After all my hardware issues I'm now about ready to re-install FSX.

I just wondered if there's anything to watch out for?

I'm sure I've read some stuff about not installing too much scenery at one time and running FSX in between installs - just not sure!

Any tips from folks who have undertaken fresh installs.

Does anyone know where REX themes are saved? I was hoping I may still have them somewhere as I had all my FSX related stuff on a separate drive to my OS Drive.

Cheers

Graeme

I am in the middle of a complete FSX install too Graeme. There is a download to cure the black scenery squares when over the sea or land, but I have forgotten where; any ideas??

Hope you are going well, I am..

James

I would recommend buying a good backup/recovery utility so that once you have a stable build (eventually after all install) you can just revert back to a known state?

I use the following:

Windows XP - Acronis True Image

Windows 7 - Paragon Backup and Recovery (Free)

As for tips and stuff - I would say only install what you use at the moment and build on it later on. No need to clutter it all up right now if necessary. Dont forget about FSX config tweaks if you need them and also I have heard not to install FSX in its default location - install in say C:/FSX or something. Never tried this myself but maybe next time :)

Good luck instaling all that lot again buddy :rofl: .

But at least you timeing is good, REX3 has just been realeased so you may as well download and install that one a nice clean HD :thum:

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/7233-rex-essential-new-update-on-its-way/page__pid__64974__st__20#entry64974

Cheer's...Graham...

PS: Maybe I should do my drive as well, coz things are getting pretty slow in FS for me ATM :( .

There must be something in the air! I am having to replace a failing SSD, unfortunately it's my OS drive as well. Then comes the re-install of FSX.

I would follow the links from Clem on re-installing.

As for REX Essential, the new version has a feature called REX EDGE which is a cloud based system where you can backup your theme textures to their server, you have to create a free account to use it, all done within the GUI.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had a harddrive fail, so after purchasing a new one I did the win7 and all updates and reinstalled Fsx and sp1, then acceleration and played..Then I installed traffic x and played, then ground environment europe , played , and then my aircraft..All ran sweetly, so what I did then was clone that drive to another freshly formatted drive I can boot from if all goes wrong in the future..

Ps. what a great site, wish I had found earlier..