What did you spot today?

John, In practical terms, you are unlikely to be prosecuted for simply listening in, if discrete and sensible. However, if you pass on information from what you hear, through Bulletin Boards, the press, or by setting up a live feed, then it's entirely feasible to feel Ofcom's hand on your collar and an appointment before the beak.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brand-new Air Canada 787 flying overhead Portlaoise a few minutes ago   https://www.flickr.com/photos/111752039@N08/14103084188/   And some shots from the 17th May, while waiting for a train   h

Saw a Spitfire off the coast of Hastings last week, only a brief glimpse. The unmistakable sound of a Merlin alerted me to its presence.

Boeing B-52 Stratofortress and Boeing 707.

John, In practical terms, you are unlikely to be prosecuted for simply listening in, if discrete and sensible. However, if you pass on information from what you hear, through Bulletin Boards, the press, or by setting up a live feed, then it's entirely feasible to feel Ofcom's hand on your collar and an appointment before the beak

In practical terms you are quite right.  However, I think that anyone reading this thread should know what the law is, so if they choose to buy a scanner they understand the legal position they put themselves in. 

I think the last thing we would want is for Joe to get into trouble for allowing misleading information to be published through his site. I just thought i would pop in that post to watch his back in the very unlikely event that the whole thing goes tits up!

Almost spotted an odd one today, approach in to ESSA was straight over where I work since runway 01R was in use. 

And when I dropped in to Flightradar24 after logging on to my computer this one caught my eye..

AN-148.JPG

Must have missed it on my walk in from the parking lot with just a few minutes, and once I spotted it on the computer it was to far north for me to be able to see it from my office window  :(

Cannot believe it. ..when is the WORST time to not have a camera (and when your mobile phone camera is as much use as a chocolate teapot)..? When you have a De Havilland Vampire doing circuits above your head! :( We think it was based out of the Waterkloof Air Base just up the road from here.. SO annoyed I couldn't get it on camera apart from a grey smudge in a beautiful blue sky background.

Let them think it, I know I would get excited seeing history flying overhead. Thanks for the pictures. :thum:

I didn't think any were in operation anymore, maybe a museum mechanics joyride? :woot:

I don't think they realisedjust how rare it is to see one in the air. Most are static museum displays and only a few handfuls are still airworthy.

My husband is ex RAF and recognised it straight away too. If we were more mobile here we woyld havetaken a trip over to Waterkloof to get a better look

Definitely something I'll remember on this trip though:D

Yesterday, in the midst of our building work this one flew over 

A340-departure.JPG

A completely unmarked A340 (well, I assume it had a registration somewhere on the fuselage but I couldn't spot it from where I was. If I had it would have been CS-TQZ).

As an indication of how low it was this shot was taken with my iPhone.

Looking back at flightradar24.com it looks like it was at roughly 3.000 feet at this point.

Turns out it was flying for Norwegian on their ESSA - KJFK route. I assume they are still missing, or having issues, with some of their Dreamliners. So they still need to rent these old A340-300 planes from a company called Hi Fly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As usual at ESSA more 737s than one can care to count...

But on the more rare side for ESSA an A330-300 heading towards Chicago, and a Swedish Airforce C-130 departing for an undisclosed destination...

Sadly no camera with me though, so I can't prove a thing I'm claiming ;)

• 3 weeks later...