• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

new model, new paints:

Looking great as always. :thum:

I haven't taken the plunge on this one yet but you are tempting me a lot :D

Oh! go on, you know that you want it really, you was talking about this one for months before it was released ;) .

BOT: Very nice paint job JK, looking forward to seeing what others you come up, would be nice to see some of the WBS P51 skins ported over to the new A2A plane :) .

Cheer's...Graham...

PS: Bet that Sabre adds this one to his hanger by the end of this weekend :P ,

(don't tell your wife ;) ) .

well, here's my first paint, now on OZx:

FX17608.jpg

Sabre, believe me, you don't want it. I mean, it is only another MUSTang, and it is by A2A, so why should you buy it, really?

Looking even better JK.

so now that you have had some time in the new A2A P5, what are you first thoughts about it and how does it compare to the Warbird sim "D" mustangs???

Just asking as I have just seen the WBS "Twilight Tear" http://www.warbirdsim.com/ which is a plane I would like to have in my hanger, do you have any plans to paint this one on the A2A model?

Cheer's...Graham...

Hi Joe,

I posted the homer pic in referance to the banter between the two G's, I pictured Sabre having the same internal fight as me.

It's on my wish list still, along with the B-17. I like the size of the big bomber and the sound of all four engines are a kick but not sure if it would get as much use as the smaller fighter. I could see myself doing some hot and fast valley flying in it but I also have had trouble controling them(freeware) in the past. It seems like you don't land them as much as line them up with the runway and let them drop onto it. I'm building a new home right now and am trying to be "good", plus my wife wants to buy silly things like furniture and curtains :D . I also have my eye on the new 3D Instant Object Studio. Hmmmm, so many choices.....

Take care,

in that case, allow me to tempt you a bit more:

FX17705.jpg

FX17715.jpg

FX17719.jpg

FX17722.jpg

“Bad Angel” was flown by Lt. Louis Curdes of the 4th Fighter Squadron, 3rd Air Commando Group. He is one of a very few American pilots to have kills against each of the three major Axis powers, and I believe the only US pilot to display an American flag among his victory markings.

While serving in the MTO, Curdes downed several Fw-190’s, and one of the Macchi C.202’s he downed is now on display at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington DC. He was shot down over Italy and spent a short time as a POW before escaping. Because he was an escaped POW, he couldn’t fly again against the Germans for security reasons.

He was transferred to the PTO, and on February 10, 1945, during a sweep to Batan Island, he saw a P-51 pilot parachute into the sea. Curdes circled around him to pinpoint his position to rescuers. While circling, he saw a USAAF C-47 that was preparing to land on the Japanese-held strip on Batan. The C-47 crew didn’t respond to repeated attempts at radio contact and, unable to shepherd the C-47 to safety, Curdes saw only two possibilities – first that it was a Japanese plane bearing false US markings (the DC-3 having been built under licence in Japan prior to the war), or it was a US plane whose crew was unaware the field had fallen to the Japanese. He therefore carefully shot out both engines, causing the plane to land in the sea. All 13 people on board the C-47 were rescued – and they were indeed Americans, including a nurse Curdes had previously dated.

so now that you have had some time in the new A2A P5, what are you first thoughts about it and how does it compare to the Warbird sim "D" mustangs???

Just asking as I have just seen the WBS "Twilight Tear" http://www.warbirdsim.com/ which is a plane I would like to have in my hanger, do you have any plans to paint this one on the A2A model?

comparing the two, mmmmm, tricky...

Warbirdsim has all the different models, with all their subtle differences completely 100% correct, and they look truly fantastic.

A2A has just one model, well OK, also the Iwo version with all the antennae, but the depth of the systems is far superior to the WBS version.

Also, it does not look bad at all, though there are some errors in the external model. Not quite what you'd expect from A2A, but there nonetheless.

So the choice is yours really. You don't care that much about overheating the oil, or passing out do to a defective oxygen system? Go for WBS.

You don't care that the instruments are not 1000% as they were in that particular aircraft, or that the shape of the tail, nose or canopy is not perfect? Go for A2A.

Me, I have both, and I am quite happy with them.

As for "Twilight Tear", the aircraft is currently not on my list to paint (and the list is long), so don't count on it coming from me.

Besides, I am not really that interested in modern warbirds, me, I try to honor the actual young guys flying these things during WWII by painting their aircraft.

FX17746.jpg

Thank you!

Here's a few for Iwo Jima:

P-51D-25 44-72855, 462th FS/506 FG, #643 'Providence Permittin', as flown by Lieutenants Allen F.Colley and Leonard A. Dietz. 'Providence Permittin'' was a favorite saying of Lt Colley's grandmother.

FX17785.jpg

FX17794.jpg

FX17791.jpg

P-51D-25 44-72570, 457th FS/506 FG, #542 'Fighting Lady', flown by Lieutenants Gardner and Jatczak. Based at Airfield No 3, Iwo Jima, Summer 1945.

FX17774.jpg

FX17775.jpg

FX17778.jpg

comparing the two, mmmmm, tricky...

Warbirdsim has all the different models, with all their subtle differences completely 100% correct, and they look truly fantastic.

A2A has just one model, well OK, also the Iwo version with all the antennae, but the depth of the systems is far superior to the WBS version.

Also, it does not look bad at all, though there are some errors in the external model. Not quite what you'd expect from A2A, but there nonetheless.

So the choice is yours really. You don't care that much about overheating the oil, or passing out do to a defective oxygen system? Go for WBS.

You don't care that the instruments are not 1000% as they were in that particular aircraft, or that the shape of the tail, nose or canopy is not perfect? Go for A2A.

Me, I have both, and I am quite happy with them.

As for "Twilight Tear", the aircraft is currently not on my list to paint (and the list is long), so don't count on it coming from me.

Besides, I am not really that interested in modern warbirds, me, I try to honor the actual young guys flying these things during WWII by painting their aircraft.

Thanks for that JK, I'll just sit on the fence for a while and see if A2A bring out a patch to fix some of that stuff, before I pull the trigger on anything ;) .

Cheer's...Graham...

PS: I'm sure that Sabre would not be too bothered by those little things though ;) .

one more for the 462nd FS:

FX17807.jpg

FX17805.jpg

P-51D-20 44-72587, 462th FS/506 FG, #619 "Hon. Mistake, as flown by Lieutenants William G. Ebersole and James R. Bercaw. Based at Airfield No 3, Iwo Jima, Summer 1945. Lt Ebersole was the youngest pilot of the 506th FG. He enrolled at 18, and was 20 years old in 1945 on Iwo Jima. He would fly 12 mission, 10 of which were VLR missions

Here he is on Iwo:

342-FH-3A-42337-67945AC_462nd_fs_6xx_ebersole.JPG?m=1305563449.

last one for now, the holidays are coming up

FX17877.jpg

FX17878.jpg

FX17881.jpg

FX17885.jpg

bit of background: P-51D-20-NA 44-72612 #555 "My Draling Betty Ann / The Old Lady" was flown by Lts James E. Coleman and Ralph R. Coltman Jr. of the 458th FS/506th FG, based on Iwo Jima between may and august 1945. Many aircraft of 458th retained the old striped tail colors that were applied before the move to Iwo, while the other FS of the 506th changed to solid tail colors. Lt Coltman stayed in the air for over 9 hours on 8 july 1945, when he was assisting in the rescue of a downed pilot just off the coast of Japan.