Porting FSX software to Prepar3D

Today I have been testing out using FSX software with Prepar3D core product as essentially the ESP SDK is fairly common to both although LM are developing an extended SDK for their product.

So today I have been flying Aerosoft's Catalina in Aerosoft's Tahiti X with Flight1's Flight Environment Xtreme with excellent results. In the case of scenery, it is just a case of pointing your Prepar3D scenery library to your existing FSX installation library.

For the Catalina installation I created a FSX.exe dead file and saved it in the LM home folder so the installer would accept it as a home directory. It showed an error relating to a mission file but I carried on and it installed ok.

For FEX, I set the target directory in the options screen and it just got on with it and installed ok.

Looking good!

What I want more than anything is Vatsim to work - I understand SB4 can be used with Simconnect but I haven't got my head around it yet as Simconnect isn't my favourite subject... I installed photo scenery and VFR Airports successfully, but when I went back to FSX (on the same drive) all my Treescapes had vanished, so some investigation needed.

Rob.

Plan-G connected to Prepar3D immediately. it's using the FSX database, which is what I want. I simply clicked 'connect' and the yellow aeroplane icon appeared, and it works perfectly. I haven't yet tried a database build from P3D.

Rob.

Ok... to build a P3D database you need a 'dead file' copy of fsx.exe in your main P3D folder. Then set up the file paths as follows:

FSX Program: E:\Prepar3D (or wherever)

FSX Scenery.cfg: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D

And it builds fine. Far as I can see the base data is the same as FSX (looking at Bristol's airspace as guidance, since that has changed greatly over the last few years)...

• 1 year later...