• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On 22nd December 1964, the first flight of the SR-71 blackbird began at Air Force Plant No. 42 in California, piloted by Lockheed test pilot Robert 'Bob' Gilliland. It flew faster than 1000 mph and r

On this day 91 years ago................................my dear old Mum was born, Happy Birthday Mum!   Mike

Sorry to hear fame went to Bader's head. Guess he had to by his own drinks then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On this day in history, 19th December 1910 the Curtiss Aeroplane Company was founded which became the largest aeroplane manufacturer in the US in the 20's and 30's.

In later years, when they became Curtiss-Wright, they developed the well known C46

Also on this day in 1997 the loss of a Silk Air 737 in Indonesia became the start of a highly publicised and controversial debate between the two main independent investigative teams as to the probable cause.

Great link Brett. There have been a number of programmes about the incident, some biased towards one camp more than the other.

Always nice to see Greg Feith...Great investigator, relentless pursuit of the cause, charismatic, and the coloured ties are incredible.

21st December 1988

On this date in history, the one and only (literally) Antonov 225 took to the skies. It was originally built to carry the Russian version of the space shuttle (strange how similar they look eh), and is still flying huge loads around the world today. A completely jaw dropping aircraft.

Sadly, the same day is marked in history following the Pan Am incident over Lockerbie Scotland. Forever remembered...

Have they ever finished the second AN-225? When the first one entered commercial service it was such a success they were going to try to finish a second one that had been laid up when partially completed. Have never heard how that's going.

Not sure the 2nd An-225 ever got back in the air. Last i read it was sat on an airfield, completely untouched. Given that its probably not cost effective to try and rebuild it from the original airframe, maybe theyll just use it as parts for the main ac and then build their own version of the A380 ?

Anyone else out there know if there is any update on the big bird?

I found this buried in the Wiki article on the AN-225...

By 2000, the need for additional An-225 capacity had become apparent, so the decision was made in September 2006 to complete the second An-225. The second airframe was scheduled for completion around 2008,[15] then delayed. By August 2009, the aircraft had not been completed and work had been abandoned.[2][16] In May 2011 Antonov CEO is reported to have said that the completion of a second An-225 Mriya transport aircraft with a carrying capacity of 250 tons requires at least $300 million, but if the financing is provided, its completion could be achieved in three years.[17] According to different sources, the second jet is 60–70% complete.

25 years ago today

Pan Am Flight 103 crashed near Lockerbie after a terrorist bombing

Re the other An-225, it could be done. They are talking about restarting the An-124 production, so some savings could come from there (since many cockpit parts, engines etc are shared)

On this date, 22nd December 1964, those clever cloggs at the Lockheed 'skunk works' sent up the beautiful SR-71 Blackbird on its first flight. Still a stunning aircraft to look at even now.

+1   It  :censored:  Rocks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This day in history, 18th January 2005, saw the big reveal of the Airbus A380 at the Airbus factory in Toulouse, France.

There was a very interesting documentary called ' Building the biggest' charting the development, assembly and testing which is well worth watching.

This plane is my favourite IRL. Visited the factory a couple of years back during a bike trip around France, and flew on it in 2012. Completely awesome!

On this day in 1919 Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, CBE, DSC, AFC, Hon FRAeS was born in Leith, near Edinburgh in Scotland. He first flew when he was eight or ten when he was taken up in a Gloster Gauntlet by his father, the younger Brown sitting on his father's knee. A former Royal Navy officer and test pilot, Captain Brown has flown more types of aircraft than anyone else in history, piloting 487 different aircraft types. He is also the Fleet Air Arm’s most decorated living pilot and holds the world record for aircraft carrier landings – 2,407.

• 2 weeks later...

71 years ago today:

30th January 1943 was the tenth anniversary of Hitler’s rise to power.

To coincide with the commemorative rallies, the first daylight raids over Berlin took place on that day when Mosquitoes carried out two attacks timed to disrupt speeches being delivered by Reichsmarschall Hermann Göering and Joseph Goebbels, the Third Reich’s Propaganda Minister, at the main broadcasting station.

Read more here

Great poster and an interesting way to send a message. :D I like the complete opposite demeanor of the pilots in the picture. Two handsome serviceman, one serious and thoughtful and the other one relaxed with a touch of bravado. I hope they both made it unscathed throughout the war. :)

• 1 month later...

On this day in history 1969, one of, if not THE most iconic aircraft ever built, the Concorde, took to the skies.

Flying on one used to be one of the things on most peoples 'bucket list' in the 70s and 80s... sadly Airbus has ensured this remarkable machine will never fly again thanks to them not being able to support necessary maintenance and parts required to get an Airworthiness Certificate ... or so they told me when I visited the Airbus factory in Toulouse a couple if years back.

I was lucky to fly on it in 1985 on the inaugural British Airways flight between London and Luxembourg, and it was definitely the most incredible flight of my life. Unfortunately I cannot find any of the photos from the day (they were lost courtesy of an ex boyfriend), but I still have my certificate, first day cover and many fond memories of a beautiful example of engineering :D

Minx

the 225  has personified the phrase aluminium overcast I was lucky enough to be at the Farnborough air show on press day when it first showed up and had a walk through it

I have some home made vids of the A380 doing circuits here at perpignan . The airport here sees all the Airbus test planes especially when it is windy so they can asses the new a/c handling in gusty x winds

In my video you can see the 380 having a few stopping wing drops on short final as it suffered from insufficient aeleron authority, something that was corrected quite soon after ward by a new wing design.

We used to have great evenings at Popham in the winter with a whole host of speakers who were mostly test pilots or the like one evening we had Brian Trubshaw the concorde test pilot and the place was packed sadly the talk was as dry as dust and by far the worst speaker we ever had there, still i got him to sign my copy of his book.

Would be cool to see your A380 footage. Is it on YouTube?

I must get around to putting some of my flight vids on there sometime... even if its only to save some space on the home pc ;)

Do they still do "talks" at Popham ?

Steph I will have to try to put the vid on you tube , i will have to edit it smaller though as it is over an hour long.

I already have loads of motorcyling videos there if that is of interest.

ref Popham the manager who organised all these marvellous evenings retired last year (he was given 2 fly by's by the BOB lancaster and the vulcan) The new manager doesnt seem to be going down too well at the moment with some of the membership so it remains to be seen if he will continue with those evenings or indeed if he stays.

Fantastic footage! Always a pleasure seeing the BOB too. Love the sound of those engines! !

Shame there aren't more places locally that have guest speakers. There is a well know writer, Tony Blackman, who is local but I've always missed his talks..

• 1 month later...

On this day 49 years ago (April 6, 1965), the BAC TSR-2 was axed by Harold Wilson's Labour government in favour of the General Dynamics F-111. TSR.2 was the last significant attempt by the UK to single handedly design and develop a top tier military aircraft.