FS Global Weather released

THE ULTIMATE WEATHER ENGINE for FSX, PREPAR3D and others

FSG Real Weather is a fast loading, easy to use, weather engine for Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Lockheed Martins prepar3D. 

It not only delivers weather data calculated out of realtime data of more than 24.000 observation stations (land- and seabased) worldwide. It also calculates air masses and temperatues for upper airlevels on a scientific base, which is absolutely necessary for correct flight planning using real world tools. It is available as a download and sometimes later as a boxed version. 

Download an evaluation version from here! If you like it, you can purchase a license directly within the application or through our website. 

Main Features:

• easy to use and straightforward
  • fast data download
  • weather data based on 24.000+ weather observation stations
  • land- and seabased stations (=> ocean weather accurate)
  • accurate cloud types (mapped to available sim types)
  • accurate upper air winds
  • accurate lower air winds
  • correct ATC and AI traffic
  • accurate CAT
  • accurate in-cloud-turbulance
  • static, dynamic or file mode
  • historic weather (also supporting static, dynamic or file mode)
  • weather files on server updated every 30 minutes
  • try before you buy
  • PURCHASE FROM WITHIN THE PROGRAM POSSIBLE
  • and more ... 

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=253b8b5c-0a91-4935-8d01-b3c70aee6034

Whilst REX is a long way from perfect I still think overall it is the best. Hopefully some of its shortcomings are currently being addressed in the beta that is doing the rounds.

Opus is quicker but has other shortcomings and relies on using whatever textures are in the fsx library so many use the REX textures, sort of defeats the object really, IMHO why have 2 or 3 weather progs? there is bound to be some interaction which causes problems.

I will try this new effort on my FSX drive where I try new progs and see what it is like, however like opus this seeems to also rely on the textures already in FSX, they also intimate that it supplies atc and ai traffic so this may interfere with your existing ai traffic program.

Hi everyone!

I'm one of the developers of FS Global Real Weather, just to clear up some things:

.) FSGRW does not come with its own AI or ATC. It works with ATC and AI (ome Add-Ons don't do that very well!). AI Planes will be landing and departing on correct runways and ATC will guide to the correct runway without having to manually reset something. The software takes care of this!

.) The difference between the other tools and FSGRW is that we don't just use METARs and Upper Air Forecasts to provide the weather. We have many other data sources to create realistic weather where other reports don't have any details. As an example: having CAVOK in a METAR does not mean that there are no clouds. FSGRW doesn't "randomly" create clouds there. It creates them by using other real-world weather sources (where available).

To sum it up: the focus of FSGRW is to provide the most REALISTIC weather. This is a different approach than trying to provide the most beautiful one (I remember firing up another weather tool that lets me choose how many cloud layers I want; users suggested to select 20 - this looked nice in the simulator but is far from realistic because when have ever looked into the sky to see 20 cloud layers!??). It's a different approach than others may have; we did not focus on textures etc, we fully spent the development time to find as much real weather data sources as possible to feed our "atmopshere simulation engine" to get the best results. 

Also, FSGRW works with station mode (not global mode), so you can actually see the weather in the distance (so you're able to avoid towering cumulus etc) and it provides solutions to typical station mode problems (wind smoothing - no more strange wind jumps resulting in overspeed).

One last thing to mention is the "local weather phenomena" feature that will be extended and grow in the future: this simulates weather phenomena typical for certain airports or regions in the world (ie airports in the mountains, where winds may turn totally different when climbing / descending than they do on flat terrain etc).

We have an evaluation version out, so everyone can try!

Regards,

Bernd

@Bernd-Thanks Bernd and welcome to the site. I look forward to the local weather phenomena feature, sounds like a winner. The other item that interests me is the ability to make the clouds look more realistic as far as the count and weather by station. Flying the other day toward an oncoming storm front did not give me what I was looking for. I appreciate your input to clarify some of these points and wish you and your company the best of wishes on your new release. :)

@Britfrog-Thanks for the reply. So far I like REX, one, because of the textures and two, because of the increase in realtime weather. I might add that it does seem to be a bit behind when you compare it to what your seeing outside though and I have read here that Opus is it little better in that department. Now we have another contender in the mix that sounds as if it might be even better. I was leery about REX at first due to reading about folks having problems and I have been very lucky so far with my computer and how it runs. So far I have not had any problems with it but am a bit afraid of adding this new program so I appreciate your offer to test it out on another machine.(a luxury I do not have) The only other thing that turns me off is the price, 53.00 bucks US. That's a lot of moolah for something like a weather program at a time when the economy is tight.

Thank you for your welcome!

