Lame Duck - B17 limps home after being ambushed. [FINAL]

Still working on this, but would really like some input from others as to how its coming along... The regulars on Screenshot World have already helped me massively with tips, but I know there are many more here who could voice support and critiques over the image here and i really do appreciate every moment you spend offering advice... so, what do you think?? any ideas on how this can be improved...? let me know, and i'll continue working on them.

d0554d36.jpg

Simi,

It's a great shot if you didn't change another pixel...seems to me I saw one of these just the other day.

I make these observations without a clue how difficult it is to change.

The feathered prop just isn't quite right. The blade profiles are almost as if it's being viewed straight on, but the point of view is offset to the port side. Looking at the angles, the uppermost blade in particular should be showing us a little more of the flat side; the lower one would show a little less than the upper one, but still more than is there. The blade pointing outboard is just right - you wouldn't see any of the blade flank at that angle.

Not sure what that green spot is on each prop hub.

The smoke is very good, but seems to be originating too far forward. There even seems to be some ahead of the engine cylinders. It would mostly be emanating from the rear edge of the cowl with the slipstream being what it is.

Not sure about the color of the internal structure of the vertical stabilizer and rudder where the skin is gone. I don't know what the authentic color of the inside of the structure would be. I don't think they were using zinc chromate yet at that time, but somehow, the color just doesn't look quite right. Maybe bare aluminum, or a green primer, but probably not rust-brown.

There's something brown on the fuselage side, forward of the stars and bars, just over the aft part of the wing root. I can't make out what it's supposed to be - more damage maybe?

The shine on the de-icing boots is a little too regular. If you've ever seen rubber de-icing boots up close, they are not quite that smooth - usually have almost a kind of irregular, lumpy appearance. Dithering them up just a little to break up that smooth line of "shine" might help.

The windows and various transparent sections are great - very well, done. It looks like there's a window over the waist gun position and I'm not sure that's accurate. All the photos I recall just show a gaping hole without a covering. It may be accurate as is, but I just don't recall ever seeing one closed over with plexiglass like that.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, make suggestions to those who can. :censored:

Looking good so far. I agree with john about the smoke and damage. Smoke looks good but too far forward. Be careful with your bullet holes, they look a bit repetetive. Quite often a bullet would create quite an irregular hole as the bullet ripped through. Good work, especially like the smoke you created.

steve

Hi Simi,

I like what you have done so far, you are very brave putting it up for criticism :censored:

For me the smoke needs amending, I'm not sure on the perspective in relation to the aircraft and the origin needs looking at?

Looking forward to the update.

Cheers

wow, thanks for the really informative feedback fellas, its really appreciated.

i seem to take on a lot more than i can chew when im doing this sort of thing, but this one's really special to me for one reason or another so there's been alot of though process for it and i intend finishing it to its maximum potential.

as a few have noted, there are a tiny issues with the bullets and smoke, but these i'll work on. Im glad, however the overall response is good as i'm really fired up now to get this done...

the smoke, for example, is depicted to show the aircraft loosing height after No.2 engine failing, hence the angle its at. but as noted over at SSW there's an issue with it where it moves over and around the cowling's and wing which i'll need to correct...

but its not done yet.... not by a long way, and who knows, there may be a few axis aces out in the wings preparing to finish the kill after all....:censored:

i've tweaked the smoke and bullet hole issues mentioned, i think... :censored: and the "lame duck" name-plate's been removed, i'll add this later. other than that, the top ball turret's glass needs whitening out (how's this done? i tried a very low opacity - about 10% - eraser, but this didnt help)..

now i'll be working on the story behind the shot and adding a few more fine details to really bring it to life.

th_9e0ea297.jpg

click image to get full size

let me know what you think guys, its really appreciated.

simon

Hey simi.

For the top ball i'm assuming you mean how to get it looking like the glass is reflecting the natural light around the aircraft. I would zoom in close and select carefully all the glass on the turret but only the glass not the metal frame. Then decide where the sun is in your picture by looking at the shadows you have. Then with a small softedge brush loaded with white set to about 4%-6% start to draw on the glass the sun refelecting. Each time you add a new layer of paint make it just that bit wider into more of the glass. Do this till your happy and occasionally deselct reselect to get a good look. Before you finish if the sun is out make the center of your reflection very strong in white as though you can see the sun in the glass. Practice will make perfect.

steve

Hey simi.

For the top ball i'm assuming you mean how to get it looking like the glass is reflecting the natural light around the aircraft. I would zoom in close and select carefully all the glass on the turret but only the glass not the metal frame. Then decide where the sun is in your picture by looking at the shadows you have. Then with a small softedge brush loaded with white set to about 4%-6% start to draw on the glass the sun refelecting. Each time you add a new layer of paint make it just that bit wider into more of the glass. Do this till your happy and occasionally deselct reselect to get a good look. Before you finish if the sun is out make the center of your reflection very strong in white as though you can see the sun in the glass. Practice will make perfect.

steve

thanks reef... that helped loads!

well, here we go guys, almost there... a few finer touches to make before i declare it 'finished' but any input as to how i could achieve is welcome...

th_fc64aae6.jpg

Great result Simi!

I love the extra aircraft, I hope the P-51 in the distance makes 'em pay!!

Well done :good

Cheers

.... not if the FW190 emerging from the clouds has anything to do with it!

and there's a few minor tweaks there too, so its good to know you didn't pick up on them as it makes the whole scene look better overall.

Hey simi, its really coming together now :yes: I'm glad the tip helped although i think it was a little overdone, personal taste of course. If i could maybe just offer a couple of finishing touch tips. The fronts of the engines look very bright and silvery, maybe a little toning down would look good. Select a dark color maybe brown/black mix set to about 5% and just tone them down with a few touches. The other is the blacks are very black and my art teacher always told me, never use black. With it being a day picture its very unlikely with all the light around you would see true black. In PS you could Adjustments/Selective color, switch it to black and just add some light to it, i promise you even just a little light will take that uber sharp black off.

If i'm being too foreward just let me know, don't want to sound knowitallish :roll:

steve

here it is fellas. finalised.

i hope you all like it, as im sure you can see i've picked up many tips from those "in the know" and have used them in this edit for the very first time! I really enjoyed doing this edit, and learnt so much from playing with a few settings and tools i never knew photoshop had.

Here's a tribute to all the B-17 pilots & crews that lost their lives whilst carrying out daylight raids over Germany. God rest their souls and lest we ever forget their sacrifices for us.

th_943113c9.jpg

click the image to get full size version

thanks,

simi

Its been very interesting seeing this one develop simi. I think you have done a great job and you should be proud. Listening to those at screenshot world always helps, some of their shots are pure artwork.

Good job simi !!

steve