• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I've been working with terminal procedures lately I've seen another one.   PIGLT TWO STAR into KMCO and other Orlando airports has these waypoints which I believe line up with Disney items..

It's been a long time since we had a post here...   Looking at an airport near Okinawa (RORY) yesterday I found CASTR and POLUX; also LEXUS and PRIUS.     John

YBBN (SID)   MEAND, DADAN, DENIS, LILEE,  Famous test cricketers, for those unfamiliar with the game. YBBN (STAR) LEAKY, BOATS, SINK. YPDN (STAR) GATOR,BITES,WOKKI,HURTT, ALLOT.

Spotted more fishies.. this time around Hong Kong ...BREAM, CONGA, PRAWN,PERCH, ROACH, SAMON, SNAPA, SKATE, TROUT and WHALE (ok thats a mammal not a fish, but still swims in the OCEAN, which is also a WP in the terminal area.

If you fancy some fruit, there are GUAVA and LIMES as well

:)

@ John A , any idea who picked the names and when? Its obvious they must have had a laugh doing it, but are thise waypoints there forever now or do they get to have more fun another day?

Just curious where all these names originated and why...

They are mostly done by the various aviation authorities, CAA, FAA, etc. and I suppose some of the international bodies such as ICAO or the EC aviation weenies have a hand in it too, though it's hard to imagine anyone in the EC hierarchy having a sense of humor. I thought they had to have them surgically removed.

John

• Like 1

I have tried a few times to search for the actual office that creates them but only got as far as John's answers. Like Steph, I thought it odd that the decisions are made high up the ladder, more like a bunch of jokesters, yucking it up in tiny basement offices. The inside jokes gets around worldwide through observational learning. :D    

It may be that the rank and file in the various FAA locations get involved with proposing new routes, procedures and the waypoint names to go with them.  I note a lot of what looks like "inside humor" where you'd have to be familiar with the area to really understand some of the more subtle ones.  I also get the strong impression at times that there are hidden meanings in some that go right over my head because I don't have the local insight.

John

They say that if you give a bunch of monkeys a typewriter they will eventually come up with the works of Shakespeare.

I guess that applies to the creators of way points and humour! 

• 2 months later...
LAUREL & HARDY ?

Waypoint HARDY exists in four places, China; Norway; Thailand; Brazil

LAURL (has to be five characters or less) is in the Gulf of Mexico off Houston.

John

• 1 year later...

Since I've been working with terminal procedures lately I've seen another one.

PIGLT TWO STAR into KMCO and other Orlando airports has these waypoints which I believe line up with Disney items...

HKUNA \

> Hakuna Matata (Lion King song)

MTATA /

JAZMN - Jasmine, from Aladdin

JAFAR - Jafar, from Aladdin

PIGLT - Piglet, from Winnie the Pooh

RFIKI - Rafiki, from the Lion King

TTIGR - Tigger, of course

There are a few others after than in the STAR that I can't make any connection to.

John

• Like 2

I know in the older version of the navdata for fsx, we use to have a waypoint called NOSDA heading into Cardiff. Nos Da is Welsh for goodnight. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/09/federal-aviation-administration-rebukes-donald-trump/

"The agency said Thursday it intends to rename three navigation points near Palm Beach International Airport in Florida that currently are named for the billionaire and Republican presidential candidate.

It’s fairly common for the FAA to name such points, which are used by pilots and air traffic controllers, for local figures.

Trump has a home in Palm Beach. In 2010, a local air traffic controller named the points DONLD, TRMMP and UFIRED.

The last is a reference to the catchphrase “You’re fired” from Trump’s reality TV show “The Apprentice.”

The FAA said in a statement that the agency generally chooses names that are non-controversial.

Trump has been under fire for recent statements accusing many immigrants of being drug dealers and rapists."

EDIT: Aha, I thought they had it wrong. Waypoints are always five characters and the correct name of what the article refers to as "UFIRED" is "UFIRD". The press have a problem when reporting on anything related to aviation - can't even get that right.

JDA

• 4 weeks later...