banner.jpg

Our latest review is by our Reviews Editor Rob Scott.

Rob has been looking at the Geo‐Referenced Approach Plates for FSX Developed by Mudpond Development, Published by Flight.

"This is a great little utility that has FSX has needed for a long time. You will only really get the best use from it if you regularly need to consult approach charts. If you are one of these simmers then GeoApr should be a strong contender to be your next purchase."

Read on

I was very interested in this product but I don't use approach plates often enough! Yeah be fun to look at my poor landings in lime green but still is it worthy of my money - maybe not!

Great review though - to the point and nice and short too! Thanks!

Hi,

I liked reading the review as I am constantly using SID/STAR/APPR plates...generally on every flight.

I am a wee bit confused though-how does this really differ from using FS Commander or the EFB?

Is it just the addition of the VNAV profile? And perhaps I missed something-but are the global charts included or do you provide your own?

Cheers

Ted

You need to download the charts yourself, and it only works with the approach plates. Although I would assume that a SID plate would work fine too. I've not used FSC or EFB so cannot comment on how it stacks up against those

So basically it sort of "overlays" your flight profile onto the downloaded plate? Like a localized moving map?

You may want to check out the demo version of FS Commander just for comparisons sake. While I cannot comment on the EFB as I have never touched it....I do use FS Commander for 99.9% of flights....flight planning, weather, SID/STAR planning, etc ad naseum. While I do not use it's moving map/autopilot functions those are there as well. It is also a black box recorder too.

I guess I am trying to figure out where this particular product actually fits? I am a chart/planning fanatic and like to check out different applications but am scratching my head over this one.

Cheers

Ted

I can appreciate what you are saying and at face value it seems an interesting item; however, I still don't see the point when compared to FSC or EFB.

I think most pilots that use a ton of charts normally have a second monitor or PC allocated for displaying those items and any deviation from the flight path will be immediately referenced to the instruments in the cockpit and certainly noticed by ATC (if flying online).

This is what is eluding me as I read your stating it actually is a good training and navigation tool.

Nothing against your review at all....I guess I am just missing something here.

Cheers

Ted

First off, Thanks for the Review, Rob. I'm not au-fait with this level of detail in flight planning, so your insight into this new product is very useful to me. Certainly, the prospect of analysing my approaches would be edifying, to say the least! :whis:

And, I guess, that's the nub of the Review process. For me, when I set out write a Review, my principal aim is to present the salient features of the product - in a reasonably entertaining way - and to give an assessment of same, so that someone reading the Review can conclude either "Sounds interesting" or "No - that's not for me". Although the Review Score reflects my evaluation of the product's "cost effectiveness" (loosely, at least), I'd rather hope that the reader will make up his/her own mind, after assimilating the textual content.

If, as Ted suggests, the reviewed product doesn't fit in with his own requirements, then I feel that the Review has served its purpose - "No - that's not for me", nes pas?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Thanks for your feedback Ted, I think this application is just another variation on a theme, there may be over-laps or grey areas with other products but essentially this addon shows your flight's actual location on an approach plate in real-time, end of.

You won't get this with FSC or EFB , in this respect it is an unique product, it's more about the virtual pilot finding a use for it and one of those uses is the confirmation that his vertical and horizontal navigation is accurate.

Cheers,

Joe