Hello gentlemen long time no see! Been really busy with work for the past year and half and have done a fair bit of travelling and fallen in/out of love etc. Back into the Flight Sim scene but still using FS9 on my outdated system and getting rather bored of it now so I've decided to finally make the scary jump to FSX. I've priced up a system that I personally think will be able to run its fine and high setting with the usual suspect addons; Airports, ORBX, Megascenery, REX & Aircraft etc. But I thought I would come and get a second opinion from you guys. Its come out at £1145 which to be honest was what I wanted to spend, Anywho, Here is the spec;

Gigabyte Z77-HD3

Intel core i7 3770K (Looking to overlcock but not a lot)

16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

256GB SSD SATAIII 6.00GB/s (For OS & FSX only)

2TB SATAIII 6.0GB/s HDD

Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB

So what do you lads think? Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks.

Hi Dan,

As John says, welcome back.

If FSX doesn't run with those specs', you've put it all together wrong. :)

You really shouldn't have a problem running FSX.

Cheers

Hi there, thanks for the welcome back :) it's nice to be flying again. Thanks for the advice as well I appreciate it, britfrog I was also thinking about going up to the 1600Mhz RAM, I wanted the SSD for the optimal loading times so think I might stick with it As I am only putting my OS and FSX on it and 2TB will be more than enough for what I need, I still haven't used the 1.5TB in my current system.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hello gentlemen long time no see! Been really busy with work for the past year and half and have done a fair bit of travelling and fallen in/out of love etc. Back into the Flight Sim scene but still using FS9 on my outdated system and getting rather bored of it now so I've decided to finally make the scary jump to FSX. I've priced up a system that I personally think will be able to run its fine and high setting with the usual suspect addons; Airports, ORBX, Megascenery, REX & Aircraft etc. But I thought I would come and get a second opinion from you guys. Its come out at £1145 which to be honest was what I wanted to spend, Anywho, Here is the spec;

Gigabyte Z77-HD3

Intel core i7 3770K (Looking to overlcock but not a lot)

16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

256GB SSD SATAIII 6.00GB/s (For OS & FSX only)

2TB SATAIII 6.0GB/s HDD

Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB

So what do you lads think? Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks.

FSX, when up and running, let us know on Mutley's or Just Flight. There are a few tweaks to the FSX cfg that will pay dividends, like the BP=0 tweak for example.

I also have a 3770K, running at 4.5 GHz. Anything higher than that on Ivy Bridge and the chip would need de-lidding. This is due to the fact that Intel, in their wisdom, decided to use TIM instead of fluxless solder under the IHS. As a result, Ivy Bridge hits a thermal brick wall at around 4.6 GHz. De-lidding is a mod to the CPU, designed to circumvent Intel's overclocking sabotage. Not worth it in my opinion, as the jump from 4.6 GHz, to 4.8 GHz equates to just a few frames per second. Not worth invalidating your CPU warranty.

You should also check out the Intel Performance Tuning Plan. For just £18, Intel will insure your CPU. Damage your chip as a result of overclocking, and you are fully covered.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-performance-tuning-protection-plan-for-core-i7-3770k-cpu

Overclocking with Ivy Bridge, go for 2133 MHz RAM. I use Corsair Dominator GT. Because it fits nicely under the NH-D14. 

CPU cooler, I would recommend the NH-D14, or if you don't mind the risk of leaks, the Corsair H110, if your case is big enough.

Best place to post your specs is the hardware forum over at Avsim. Lots of experienced individuals there that will give you good advice.

Your system is almost identical to mine, which runs FSX with all settings maxed with no problem at all, so I can't see you finding any issues with yours. I haven't overclocked mine, either. You should get hours of hassle-free flying with your new rig. :thum:

Martin, Thanks for the advice my friend, Unfortunately I couldn't afford to go over Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM, perhaps in the future I may upgrade, but it should be more than enough, I opted for a Corsair H60 2013 Water Cooler so I can maybe test out a bit of overclocking and for the extra cooling as I have had problems with my CPU's overheating in the past because of how hot my darn room is.

Mistwalker, I see it is nearly the same apart from the GPU I can't wait to boot her up and get FSX installed! Noticed you are from Cannock aswell, I had a night out there the other weekend.

Cheers guys! System has been ordered. :yahoo:

Mistwalker, I see it is nearly the same apart from the GPU I can't wait to boot her up and get FSX installed! Noticed you are from Cannock aswell, I had a night out there the other weekend.

and you made it out alive??

Hi all, My new system arrived, Got all my Service packs and hardware drivers installed now. The SSD makes this thing unbelievably fast Its great! Now to install FSX.  :dance3:  :yahoo:  :thumbup:  :salute: 

Cheers. 

Hello icudan, your system spec is very nice. I don't have an SSD myself but plan on getting one at some point. I have a Hybrid drive for FSX which is part SSD and part HDD. the boot time is very quick and the price was reasonable too. I paid £79.99 for the 750gig version.