Good day everybody,

I'm for a while now thinking of building al of my components into a homebuilt cockpit.

I don't want to focus 100% on one type of aircraft but want to build a reasonably “real” cockpit but multifunctional for more type of aircrafts.

The first think I need to look at is the proportion of al components (chair, Dash, hight of yoke etc)

I never sat in a real cockpit, but I think for instance that the hight of the Dash is much higher dan I assume..

Are there any drawing or measurements of a cockpit from a small aircraft (Cessna caravan, Beach baron 58) where I can relate to?

Thanks in advance for your help, maybe it is a newbee question but that’s not strange for me because I’m a real newbee ;-)

Kind regards,

Jan de Vries

Thank you for your quick reply.

Cockpit shots would be verry helpfull!

I want to start with the Dash, If someone could give me raw measurements about hight and with of a dash from a small aircraft (maybe there own home pit)

would be nice.

maybe I can post some photos of the componnents I already have.

kind regards,

Jan

Jan

Hi Jan,

first of all, hello :welcomeani: .

Well, you are looking for the size of a Cessna caravan or MEP Beech 58. Should be one- or two seats installed ? The original dimension has been very good proportions. I guess you have enough space to have such a build. How many and how will the monitors be mounted ? Cantilevered overhead ? What parts should be installed at all ? It would have to orient themselves at first place.

Also i´m building and using a multiplex- homebuild- cockpit with a lot of orig. aircraft- parts.

Cheers ;)

Specifications Cessna C 208B Grand Caravan

Length: 12.7 meters

Height: 4.57 meters

Wingspan: 15.9 meters

Cabin Dimensions (in)

Cabin length: 4.82 meters (complete)

Cabin width: 1.63 meters

Cabin height: 1.37 meters

Beech Baron G58

Length 29 ft 10 in 9:09 m

Height 9 ft 9 in 2.97 m

Wingspan 37 ft 10 in 11:53 m

Cabin Dimensions (in)

Cabin length 12 ft 7 in 3.84 m

Cabin width of 3 ft 6 in 1.07 m

Cabin height 4 ft 2 in 1.27 m

Guttentag Aeromax,

Ich spreche Deutch aber englisch is besser fur mich.. ;-)

I want to build a 1 seater "cockpit"

My space is limited so more to think of a Dashboard with somekind of peddestal and an car chair...

I haven to do it low butget also because my wife have to see and believe that i like it in de long run.. :-)

the componnents i have:

Saitek yoke

2 saitek trothles

saitek trimwheel

saitek multi panel

saitek switchpanel

saitek rudders

goflight modules:

2 radio

1 module flipswitches

2 module push buttons

1 display module (xpdr, adf, ap)

3 15 inch tft

matrox triplehead 2go digital

A good start would be to get an wooden board and cut is to a reasonable size daschboar.

But I don't have a clue how high this doasboard should be. (when you sit in a chair does the dashboard end chin hight or lower..)

so a measurement of the hight of a dashboard would be verry welcome

cheers,

Jan

Hi Jan,

A very warm welcome to Mutley's Hangar. You will have a great time here I'm sure of it.

If you take a look at my post here http://forum.mutleys...-cockpit-build/

You will see what I have built so far.

It is almost based on a Cessna 172 but with my own ideas also.

The size of my panel is 900mm wide x 500mm high x 320mm deep (front to back). This was to make room inside for the Saitek yoke.

I used mostly Saitek hardware but have recently started using Opencockpits cards also to work the Trim Wheel which I built and I'm hoping to build an annunciator panel which the Opencockpits cards will also power.

I hope this gives you some idea where to start.

Good luck with your build and if you get stuck, just ask questions on Mutley's Hangar. There will be someone here that will be able to help you.

Kindest Regards for now

Brian

*EDIT*, A word of warning.....Do not try to dismantle your Saitek Yoke as I did. The wiring in the handles is extremely delicate and I broke mine and had a hard job trying to find out where the wires went to.

Thank you Brain for your information.

I saw the progress on your "cockpit" fine work! Nice placement of the different saitek modules, and above al the bending wood looks great.

Do you know of the hight of 500 mm is fearly accurate according to the dimensions of a real Cessna 172?

I want to make a wooden plate with holes (for the main instruments) before a tft.

It’s too bad that it is difficult to dismantle the yoke..

I will post my progress, I’am thinking to first make a "dummy" dashboard from cardboard (carton) to see if the proportions are correct.

It’s nice to share my hobby with you guys.

Cheers,

Jan

Also have a look here; http://forum.mutleys...ulator-cockpit/

also using matrox triplehead 2go digital and http://www.sitz24.com/home/129101691/

the height of the seat-box is: 43cm (rest: 40 x 53cm)

the height of the 3 TFT lower end is: 95cm and at an angel.

and the wood is: medium density fiberboard; here called: (MDF) mittel-dichte-faserplatte.

Na, das wird schon ! Cheers :thum:

Guttentag Aeromax,

Ich spreche Deutch aber englisch is besser fur mich.. ;-)

I want to build a 1 seater "cockpit"

My space is limited so more to think of a Dashboard with somekind of peddestal and an car chair...

I haven to do it low butget also because my wife have to see and believe that i like it in de long run.. :-)

the componnents i have:

Saitek yoke

2 saitek trothles

saitek trimwheel

saitek multi panel

saitek switchpanel

saitek rudders

goflight modules:

2 radio

1 module flipswitches

2 module push buttons

1 display module (xpdr, adf, ap)

3 15 inch tft

matrox triplehead 2go digital

A good start would be to get an wooden board and cut is to a reasonable size daschboar.

But I don't have a clue how high this doasboard should be. (when you sit in a chair does the dashboard end chin hight or lower..)

so a measurement of the hight of a dashboard would be verry welcome

cheers,

Jan

So that´s nice Equipment to build the first usable homebuild- Cockpit.

Also I can recommend for possible extensions; a registered copy of FSUIPC !! Together with an Interface ´ll allow you to build your own switches and buttons. For example you get this at http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/electronic-cards-iocards-c-21.html or here: http://wiki.simple-solutions.de/en/products/Arcaze/Arcaze-USB

Cheers ;)

• 1 month later...