Sekiu to Orcas Island Airport

Decided to vacation in Washington State this year and I am renting a spot at Sekiu Airport (11S) So far the weather has been a little touchy since I came in last week during the night and I haven't had a chance to sightsee. A buddy of mine called and wanted to buy me lunch over in Eastsound on Orcas Island, sounds good to me. The winds were kicking at around 10 knots and still raining on and off, better than the high winds of the past week though. The Bonanza is a good aircraft so I decided to go. The call of the skies was to strong. :)

I had I little time to take a short run around the coast line so off I go, leaving via runway 8.

11S_01.jpg~original

Leaving Clallem Bay with Olsens boat docks below and turning to the west,

11S_02.jpg~original

Passing Kydaka Point and the far east point of Clallem Bay behind me,

11S_03.jpg~original

Circling around Neah Bay. You can see Wadaah Island with the connecting Boom road sand barrier on the right of the picture and Cape Flattery in the background,

11S_04.jpg~original

Once I got a good look at the bay I continued west around Cape Flattery which is the upper northwest corner of the state of Washington. There are some rugged looking cliffs on this point and I spotted the smaller Tatoosh Island off the point, the Cape Flattery Lighthouse is parked here. 

11S_05.jpg~original

Leaving the lighthouse, there is a good view of the cliffs of Cape Flattery, Tatoosh Island and way across Strait of Juan de Fuca is Vancouver Island.

11S_06.jpg~original

Rounding the Cape into Makah Bay shows some beautiful tidal rivers within,

11S_07.jpg~original

11S_08.jpg~original

After flying south for a bit I checked the time and realized I needed to turn back for now and meet my friend. Heading east I flew back over Sekiu to get my bearings,

11S_09.jpg~original

I set a Direct To in the GPS but decided to follow the ADF at Friday Harbor instead and then approach Orcas Island Airport from the south through East Sound. Along the way I passed over the southern end of Vancouver Island near Victoria.

11S_10.jpg~original

Passing over Guthrie Point on the southwest part of Orcas Island that is shaped like a horseshoe. Out my window is Twin rocks and the airport is on the northern most part of the island in the distance.

11S_11.jpg~original

I fly over Fishing Bay, lining up with the runway and take a quick glance at the town of Eastsound from above.

11S_12.jpg~original

Wind starting to gust to around 15kts as I come in to KORS.

11S_13.jpg~original

I decide to fill up, the fuel is cheaper here. Might as well fill out my log book as I wait for the old dog to finish the funny papers.

11S_14.jpg~original

Time to meet my friend and chow down on some crab legs and swill some beer. :)

This ended up being longer then I intended, if your still with me here, I hope you enjoyed following along on my day trip, see you next time my friends.......... :hat:

Great shots, these give you a real sense of adventure.

Thanks Phil, nice of you to say.

Best PIREP I have seen for ages Brett, superb shots!

We know that's not true with all the fine flights we see here but I'll take the compliment with a smile anyway. :)  

Nice shots Brett :thum:

Not that im in any hurry to drag myself away from my Sun lounger and cold beer, but you've inspired me to fire up my Orcas and PNW when I get back to the UK. It really is a beautiful region to explore.

:D

Thanks Steph, :thum: I enjoy flying over the hill into the runway at Orcas. I agree the PNW is a dandy of an area and probably the reason why ORBX chose it as their first full region.

Great shots, these give you a real sense of adventure.

Thanks Phil, nice of you to say.

Best PIREP I have seen for ages Brett, superb shots!

We know that's not true with all the fine flights we see here but I'll take the compliment with a smile anyway. :)

Tut! Beardies loving one another again.

Good pics and pirep though. : )