playhorizon gone belly up?

just tried to register my copies of playhorizon generation x scenery and none of their websites are working, cant find any news on the web so it looks like they no longer exist

"I'm still waiting for the mid Scotland to be released."....don't hold your breath Brian.

Hi Arnie,

There is a release date showing on Flightstore Forum, as 30/6/2013.

As you suggest, I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic.

I do hope they get this out soon, because as we all know, it will complete the British Isles package nicely.

Here's hoping,

Brian ;)

Copy of a post by Tony Meredith on the Scotflight Forum...makes an interesting read:-

xx.gif
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
quote.gifQuotesplit.gifSplit Topic
Mike,
I have been working on Volume 7 from early days. I believe I was the first outside the company to receive an Alpha copy so I could start making bled files for the airfields and also for some of the Scotflight models.

At that time it was a patchwork quilt of tile colours and contained as many holes as a Swiss cheese where there was no photo data.

As photo data has become available the holes have been filled and expectations of a delivery date made public. Unfortunately flying weather hasn't been good this year for the camera planes. When it was good on occasion they were unavailable due to other work and sometimes they were set to go and the weather wasn't.

I am aware that some data was received and it was hoped the end was in site. Then several tiles were found to be blurred or stretched requiring retakes.

As Flightstore are footing the bills they too would like to see it released to start getting some money back. Horizon would like to see it released to complete the contract they have to produce the data for 'our' use.

Each delay is costing the producers because as customers there is an expectation of what the final product should cost. If too much it won't sell, if not enough, then no profit.

A plus side to the delays, Scotflight for Volume 7 should be ready for release with or shortly after the volume itself. Earth simulation are now back at work following Darren's illness and Treescapes for Volume 7 should be available at or shortly after the Volume release.

I don't know the release date for any of the products but I suspect we are weeks not months away.

Regards,

Tony.

So that would suggest the June 30 release date is not realistic. I wouldn't mind a delay if it's for quality purposes, but I really wish that they wouldn't tease us by pushing the release date back three or four weeks.......and then doing it over and over again. The bonus of course is that Scotflight and TreeScapes should be available very soon after the photoscenery is released. Since I never fly in a new region until I have both of these installed, that is good news :)

• 2 weeks later...

Posted by TonyM on the Scotflight forum. Dated 2nd July 2013 :-

"I am please to report that Volume 7 of the Photo Scenery is now at the printers.

Based on previous releases it should be back and available for delivery in 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

Tony"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have Volume 7 in my hands right now, but I am having problems with the install process. AutoRun does not start when I put the DVD in the drive. It just shows me a small window with two options (one of which is to open the folders to view the files). I have done this so that I can manually start the autorun process, but it is taking forever! I finally reached the installation wizard main window, but the install speed is 140K per second, with an estimated install time of SEVEN HOURS!

What the hell is going on???

EDIT: I have just tried installing it from an external DVD drive, and I get exactly the same problem. Has anyone else tried to install Volume 7 yet?

I am currently trying to copy the data to my hard disk, but I am getting estimates of one hour to copy 8 zip files from one DVD! To be fair, the files were copied much faster from Disk 1, but Disk 2 is making me want to throw the entire PC through the window :censored:

I have finally managed to copy the contents of all 5 DVDs to the hard disk, but I have no idea why copying the first two took so much longer than the final three. In short……

Copying Disk 1 and 2 took 55 minutes each
Copying Disks 3,4 and 5 took 12 minutes each

:huh: 

Wow, thanks for letting us know, these sceneries always seem to take an age to install.

Strange the discs vary in time so much.

I will get this one eventually so will keep an afternoon free.

Please do post some shots Chris  :hat:

It seems that I have some default scenery still in evidence after installing this scenery. Can someone who has installed this scenery let me know the size of the Volume 7 folder? It is 37.4GB on my PC, but it states 44GB on the back of the DVD case....

Hi Christopher,

Sorry to hear of the problems you've had with Vol.7.

It appears that you are the first on MH to install it, notwithstanding the problems you had.

I will eventually be reviewing this volume, as I have the other volumes covering Scotland.

It will be interesting to see if I face the same problems you had.

After the time it has taken to get this vol' produced, I would have taken it as a given that the install procedure would be a smooth ride.

Thanks for taking the time to post your aggravating experiences with it.

Once I have a copy, I will also check the file size both on the cover and on my pc.

Thanks again and watch out for my review in the future.

In the meantime, please post some shots and let us know further what you think.

Cheers

Brian

After further investigation, I suspect that the terrain problem may actually be related to Volume 6 North. It is very close to the Volume 6/Volume 7 boundary (around the Isle of Skye Bridge). I am seeing some "cliffs" that look a bit odd, and those Microsoft "waves" are being displayed (they shouldn't be visible at all with photoscenery active). I would upload some screenshots, but I don't seem to be able to do it directly from my hard disk....

EDIT: Download links to relevant screenshots.......

http://www.mediafire.com/?b44vperae2ge9el
http://www.mediafire.com/?4pcx2n0ocnwqs0n
http://www.mediafire.com/?y41govh6na3ojx5
http://www.mediafire.com/?h927v9vldab61x9
http://www.mediafire.com/?n4mjxh74nfo6eeh

Does anyone else experience these "issues"?

The "default night lighting bleed through" problem at dawn and dusk appears to be related to Volume 7, since this is in the area just south of the Isle of Skye Bridge (the photoscenery colour is slightly lighter than that in Volume 6). It is similar to what I see at the Volume 8/Volume 3 boundary.

Mmmm......Yes my copy arrived. Have unpacked everything into a Folder (not installed). And yes it weighs in at 37.4 GB. Stopped placing Horizon software directly into the Sim after the install debacle over VFR Photo v1.0 for volumes 1,2 and 3. Way back in 2007. I actually run their scenery as an "all in one" style of setup, so for the time being it will not be going on my machine. As I am busy flying the USA, courtesy of Mega Scenery 2.

Another one here who hates bespoke installers !!

I seem to have solved the issue. I had several Scotflight entries in the Scenery Menu, and disabling these has removed the bridges, scenery cliffs, and also the waves. Now I have to check to make sure that I don't need any of the ones that I have disabled!