Extreme airport approach in Iceland! (HD)

I agree with you there Graham, I will have to try that one now!

Cheers.... Joe

Yeah - with the DC-6B, perhaps... :whis:

Maybe we should have a comp: "Who can land at BIIS with the most unsuitable airctaft - (video footage required as evidence!)"?

Another god find, Graham - Thanks! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I agree with you there Graham, I will have to try that one now!

Cheers.... Joe

Yeah - with the DC-6B, perhaps... :whis:

Maybe we should have a comp: "Who can land at BIIS with the most unsuitable airctaft - (video footage required as evidence!)"?

Another god find, Graham - Thanks! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

No problem at all Dai :) .

If your going to try landing there you had better have a look at it from the cockpit ;) . (also a Fokker 50, but in the Dark).

Cheer's...Graham...

There are several approach plates in this document...

http://www.caa.is/media/files/AD_2_BIIS.pdf

The trip into the small fjord where the airport lies is entirely visual from the looks of it. The Missed Approach Point is out in the middle of the larger fjord and the last 7.5 miles must be entirely visual. It looks like a very bad place if the WX is marginal. Imagine having the airport in sight at the MAP, turning into it and then having the WX close in before reaching it - not a pretty picture.

John

On the one approach plate that I looked at in detail, the missed approach procedure is to the NW, up the middle of the large fjord and doesn't look to be that difficult. If, however, the pilot decides at that point that he's OK and turns left up the small fjord, he's got 7.5 miles to go to the runway. Decision height is 500', but the whole route is over water. Anyway, my worst case would be having the WX get worse after the turn and losing sight of the airport and the terrain while inbound on the visual leg. That would put the pucker meter in the red.

John

Nice approach; first time I've seen it done RW :thum:

I've flown it a few times in FSX over the years, although the scenery is nothing like as good (wonder how Iceland X compares?). It's basically a VMC only approach at the end -- if you can't see up the fjord, you don't go up the fjord! Then basically you hug the right side of the fjord and do a tight 180 at the top to land. It's actually not that hard in FS, and there are track lights on the ground for you to follow (although I think that may have been an add-on).

> there are track lights on the ground for you to follow

Is this the case in the RW?

In the second video, it looks like they are following the road lights for a while untill they go into the turn.

Don't see any tracking lights in my FSX default version, did not even see any runway lights, will have to go back and try it at night to find out for sure?

BTW: I knew I was going to suck at this one as soon as the flight loaded. :whis:

2012-2-20_2-57-10-666.jpg

Anyone got a shot of this place using Iceland X scenery? might get it if it's any good ;) .

Cheer's...Graham...

If no one else have posted a shot when we get back home tomorrow night I'll try to grab one for you.

Didn't we visit this airport in the last ATWC by the way? Or was it just discussed as a possible destination. I'm pretty sure the second video was posted back then.

(null)

Hi Graham.

I'll have to get back to you on that screenshot later tonight.

After a 6 hour drive home from the in-laws I promtly fell a sleep during the process of getting my son to fall a sleep ;)

Hi Graham.

I'll have to get back to you on that screenshot later tonight.

After a 6 hour drive home from the in-laws I promtly fell a sleep during the process of getting my son to fall a sleep ;)

Thanks Stu, no rush mate! just pop them in when you have some free time :) .

Cheers...Graham...

Here's two shots for you Graham.

fsx2012022721384386.jpg

fsx2012022721361556.jpg

But I'm not 100% sure this is the mesh you get with Iceland X since I also have FS Global installed, and I havn't been able to find out which of them are the most detailed one, and thus the one showing in FSX..

And man do I need to reinstall my computer.. nothing wanted to work today.... Was stuck without the possiblity to change my point of view since Ezdok shut down all the time...

Thanks Stu :thum: .

Good shots mate, looks like Iceland X add's a lot to BIIS, I don't have the island or the road on the left hand side of the fjord in my scenery.

I found out that my GEX and UTX Europe does cover Iceland, but not very well by the looks of it :D, so Iceland X is now another one on the shopping list ;)

Cheer's...Graham...

In case you havn't seen it I wrote a review of Iceland X too..

you can find it here, and going from what I wrote in the review it appears that FS Global is the mesh that is showing... I'll try to get one more shot tonight with FS Global disabled.