Hi from a new cargo pilot

• 1 month later...

News from the companies :

Since my flying time has been reduced lately ( and will be for some time as nice weather is coming and I will spend more time on my other hobby which is nature and wildlife photography ) I closed my carribean company ( which gave me some sunny time during the winter but I finally was not too crazy about island hopping ).

I reached enough rep and money to hire my first pilots. Thomas Brittain (nice choice of name by Air Hauler for a breton company...)  is driving the Cessna Grand Caravan around France until I will have enough money to lease a second one and take a foot in Great Britain for cross-Channel operations.

In Canada, Kathy Cook is operating the newly leased toundra wheels Skywagon between airfields while I'm flying the amphibian to all small coves and bays.

2014-02-2722_45_37-Greenshot_zps94585e76

• 1 month later...

Update on the companies :

In Prince Rupert CYPR (Canada), Kathy Cook is doing a great job with the toundra wheels Skywagon, flying long distance runs between airfields, while I am visiting all small places and coves around the islands with the amphib. Plans are to lease soon a Twotter (Aerosoft) or a BN2 Islander (Flight 1)

In Rennes LFRN (France) Thomas Brittain is handling the first C208b Grand Caravan across France, and I leased a second one which I use for cross Channel operations with Great Britain. I plan to open another base in the South of France and probably one in the South of England. 

2014-05-0822_59_15-Greenshot_zpsbc6a9e07

I admire your restraint. Image posting and fleet building wise I am your OCD opposite. :)

I really like the almost painting-like images that you choose. Very moody scenery up there in AK.

FYI...Quest Kodiaks (Lionheart) are a very nice amphib in the Cargomaster size range. Virtavia's HU-16 is a wonderful step up from there when you get round to upgrading your wet fleet

Happy hauling.

Cpt Cof

Thanks ! Well, I think I am in love with props and bush flying , so I never planned to upgrade the companies to heavies, long distance and big airports. Nothing rejoices me more than hauling freight to some remote place in the mountains with a small dirt strip or to a small cove where you have to "water" between islands. It's even better if the weather is so-so and some wind blowing... :)

My european company lets me fly turboprops on larger airfields, but sometimes short grass tracks with trees not far away. Since I fly real GMT time of the day, no time acceleration and real weather, I often fly evenings with night landings in France/GB ( In Canada it is usually early afternoon when it is 21:00 / 22:00 at my place - GMT+2 )

Most important is that each of us flies what he likes most and enjoys it. I can understand it is probably interesting to fly a 747 cargo on a long distance flight for someone who likes it !

Thks for info, will have a look at the planes !

I like the Islander as I flew in them many times as passenger between France and Channel Islands for my job in the early 80s with memories of some tricky crosswind winter landings. May be this is where I got to admire these pilots who were flying with almost any weather ( the Islander can land with 30 knots crosswind ) I also found not long ago this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K5si9KW7SQ

Happy hauling as well.

• Like 1

Nice one Loic. Got to admit the Islander is my favourite GA runabout and is close to my heart as we share the same birthplace, the lovely Isle of Wight. Some great vids on the link too. Thanks for sharing. :)  :thum:

Nice one Loic. Got to admit the Islander is my favourite GA runabout and is close to my heart as we share the same birthplace, the lovely Isle of Wight. Some great vids on the link too. Thanks for sharing. :)  :thum:

You're welcome. I've been sailing a lot around your Isle of Wight in the early 80s :)   ( Cowes Week, Cowes-Dinard, Channel Race ... ) I was born in Saint Malo just across the Channel and at the time we were racing the RORC races on a half tonner called Crazy Horse. Great memories !

CrazyHorse_zpscdaa4485.jpg

• Like 2

In the end couldn't resist to flying the Islander, had a real lousy weather for maiden flight, low ceiling, rain and a 12 knots wind @ 70° on landing at Sandspit CYZP.  Was fun navigating in low-vis with the old KLN 90A Bendix GPS, reminded me of sailing times before the on-map GPS  :)

2014-05-2023_111024-Greenshot_zps7dbc385