Calling all multi monitor opeators

I will be getting a new TV for my living room at Christmas. As a result I am going to  move my old TV ( 42" LCD) upstairs for my flight sim in conjunction with this monitor which is 27"

1. can anyone give me a link to a site which specializes in this
  2. do  I need a doublehead2go link cable
  3. what connectors do I need
  4. I  am going t use the big  monitor for my main screen and the smaller one for overhead panel or any other suggestions welcome 
  5. does that mean with  this setup  tracker will become redundant as it was a potential Christmas present

Personally I run two screens without a doublehead2go, and with the setup you describe don't get a doublehead2go. What that does is showing both connected screens as one very wide screen to windows so you will not be able to use one for the main view and one for the overhead... Just manage the two screens within windows. In windows 7 it's dead simple, but I can't say how it works in windows 8 since I don't run that anywhere yet.

Just connect your TV to one output on your graphics card and a second to the 27" screen. The type of cable you need depends on what outputs you have available on your graphics card and on the TV.

A tracker I'd say becomes less useful using two screens the way you intend since some of the stuff you might use the tracker to get to is available on your second screen, but it will make it much easier to look around anyway.. so I wouldn't say it would be redundant. Although considering the lack of 2D panels in the latest PMDG products I'm not sure how FSX will handle things since you most likely will need to have two VC views active at the same time, so you might end up shifting the viewpoint in both active VC views at the same time when you move your head.

Personally I run two screens without a doublehead2go, and with the setup you describe don't get a doublehead2go. What that does is showing both connected screens as one very wide screen to windows so you will not be able to use one for the main view and one for the overhead... Just manage the two screens within windows. In windows 7 it's dead simple, but I can't say how it works in windows 8 since I don't run that anywhere yet.

Just connect your TV to one output on your graphics card and a second to the 27" screen. The type of cable you need depends on what outputs you have available on your graphics card and on the TV.

A tracker I'd say becomes less useful using two screens the way you intend since some of the stuff you might use the tracker to get to is available on your second screen, but it will make it much easier to look around anyway.. so I wouldn't say it would be redundant. Although considering the lack of 2D panels in the latest PMDG products I'm not sure how FSX will handle things since you most likely will need to have two VC views active at the same time, so you might end up shifting the viewpoint in both active VC views at the same time when you move your head.

Thanks for that Stu, are you saying I will not need Trackir. You have already saved me £150 by telling me that I do not need doublehead2go

Well Patrik..

If you need it or not is more down to your preference really...  If you are comfortable with adjusting your view with a hat-switch, and rarely feel the need to tilt or move the view around in FSX then there is really no need...

Although I do think TrackIR adds alot to the experience, at least for me... Although at the moment I do tend to mostly fly Low & Slow, so I have more to look at outside the cockpit windows  ;)

I have a newly installed trackIR and am adjusting to it at the moment.  The jury is still out on it at the moment.

It has been very easy to install as a stand alone product, but I have had problems integrating it into EZDok. For some reason it sometimes doesn't seem to work as expected when moving from one view to another.  What happens is that I move from an internal view to an external view and the camera goes to a single point (not one of my views) and wont move from there, except back to the internal view. I may have found out why, I had not deleted all my Numpad keyboard control commands.  I am still testing it though.

The other issue I have with the combination is that I use a trackball with FSX.  It has a mouse wheel but not a third button which is a bit of a problem with EZdok as some functions I want to use rely on it.

My last gripe is with EZDok and comes down to the fact that I don't use any of the World views. I still seem to have to pass through the empty section when moving between sections in one direction.  I haven't found a way to disable world views which would be nice. Also the world views are tied to a specific location, and not the nearest ... I would like to create some views from the nearest tower, of runway end etc.  I cant seem to do this, and so the world views are a bit restricted.  

I have a newly installed trackIR and am adjusting to it at the moment.  The jury is still out on it at the moment.

It has been very easy to install as a stand alone product, but I have had problems integrating it into EZDok. For some reason it sometimes doesn't seem to work as expected when moving from one view to another.  What happens is that I move from an internal view to an external view and the camera goes to a single point (not one of my views) and wont move from there, except back to the internal view. I may have found out why, I had not deleted all my Numpad keyboard control commands.  I am still testing it though.

The other issue I have with the combination is that I use a trackball with FSX.  It has a mouse wheel but not a third button which is a bit of a problem with EZdok as some functions I want to use rely on it.

My last gripe is with EZDok and comes down to the fact that I don't use any of the World views. I still seem to have to pass through the empty section when moving between sections in one direction.  I haven't found a way to disable world views which would be nice. Also the world views are tied to a specific location, and not the nearest ... I would like to create some views from the nearest tower, of runway end etc.  I cant seem to do this, and so the world views are a bit restricted.  

John check this out: linc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHEuQmbRpQ