Sound Card For FSX/Win7

Hi Chaps.

I have decided that a sound card might enhance the sounds in FSX? and have been trying to get an older Audigy 4 to work in Win7 64, which it does do to a certain extent, but it's really buggy and cause some system crashes.

So I just wanted to ask you guys, what sound cards you are using for FSX and windows7 ?, also please tell me if you think there are any that I should stay away from, as it seem's to be pretty hit and miss with what works in win7 with out being buggy.

Must say that I have been looking at some of the Asus sound cards, as they are well priced and seem to offer all I would need? .

Cheer's...Graham...

Graham,

To be honest, I use the on-board sound chips on my motherboard. However, I do patch this through a Bose Companion 5 speaker system that all but blows the windows out of my house!

If you get an aircraft you like, look for replacement sound sets from the likes of http://www.turbinesoundstudios.com/ they will really lift your audio quality to another level.

That's my :twocents: !

Cheers.

Joe

Thanks for the advice Joe.

TBH I was happy with my MB sound untill I read this snippet at the bottom of the system specs for the ATR 72-500 http://www.flight1.c...sp?product=atr1 and wondered if I was missing anything by not having a dedicated addon sound card :unsure:

Maybe I should have started a post asking if anyone with the ATR 72-500 noticed anything different by adding a sound card ? :unsure:.

This product is only compatible with FS2004 and FSX, so of course, these simulators are required. For your computer, we recommend you have a 1.6 GHz machine with a 128 Mb memory video card for FS2004, and a 3 GHz machine with a 256 Mb memory video card for FSX. System memory should be a minimum of 512 for FS2004 and 1 Gigabyte for FSX. Low-end on-board sound chips are NOT recommended. A plugin sound card, such as a Soundblaster Audigy, is recommended. In some cases, sounds will not work correctly unless you have an adequate sound card.

Cheer's...Graham...

PS: I really fancy thzt ATR for AH, it would come in handy for this months screen shot comp as well :rolleyes:

Thanks Gents :thum:

Yep, I did get the drivers in that link Joe, it was the only way to get Win7 to detect the Audigy 4, and it did make it work, but sadly it made random crackels and pops when in FSX, a look around on the Creative Labs forum proved this to be a very common and it would seem un-fixable problem with the Audigy 4 and Win7, I guess that these sound cards were made for older OS and thats about it really :( .

Anyway nothing lost by trying, as it had been sitting in its box on the self for the last 4 years, maybe I should sell it to somebody that still uses XP ;) .

Cheer's...Graham...

Hi Gents My first input on the forums. :)

I am using a Dell XPS 420 with a Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM) According to a logo on the front panel I have an Xcelerator, sounds all very swish but I have never worked out what that does.

My reason for an entry onto this forum is to ask if any one has any knowledge of this set up, as I had a good support package working when I was running a 32 bit system (7) I have now gone 64 bit (7) but unable to find a compatible driver plus software package and do not have the nice GUI interface I used to have to allow me to set up my audio in the variouse ways I used to.

Cheers Laurie LTW. :thum:

Hi Laurie, welcome to the Hanger :thum: .

I'm not an expert on sound cards/drivers, but I would think that you have an onboard sound chip built onto your mother board? so you should have a look at the Dell site to see if they have any updated drivers.

Failing that, you could always buy a add-on card that supports window 7 64 and turn off your onboard sound in the bios (that may be the best option, as over the last week or so I have scanned the creative labs forums and it would seem that Creative don't give very good support to any of thier products that predate the arrival of Windows 7 64 bit! so in a nutshell! if it was not designed to work with Win7, it's not their problem :( .

You can do a search for "Dell XPS 420 Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Driver A02" for Win7 if you like but beware of all those fancy driver download sites you will find, as none of their stuff has ever worked for me :( .

Hope that was helpfull

Cheer's...Graham...

Modern motherboards on board sound as has been said is more than ample for the likes of FSX and just about all other games too come to think of it.

But for serious music and/or if you use your PC with a blu ray drive for films and have good speakers a dedicated sound card can give the edge ... I've an Asus Xonar D2X PCI-e in my I7 920 rig and an Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-e in my I7 Sandy Bridge rig, through good speakers or good headphones music has never sounded so good, if you do go for a separate sound card perhaps go for PCI-e version if you can because PCI will likely be phased out in the near future, already I'm seeing new motherboards with no PCI slots.