@Bernd-Thanks Bernd and welcome to the site. I look forward to the local weather phenomena feature, sounds like a winner. The other item that interests me is the ability to make the clouds look more realistic as far as the count and weather by station. Flying the other day toward an oncoming storm front did not give me what I was looking for. I appreciate your input to clarify some of these points and wish you and your company the best of wishes on your new release. :)

@Britfrog-Thanks for the reply. So far I like REX, one, because of the textures and two, because of the increase in realtime weather. I might add that it does seem to be a bit behind when you compare it to what your seeing outside though and I have read here that Opus is it little better in that department. Now we have another contender in the mix that sounds as if it might be even better. I was leery about REX at first due to reading about folks having problems and I have been very lucky so far with my computer and how it runs. So far I have not had any problems with it but am a bit afraid of adding this new program so I appreciate your offer to test it out on another machine.(a luxury I do not have) The only other thing that turns me off is the price, 53.00 bucks US. That's a lot of moolah for something like a weather program at a time when the economy is tight.

If you give me UTC time and location I can check myself what was wrong with the storm you expected - was it just not there or were there other problems?

Regarding the price: we focused a whole lot time on getting the best real weather sources; the "content" may look less because there are no textures etc. The development was focused on real weather depiction from day one. Airline pilots in our test team repeated a real-life flight they had the day before with historic weather in our tool and that feedback was the most important to us, not "good looking" weather. People were surprised that they had turbulence in their simulated flight at the same position they had it in the real one .Of course, 100 % accuracy is simply not possible; it lacks some data here and there and FSX just doesn't contain all the features required by this (just as an example: our real world data sources report up to 25 different cloud layers - FSX knows 4 *g*). Pretty simple: if even airliners in the "real world" cannot exactly tell where turbulence will be on their flight and what exact winds they will have, how could we have that in the sim? But we're pretty close and still improving every day.

Bernd

Just a quick update on the road map: for the next update we're working on network support (WideFS and SimConnect) as well as better overcast depiction (optional because of possible performance impacts). For the update thereafter we're considering FS9 support (yes, still heavily requested!).

Of course, if you experience bugs or faulty weather depiction, please let me know and I will include fixes on the weather generation itself too.

Bernd

PS: All the newest information is also available on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/FS-Global-Real-Weather/367418523372390

Thanks for the update Bernd. Your enthusiasm is contagious. :)

Yeah, it's not just promotion anymore, it turned out to be something very personal, because I want to make people clear that I'm not stupid enough to spend months of development (beside a full-time job) to create "just another weather engine" for an already croweded market :D. Or maybe I am....  :wacko2:!?

Thanks for your welcome here on the forums, it's great to be here  :)!

As indicated on another thread REX has released a new SP and it certainly makes their prog much better, However there is always someone looking at the same problems with another slant on how to make things better.

Bernd I will try your product on another drive (for vfr flights) and see how it goes, I do think though that the price is a bit high in a market place that by your own admittance has more than one competitor. and quite possibly still one or more to arrive at the dinner table.

I hope you retain your openess and enthusiasm as your program advances.

Oh and BTW welcome to the most open, friendly, sim site

OK Berndt, just installed yor program and came across a problem straight away, it doesnt recognise that I already have the latest version of fsuipc installed or .net framework and it wont work unless i redownload them . so i redownloaded fsuipc and now i have an unregistered version of a product I have already bought!!!! Not an auspicious start. I am not about to mess with .net framework as I know I also have the latest version of that installed . I cannot find an uninstall in your directory or in the program panel in control panel so have simply deleted the folder on the c drive are there any other entries to delete?

Hi britfrog!

1.) It doesn't recognize any FSUIPC installation, because it doesn't know for what simulator you want to use our tool. You could have installed FSUIPC in P3D and it might be missing in FSX - if you only want to use our tool in P3D there's no need for us to shout for the most current version.

2.) You don't have to install FSUIPC during the setup process. The tools asks you to install the latest version of FSUIPC because it's needed for some features, but if you already have it, just click "No" and it won't install.

3.) .NET Framework 4.0 is required, none of the current licence holders or beta testers ever had a problem with that - if you tell me what happend before redownloading and installing .NET Framework 4.0 I can help!

4.) Even if you already have FSUIPC installed, your registration doesn't go away by reinstallling it. FSUIPC asks you (after the installation) if you want to add new registrations or keep the previous ones. I'm sure you do NOT have to license FSUIPC again, if you already own it.

5.) Uninstall is a simple deletion of the folder and the (optional) shortcut, because we make no registry entries or changes to other system directories or files.

