Hello to all interested pilots

With section 1 finished in fine style I now have the pleasure to announce Section 2 of the ATWC 5. The departure board can be found at the end of this post, and the "official" departure board in the main ATWC 5 forum will be updated once there are some flights with assigned pilots.

As you can see below Section 2 will take us out west over the Atlantic ocean, and then we will head south along the eastern parts of the Caribbean before heading down through South America to the final destination of the section in Santiago, Chile.

The bidding window for Section 2 will start at 02:00 PM UTC on October the 17th. As usual only bids submitted by e-mail to atwc@mutleyshangar.com after the bidding window opens will be considered valid. I also ask that you set the topic of the e-mail to "ATWC 5 - Section 2 bid", or something similar so it's easier to identify them when they arrive in my in-box. At the very minimum make sure that the phrase "ATWC 5" is included in the topic.

Out of the 12 available flights there is only one leg, leg 11, that have a restriction imposed on it. So if you bid for that leg make sure to include the type of plane you plan on using.

To increase your chance of getting a leg assigned there's no limitation in how many legs you include in your bid, but I will assume that the first leg in your list of bids is the one you are most interested in.

Legs will be assigned in the order I receive your bids, how ever since all pilots can't fly in every section, those pilots that didn't get to fly in the previous section will be moved to the front of the line regardless of when I get their bids.

As usual anyone interested are welcome to make a bid for a leg. There's no need to pre-register to take part.

John Allard have prepared Airport Diagrams to all the destinations in this sector. They are already available as individual downloads in the file library, and John will be publishing a bundled download of all sector 2 destinations in the "Special Events" section of the file-library as soon as he can.

I think that's all for now, and I look forward to your bids and PIREPS in the section to come

Micke

Departure_Board_ATWC2.jpg

John Allard have prepared Airport Diagrams to all the destinations in this sector. They are already available as individual downloads in the file library, and John will be publishing a bundled download of all sector 2 destinations in the "Special Events" section of the file-library as soon as he can.

Available now...

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2588-mh-atwc-v-section-2-airport-diagrams/

I would be interested in flying one of these legs , but what is all this bidding about, i dont understand that at all , what do I have to do to bid for a leg, put my arm up and say i am interested in such and such  or what?

Hi Nigel,

That's pretty much it, if you fancy flying any of the above routes then mail us with your top 3 or so flights in order of preference and we will endeavour to give you one of those flights.

Timing is of the essence, so send an email to the address Micke posted above on or after 14:00 UTC, 17th October 2013.

Also, have a look here for the rules.

Cheers,

Joe

I have to admit that the "bidding" term confused me too, way back in the original ATWC. 

It's no more than an offer of willingness to be the pilot for one of the published legs, but brought to mind something more complex and difficult to work through.  I actually thought at one point that I'd have to submit choice of aircraft, etc, and that would somehow be evaluated or judged against the others and a "winner" selected for each leg.

John

John: Not that I was part of the first ATWC, but looking back at the first posts it looks like that was the way it was back then, at least in the early stages.. By the looks of it even the next destination was open for bidding back then...

But it took on a more structured approach as the challenge progressed...

@Nigel: Like Joe and John says it's really just a matter of sending in an e-mail with the legs you are interested in, sorted in your order of preference, once the bidding window is open. The only time you need to include anything else is if you are bidding for a leg with some sort of restriction on it. If that is the case include what type and model of airplane you are planning on using so we can make sure you will meet the criteria of the restriction.

If anything else in unclear feel free to ask away, and I'm sure someone will be able to explain ;)

I actually thought I had to pay to fly when I first started here. :D  I didn't realize how easy it really was, it finally clicked in my empty head last year but I was nervous about having to compete against seasoned PIREP writers. This year I read through all of the past challenges, figured I was just being silly about not being able to write one, after all, I was missing out on all this fun. You can make the PIREP's as easy or detailed as you like, the important part is being a part of it, getting the legs completed and spending all of Joe's money. :P

The only mistake I made was I found out that the ATWC committee pays for your travel, fuel, food and lodging but does not pay your bar bill. One leg and I'm in the hole for 200 bucks already. :D    

I actually thought I had to pay to fly when I first started here. :D  I didn't realize how easy it really was, it finally clicked in my empty head last year but I was nervous about having to compete against seasoned PIREP writers. This year I read through all of the past challenges, figured I was just being silly about not being able to write one, after all, I was missing out on all this fun. You can make the PIREP's as easy or detailed as you like, the important part is being a part of it, getting the legs completed and spending all of Joe's money. :P

The only mistake I made was I found out that the ATWC committee pays for your travel, fuel, food and lodging but does not pay your bar bill. One leg and I'm in the hole for 200 bucks already. :D    

Bvett, yuz nufink but an olkeyaleck. Hic!  Anuver shix bottles of the shame ppolize... Hic!

Only 200 bucks Brett... you got of easy...

Rosario have the record of a $2.000 bar bill for the ATWC I think... although he did manage to pin that one on Joe.. it was but a tiny amount compared to all the other costs he accumulated over that flight.....

<brain runs amok deciding on an aircraft to fly the baton to Bermuda>  Cub...nope...baton needs to be there before Chrimbo....Model 12 Electra Junior...eep 1900+ nautical miles, no refueling...even with mad engine management skillz I'd be in the drink so scratch that- especially since I don't have mad skillz.  I could do a tube jet but that's not a challenge...well it would be for me since I've yet to land the A320 in the simulator... Sink Rate Sink Rate Pull UP Pull "PRANG!!" Doh. <tosses back a wee dram of fine Irish whiskey> Hmmm...whats next on the list.  Ah hah.  The company DC-6 continental.  Quick calculation...about seven hours in cockpit... challenged by low level VFR with a dodgy pocket GPS.  Let's see, boxed lunch, eleven thermos flasks of coffee, some flight magazines to peruse, a mae west and an inflatable dingy.  Good to go.  Better go see Rex in the weather bunker.  Oh yeah, life insurance policy of one million dollars...I should make it out to some guy in Nigeria and email him...a lot.  Yeah that's the ticket.  <dashes out of the pub and hitches a ride to the aerodrome, fires up the Electra Junior to high tail it to Santa Maria hoping to find Andrew and the blue baton>

D-6, good choice Dave. Much better than a Model 10 Electra, considering your dodgy GPS. ;)

Hehe thanks m8, the 10 did cross my mind but the model I have is ... well hard to look at and I figured if I was going to be at the controls for six + hours I'd rather look at something a bit more interactive.  I might still do it with the Model 10 although my backside is still numb from six and a half hours in the DC-6 cockpit earlier today.  Hmmmm....<dashes off to find Amelia's notes>