Interview with Josh Howard of Flight

Greed killed Kodak

How so? From where I sit, digital imagery in all its various forms and Kodak's unwillingness or inability to adapt quickly or completely enough to it killed them. The marketplace voted with their wallet and Kodak lost the election because there were suddenly more convenient, more attractive, more economical alternatives to what they were selling. It's probably more accurate to say they died from having their head in the sand.

Kodak invented the digital camera, but decided that going commercial with the tech would hurt film sales (they sold tech to competing camera firms), so they decided to hold back.

Same for Sony, they were afraid mp3 files would hurt CD sales and "let" Apple take the market instead.

I'm not being funny John, but I've noticed you always defend Microsoft's vague plans for Flight and the company to the hilt, sometimes over more passionate long term flight simmers interests and ones who were a bit upset at first but have moved on now.

I'd just drop it, I cant see much more long term interest in Microsofts Flight game here.

For sure MS Flight has split the Avsim community with a sort of Defcon 1 level, (read only) with warnings bans and sue threats and all sorts of idiocy... but I ask you, who was getting over serious here? it was not casual user comments like mine.

Just let it go.

...I've noticed you always defend Microsoft's vague plans for Flight and the company to the hilt...

Like I did where I ripped apart Tom Allensworth's interview with Joshua Howard at the beginning of this thread... or my posted quotes and from the PC Pilot interview of 3/11 and my criticism of same later in this thread, to which you replied, "Well spotted, John"? Those to-the-hilt defenses of MS?

What I defend is MS' right to do what they did if they see fit. I don't agree with most of what they've done with respect to MSF, but I defend their right to do it - not their wisdom, but their right.

...sometimes over more passionate long term flight simmers interests...

You get to have an opinion about MSF; I get to have an opinion about MSF; all God's chillun's get to have an opinion about MSF and we all get to air them here if we want to, as long as we're reasonably polite about it and don't attack one another. Polite disagreement does not constitute disrespect or disdain.

By the way, I consider myself a pretty passionate, long-term flight simmer.

I'd just drop it, I cant see much more long term interest in Microsofts Flight game here.

I mostly do not initiate the threads and comments on MSF here and most of what I post about it is in direct response to what someone else has posted.

I have no interest in MSF as a user. Everything I know about it is from what I've seen from others on line. From those things I think I understand it reasonably well. I will not download the free pieces and will certainly not buy any of the DLC. However, I have a fairly high level of interest in MSF as a serious flight simmer because of who publised it and because of the massive amount of angst and discussion it has caused in the FS user community. I suspect as that dies down, so will my posts on the topic.

For sure MS Flight has split the Avsim community with a sort of Defcon 1 level, (read only) with warnings bans and sue threats and all sorts of idiocy...

I haven't much intrest in AVSIM. They're a shadow of their former selves since the hacking of a couple years ago and I only ever used them as a download source or to read a review occasionally, or if a web search on an FS techinical issue leads me to a thread in one of their forums - that happens infrequently. If AVSIM in it's entirety were taken down tomorrow it would be next month before I'd notice, unless I saw other's comments about it.

As for splitting their community I don't think MS or MSF bears primary responsibility for that. What I've read in links to some of their content posted here at MH leads me to believe that most of the idiocy was AVSIM's own doing and was exacerbated by the immaturity of some of what passes for discussion there. Personal attacks and threats as debating tools don't do much for me; I won't post on the JF General Chat forum for the same reason (personal attacks, not threats). It may be that MS is pulling the strings while AVSIM dances, or maybe it's just the way Mr. Allensworth sees the world. I don't know and I don't care much about what happens at AVSIM.

...but I ask you, who was getting over serious here? it was not casual user comments like mine.

You have made many serious comments about MSF in this thread and in other posts at MH, none of which are out of line as far as I can remember.

What's the beef if others say serious things here too... or did you mean at AVSIM?

Just let it go.

Speaking as sincerely as I know how, I appreciate your comments but I probably won't do that. I'm an opinionated cuss and make few apologies for it. Others may not agree with my opinions, which doesn't get my shorts in a knot. I enjoy lively, intelligent, thoughtful, respectful, humorous discussions on topics in which I have an interest and I indulge myself by participating in them and sometimes by precipitating them here at MH. I intend to continue doing that.

John

Well said John, I do find your views hard to argue because you don't leave yourself wide open and prefer to stick to the finer points of an argument. Good writing skills are also a plus.

Well I do enjoy a good whiskey anyway. As far as women, I was always afraid that if I figured them out God would strike me dead, no one is allowed to understand them or our whole world as we know it would collapse. Your really just allowed to Think you understand them.