Your problems seem very uncommon to me and it might be related to a special configuration, but I'd be happy to help you to set it up and get it running, just drop me an e-mail, I'm online now :).

Bernd

why is it whenever i have a problem the stock devs response is you must have a special config? I had the same from Earth sim.

My fsx installation is so standard that i even still use the standard x86 directory and not put it on the C drive as many do.

@britfrog

No need to take this personal. We had a lot of testers during the BETA phase and none of them has ever reported a problem like this. So what would you say is the difference?

I didn't tell you "you have a special configuration, sorry for this" and let you standing in the rain; I offered you to contact me so we'll check what the problem is so saying you only got a "standard dev response" is a bit unfair from my point of view.

Anyway, I'm sure we get those problems fixed for you  :thum:.

Bernd

Hi!

Anyone who owns Opus: can you please help me with an issue here!? I set myself to LFPG and injected the weather. The other two airports in Paris (LFPO and LFPB) do have the same wind as LFPG has, even though the metars report different values. Can somebody confirm this or do I have something not setup correctly?

Just doing some comparison work here to know what to improve in the next updates :).

Thanks,

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

If you can wait and no-one else answers, I can let you know in the morning.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe!

Thank you very much. I think I figured it out already; as long as I stand in LFPG, the weather of the surrounding (near) airports is the same. This is because of limitations of the weather theme mode that Opus uses. You can not set the weather at stations, you can only set it for a certain tile. Opus updates the weather as your flight progresses...

However, I was not able to solve my issue, because I was using FSX ATC und AI and ATC assigned me the wrong approach (because the weather was not yet set at the airports) and AI took off on wrong runways... 

Bernd

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bernd,

I am trying to install the demo, and I also can't get past the .net error message. I have .net 4.0 and all the updates already installed, and don't want to screw around with reinstalling it.

Is there a web page and a manual available for this product?

I have found it very difficult to find out any detailed info on this product and how it works. I don't have facebook, and have no interest in obtaining it.

I have a multi PC and multi monitor home cockpit networked with wideview and a licensed FSUIPC. Can you tell me how the FSUIPC bridge works? Do you install anything on the clients?

Is this program capable of networking multi PC's without being run through Wideview? The problem I have with the other weather programs run through Wideview is that they don't update the server weather on the clients properly. If this is possible, It could be of extreme interest to cockpit builders!

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill and welcome to the site. :welcomeani:  Hopefully Bernd will check in and help you out or even one of the other smart folks here at Mutley's will chime in. Unfortunately I am not one of them and can't help you out. :D  Good luck on getting the program running.

Hi Bill and welcome to the site. :welcomeani:  Hopefully Bernd will check in and help you out or even one of the other smart folks here at Mutley's will chime in. Unfortunately I am not one of them and can't help you out. :D  Good luck on getting the program running.

Thanks for the nice welcome Brett!

Bill

Hi Bernd,

I am trying to install the demo, and I also can't get past the .net error message. I have .net 4.0 and all the updates already installed, and don't want to screw around with reinstalling it.

Is there a web page and a manual available for this product?

I have found it very difficult to find out any detailed info on this product and how it works. I don't have facebook, and have no interest in obtaining it.

I have a multi PC and multi monitor home cockpit networked with wideview and a licensed FSUIPC. Can you tell me how the FSUIPC bridge works? Do you install anything on the clients?

Is this program capable of networking multi PC's without being run through Wideview? The problem I have with the other weather programs run through Wideview is that they don't update the server weather on the clients properly. If this is possible, It could be of extreme interest to cockpit builders!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill I have built a few multi p.c. systems, although I only use a single p.c. system currently. I have used wideview quite a lot and as I understand it and have experienced, you cannot get the central view to portray the same individual cloud as the side views as each p.c. will create its own interpretation of the weather and there is so far no linking program that will take the central p.c's cloud and produce the same cloud on the side views. As you say, if FSGRW could do this it would be an enormous bonus to them. Perhaps Stefan or Bernd could offer their thoughts on this as they know the technical aspects far better than I.

With respect to net 4 i installed it again, rebooted the p.c. and all was ok.

with respect to FSUIPC you have the choice of leaving your original version in place by hitting their cancel button, for whatever reason my Norton 360 sees their installation of FSUIPC as containing a virus, so it removes their version of FSUIPC , I then have to reinstall 4.90 from a download that I have backed up .

However this is not the fault of PILOTS I believe.

We are hoping to do a direct comparison of the FSGRW weather with reality on Tuesday , I have already done some favourable comparisons in the region where i live however there is nothing like flying in reality and taking pictures of the weather and comparing it to what the p.c. produces from the METAR of the same period. This we hope to accomplish on Tuesday.