Leg 54 Seychelles Intl to Ibrahim Nasir International Airport

Life doesnt get much better than this a 4 day layover in the Seychelles because my a/c went tech and we had to fly in 3 mechanics from our base in south africa to make it play ball. However all was finished last night and we undertook a short test flight to verify all was well for todays flight. The only fly in the ointment was the weather which was predicted to go downhill, so I really hoped that Jess would get her skates on so that we could get out of here, Nothing worse than a plane load of holiday makers being Moby to add to the misery of going home.

The handling agent called me and said that Jess was inbound so he started the preparations to load the passengers,  My crew and I headed out to get the plane prepped.

2014-4-4_10-56-1-248.png

The skies were getting ominously darker in the north as we made our way out to the aircraft, but for the moment it was still very warm and sunny as the seagulls  and frigate birds wheeled overhead.  Boy was it hot inside ! it was clear the ground pack was not running properly "ok no2 get the apu turning and burning and lets get some cooler air circulating here", he duly did as asked and opened the bleed air from the apu to the left and right  packs and switched the aircon switches to auto. Ahhhh that was better I could smell the sweet scented cool air being blown in before I could actually feel the temperature change. It wasn't long before the passengers started climbing the stairs and the dispatcher arrived with all the docs and load sheet, 174 today he said including 2 babies , 7 children , and 1 wheelchair bound, we are just winching him aboard now he said with a big smile. I looked back past him into the cabin and could see the crew doing their best to make him comfortable in the front row. "ten thousand five hundred litres loaded sir!" the dispatcher shouted, , he made me jump but he had seen I was miles away, in my own thoughts. "Fine Singh!" with what we had onboard that will give us an hour and a half more than needed in case we need to divert I checked the load sheet figures and signed his copy and off he went and whilst the head stewey stood at the door waiting for the baton.

2014-4-4_10-54-59-1.png

2014-4-4_10-58-26-71.png

Jess knows how to arrive in style fancy bringing  in the first 380 to arrive in the region however as there were so many dignitaries and hangers-on milling around the apron, i decided to get away as quickly as possible as i could see a bun fight ensuing. Happily Jess arranged for the baton to make its way over promptly and we signalled to the marshaller that we were ready to go.

As soon as the door was closed we called the tower and requested engine start and taxi clearance and no sooner had we started to taxi to the active than it started to rain cats and dogs (technical term) . we had to wait for an arriving twin otter to clear before we could backtrack the length of the runway but even with the wipers working flat out it was difficult to maintain visibility with the center line., once the end was reached we then went around a small loop to the hold where we waited as another jet landed

2014-4-4_11-22-4-684.png

"rather you than me " some unknown voice came over the ether as he passed us, and splashed down. Final checks complete and we lined up and eventually received clearance as the arriving a/c managed to splash his way to the apron.

2014-4-4_11-24-2-49.png

I opened the throttles and we both leaned forward straining our eyes to ensure we maintained the center line and it was with a sigh of relief that I finally rotated and headed uphill on instruments, however the relief was short lived as  we were suddenly met by the turbulence as it curled over the hill tops .

2014-4-4_11-24-58-753.png

Luckily the stewies were still buckled in and had the good sense to remain thus , otherwise they would have been walking on the ceilings. we made a 45 degree turn to the right to parallel the coast  which had already disappeared into the murk.

2014-4-4_11-25-56-441.png

2014-4-4_11-28-3-565.png

After a few minutes we had passed the north coast of the island on a JEFY3A SID  and headed onto a westerly heading  to MIRON  using UR782.

The source of all this nastyness is the world renowned ITCZ (inter tropical convergence zone) or (eye tee cee zee as the yanks would have us call it) which is a region of thunderstorms and bad weather that wobble around the globe  

itcz2.jpg

between the tropics. It gives rise to the monsoons in India , and the hurricanes in the Caribbean  and is the subject of many a book that us pilots have to study.

2014-4-4_11-34-18-179.png

Still up we climbed with overhead lockers depositing their goods on those below and the odd sick bag being deployed. We finally levelled off at FL370 but there was little respite from the bouncing around which was unusual at this height, but not unknown so I continued to thread my way between the thunder heads

2014-4-4_11-52-47-157.png

. It was not until we passed MIRON some 200 miles later , that we started to get some respite and the stewies were able to get about to tidy up the disaster zone, and provide succour.

Slowly but surely the atmosphere cleared and we could start to make out the sea. Under normal circumstances in this region one always keeps one radio on the emergency channel and keeps a scan on the sea below , because this region is heavily populated by Somali pirates who have been driven south from the Golf of Aden and Northern Arabian Sea by the scores of international war ships now patrolling that area. It is not unknown for a passenger to report seeing a distress flare in these parts.

Still the flight continued without any further interruption  and we started our descent at VOHID where we could just make out the cloud cap on the volcanic  mountain above our destination. This island is home of one of the most active volcanoes in the region so it is not unusual to see some cloud around its top today at least it was not malevolent, and so we passed over the northern tip of the island enroute the last turning point of Megos  where we headed inland directly at the volcano which now was much higher than us , and to make matters interesting both it and we, were in cloud again, deep joy!

2014-4-4_12-29-14-55.png

I was sitting there looking out into the gloom expecting a dark shape to emerge at any second when my concentration was broken by the FO who informed me that the localiser was active, Thank goodness for that I breathed as third world ILS's are not the most reliable and as the autopilot turned us on a northerly heading and intercepted the glide slope I could see the grey wall of the volcano on our right hand side,

2014-4-4_12-31-28-261.png

it seemed awfully close , but landing checks need to be carried out and the autopilot disconnected,

2014-4-4_12-33-58-936.png

and before you know it we were on short finals following the slope of the volcano downwards, the landing was a greaser and no sooner had we slowed to a walking pace than the peanut gallery behind started to applaud , why do they do that? , a quick back track along the runway found us winding down outside the terminal

2014-4-4_12-39-27-905.png

As the stairs arrived I started to look toward the arrivals area in case i could see signs of Rob to whom I must pass the baton.

Hey Nigel.. that was quick... two departure board updates in one day isn't very common  ;)

Great flight despite the heavy turbulence and limited visibility.. I can imagine that approach into Moroni is a nerve wrecker in such conditions...

Nice trip Nigel. Liked the skies, are they REX or ASN?

The reason why the peanuts in the back applauded is because they have experienced some of my landings. :)

Nice trip Nigel. Liked the skies, are they REX or ASN?

The reason why the peanuts in the back applauded is because they have experienced some of my landings. :)

LOL !

the weather was care of REX 4 using DX10