AI pilots workload

Hi all. After a slow start I'm really getting into AH now and having amassed a bit of cash in the bank have taken on my first pilot and leased a bird. My question is do the AI pilots just keep on working 24/7 with no breaks, etc? Are they only allowed to fly for a limited time per day?

One other query, does AH generate its own AI traffic or does it rely on the traffic settings in FSX?

Cheers.

The answers above are correct.  AI work 24/7 and require no rest periods, breaks, etc. but do require 30 minutes to load and 30 to unload.  Also, if the AC is due for a 100 hour inspection, they will cool their heels in the bar while that if being performed - a typical duration for that is about 3 hours, more or less.  The good news is you don't get a bar bill for them.

With respect to your AI as traffic it's different for FS9 and FSX.  In FS9 your AI will not show up as traffic unless you were to somehow add your own AI flights, individually to the files for your traffic program, which would be a huge, ongoing effort for little value.  AH does nothing in that respect.

In FSX, AH sends the details of your AI flights to the FSX traffic engine via SimConnect.  Beyond that AH has no further control or interaction with the visible traffic.  They may show and they may not.  If they do show up, their departure and arrival may only approximately line up with what you see on your AI operations schedules.  If FSX deigns to recognize and use them they will fly between the correct pair of airports in the aircraft you have your AI flying and you can watch them from another AC or a traffic following utility, but it's all kind of iffy whether FSX will recognize and use them at all.

Welcome to the world of AH, and to Mutley's Hangar.

John

Thanks for the answers. My question regarding AI traffic was just an observation from a recent flight into an uncontrolled field where having announced being on finals on advisory radio, another aircraft announced behind 8 miles behind me intending to land on the same runway. I vacated the runway sharpish as he announced 3 miles to land but no aircraft showed up! Presumably one the many FSX vagaries.

Thanks anyway.

Looks like there may be other issues with the AI thing. Flying just in FSX - no AH or VOXATC (which I'm trying) - with traffic sliders set to max nothing shows up. DO you know whether any of these programs overwrite any basic FSX AI files?

FSX AI files are short-term one-time things, sent to FSX while AH and FSX are running.  They should not over-write any other traffic files (but who knows what FSX and SimConnect really do behind the scenes?).   You should not see any AH AI traffic in FSX unless AH is running, or at least not if FSX has been shut down and re-started since the last time AH was run.

If you're not seeing default FSX traffic or any traffic from an add-on traffic program when running FSX (with or without AH running), that's an issue with FSX and/or your traffic program. There is no way for AH to interfere with that.

John

I read about the FS9 and FSX issues and, just in case, ran a program called AI Flight Planner which can scan the files and correct any FS9 ones. Did this even though I've no additional AI add-ons installed. Still no traffic showing though! I realise that this is probably not the correct forum for this now.

Hi snowingairlines - thanks for that link it was a very interesting post. However, I'm not too bothered about seeing my other AH pilot in FSX - I usually send him to some godforsaken place that I don't want to go to anyway! Even when i'm in FSX without AH running I seem to be missing the majority of traffic. As an example I've just been at London Heathrow at midday in the summer with traffic at 100% and there was nothing. Usually I wouldn't be able to get a word in edgeways. Also whilst in flight I can get a warning that an aircraft is within 1 mile of me but can't see it anywhere. I've only the default FSX traffic installed. I can't remember whether it happened after I installed VOXATC or not but I've tried uninstalling that and it's no different. I think that program uses its own AI generator.