AH Slow to No - loading

Anyone experience problems with slow to non-existent loading when bringing up AH? I'm doing a virus scan right now, just in case.

This morning AH refused to load - it goes through the pop-up where it asks which company. Easy for me because there's only one. then there's the screen that says that AH (company) is loaded and the OK button. That's it - no further activity other than the little blue Windows "I'm working on something" rotating icon.

This problem began, suddenly, this morning after a history of no problems with AH. The only difference is that I have switched ISP's as I'm now in New Zealand.

Does AH go out to the internet for any reason on loading?

Yes, it does. Go to Options -> AirHauler Options and uncheck the boxes for real world WX and real world fuel pricing. Not sure that will cure it but it's worth a try.

It's not getting to the point where it says it's generating jobs, right?

John

Does AH go out to the internet for any reason on loading?

Yes, AH tries to connect the Interwebs on startup and its timeout handling is atrocious. If you have delays on startup, disable your internet connection before starting AH. Once it is started, you can re-connect the interwebs,

Thanks JA and Danilo,

I'll give it a go. The virus scan is still running, but won't be long now before I can give it a try.

@John, no, it does not get to the "Generating Jobs" screen.

Interesting you mention the RW weather and the RW fuel pricing. The fuel pricing doesn't seem to do anything - fuel price has been the same since day 1. Same goes for the WX - haven't a clue what that does, although it is turned on. I use the RW WX feature in FSX often when I'm flying, but don't pay any attention to it for the AI pilots.

The fuel pricing doesn't work - the source of the data out on the internet has changed their format or structure or policies or something and Duncan (Slopey) has not been able to get it sorted out - but the program still tries if you have it checked in options.

John

EDIT: I think the RW WX option for AH, if invoked, provides you with WX data for the jobs at some point in the process. It's a separate thing from the FS RW WX.

JDA

Yeah, nothing better to do for the month or so that Passages is at sea so I'm visiting my mates in NZ.

I looked into the reasoning behind checking RW WX in AH. Doesn't seem to affect the AI pilots. It's been set to RW ever since I started, but these AI pilots can see in the dark so no worries. It doesn't seem to be active when I fly, either. There's been lots of instances when I've not set FSX to RW WX and the conditions are always CAVU if I do this. Hard to believe if you live in the PNW. CAVU is reserved for mid July to mid August. Otherwise mostly WOXOF (I'm joking, it's not that bad).

Anyway, it's turned off for now and that was the problem. Don't get me started on the quality of WIFI in various countries.

I'm about to post another screenshot of the Chenan's position on "If you think.....", started by Alan. Passages just arrived in Melbourne.

Since AH's weather downloading is broken, it always starts the flights in CAVU conditions, which is extremely infuriating when flying in Germanyland. Since predominant winds come in from the atlantic, many German airports only have ILS's for 2x runways. and approaches to easterly runways are often long-winded and convoluted, but somehow FS2004 insists on east-approaches in wind-less conditions for most airports, which is why I configure real-world wheather as soon as FS9 has loaded, so I won't have to hand fly every bloody approach.

I don't mind hand flying, in fact I like it, but trying to convince a Beech 1900C or a CASA 295 to settle for a steady 500fpm descent is like trying to manhandle a cow up a steep ladder.  :stars: Especially if it is the 7th flight of the day. Since I never fly with time accelleration, I can be well knackered by then...

Gents,

If you want to fly with RW WX, turn it on in FS once you're in the cockpit, or set it as the FS default. The AH RW WX option has nothing to do with what happens when you fly. It's to display RW METAR data on the Job screen when you are looking at jobs. If it's on, if you click an airport on the map in the Jobs List screen, you'll get the RW WX for that airport to help you decide if you want to try the job or not. As March surmised, WX has no effect on AI pilots.

RWWXinAH.jpg