Aircraft.cfg modifications for Air Hauler

I thought I'd start a topic on modified aircraft.cfg files for AH seen as I can't seem to find any in one particular thread/post on this forum. Feel free to post any modifications made to you're aircraft.cfg files for AH :) Happy hauling everyone!

Matt

Senior Captain

Dalton Air Haulage

:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're going to do a lot of this, then you might want to invest in a piece of software called "FS Panel Studio" See: http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ You will only (really) be able to edit 2D panels,

Everts operate a fuel transport company - very important in the far North. Of interest, is that they list a 12,000 lb useful load for the C46, something that I tried (without success) to achieve for P

Some of us modify the W&B by subtracting 35lb per seat that would normally be removed from any aircraft that is no pax. This can add up to a significant amount of weight in an A321 and a fairly large (percentage wise) amount in a C-172.

In order to do this, you must insert the modified .cfg file in your FSX "airplanes" directory BEFORE importing it to AH.

Here's a sample of the C-182 flying for QuikAire - the lines that are preceded with // two slashes are "remarked out" ie: not read by FSX. These lines are the original .cfg file W&B. Note that the station loads have been adjusted as well.

[weight_and_balance]

max_gross_weight = 3100
//empty_weight = 1796
//minus 38 lbs for removing aft bench seat

empty_weight = 1758
//useful load = 938
useful load = 976
reference_datum_position = 4.67, 0, 0
empty_weight_CG_position = -4, 0, 0
empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 1661
empty_weight_roll_MOI = 1259
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 2357
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0
max_number_of_stations = 4

station_load.0 = 170, -3.18, -0.82, 0
station_load.1 = 225, -3.18,  0.82, 0
station_load.2 = 200, -5.56, -0.76, 0
station_load.3 = 200, -5.56,  0.76, 0
station_load.4 = 62,  -6.93, -0.76, 0
station_load.5 = 62,  -6.93,  0.76, 0
station_load.6 = 19,  -7.0,   0,    0

//max_number_of_stations = 4 - ORIGINAL STATIONS
//ORIG STATION LOADING
//station_load.0 = 198.4158, -3.18, -0.82, 0
//station_load.1 = 198.4158, -3.18, 0.82, 0
//station_load.2 = 150, -5.56, -0.76, 0
//station_load.3 = 150, -5.56, 0.76, 0
//station_load.4 = 0, -6.93, 0, 0
//station_load.5 = 0,   -3.665, 0.933, 0
//station_load.6 = 0,   -7.0, 0

Innnnnteresting. You have a Max_Stations = 4, yet you have 7 Loading Stations...how does AH handle that?

As an aside/related....when I set up loading stations in FSX, I use this format to name them so that AH recognizes the names of the stations:

station_load.0 = 170, -3.18, -0.82, 0

station_load.1 = 170, -3.18, 0.82, 0

station_name.0 = "Pilot"

station_name.1 = "Co-Pilot"

Some addons (most addons) come with the following format which (at least my) AH won't recognize the station names during the cargo loading phase of setting up a flight:

station_load.0 = "170, -3.18, -0.82, 0, Pilot"

station_load.1 = "170, -3.18, 0.82, Co-Pilot"

I hadn't caught that. Thanx.

4 is a leftover from the original model. Note that the original also lists 7 stations despite the max=4 notation. The original just doesn't show any capacity for baggage locations 4 thru 6.

I'm carrying cargo in the right seat, both back seat locations (seats removed) and all baggage locations.

Doesn't seem to bother AH.

If I changed the airplane file before importing it to AH, do I have to remove it and re-import it for the changes to come into effect?

No, you don't.  AH grabs the data it needs from aircraft.cfg at the time of importing it into AH.  Any changes made prior to that will be in effect in AH.

John

What I said stands... when you import an AC into AH, AH grabs the data from the aircraft.cfg file as it exists at that point in time and writes it to its own data tables. Subsequent changes to aircraft.cfg are not seen by AH unless you dump the AC and re-import it.

John

I wasn't disputing what YOU said John, you are absolutely correct...i was talking to the OP's question...let me clarify:

If I changed the airplane file before importing it to AH, do I have to remove it and re-import it for the changes to come into effect? :)

If I changed the airplane file, before importing it to AH, do I have to remove it and re-import it for the changes to come into effect?

If I changed the airplane file after importing it to AH, do I have to remove it and re-import it for the changes to come into effect?

Now re-read my comment considering the above alternate versions of the OP's question:

"I think you meant "after", or a comma went missing...if so then yes u need to sell any of that type in your fleet. then remove the airplane from air hauler, then re-import the airplane for new changes to take effect."

You see, i read his question as if he had already imported his aircraft into AH, because he asked if had had to Remove it in his question...therefore I offered an answer that addressed the fact that it appears as if his aircraft might require removing.

:)

Here is a type of modification I find myself forced to make for lots of jets in the Reference Speeds section, to prevent rapid Overspeeds during takeoff and low level flight where airspeeds indicate higher due to thicker air (I believe this is part of the cause of the problem in addition to whacked max speed values in .cfg files... anyhow...It's mah theory and I'm sticking with it...till better data presents itself :)  )

This is from the Lear45 Stock aircraft...but I have done it to every stock jumbo jet, and most addon jets and fast turboprops.

For example. From Wiki specifications for the Lear45:

Performance

And the .cfg file section from the Lear45:

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed    = 112.0                 //Knots True (KTAS)
full_flaps_stall_speed  = 102.0                 //Knots True (KTAS)
cruise_speed            = 446.0                 //464.0 Knots True (KTAS) This was set to published Max speed instead of published Cruise speed...doh
max_mach                = 0.81
max_indicated_speed     = 463.0                   //330 Red line (KIAS) this is the original value which causes overspeeds and doesn't match anything in the published specifcations

Note the ridiculously low Max_Indicated_Speed ...this causes an almost immediate overspeed if you don't climbout at what seems like near vertical to keep the speed down.

Cheers.

Coff.

Here we should revisit the notion that "Commas Save Lives":

Let's eat Grandma.

Let's eat, Grandma.

@Capt Coffee, thanks for the tip on the overspeed issue. I've had this happen in the stock A321.

Unfortunately, I've got the A321 already loaded into AH, so can't afford to change it now.

if you have not already loaded all of the paints, you can change the air file, then import a new paint. Then you can pay for the paint job which I think will receive the new aircraft file changes. At least I think so, it is worth a try and I will try when I get home If you don't beat to it.

NVM...that doesn't work. The paint job changes, but the cargo capacity remained the same in my test.

OH...wait a sec...you CAN change the maximum speed in the aircraft.cfg and not even worry about re-importing to AH...when you jump to FSX it cares about the Max speed when it comes to Overspeeds and aircraft stress for damage/crash purposes, AH however only cares about Cruise speed for the purpose of scheduling AI pilots.

Go ahead and change it.

Cheers.

For DublinPilatus...since you are going to be using the stock DC3 for a while...you might want to change the Cruise speed for that plane, the stock setting is nearly 100kts to slow.

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed    = 67.5                  //Knots True (KTAS)
full_flaps_stall_speed  = 61.5                  //Knots True (KTAS)
cruise_speed            = 95.0                  //Knots True (KTAS) So very very wrong...should be 180kts per Wikipedia...i have to wonder what Microsoft was thinking when some of the stock planes were created...wtf?
max_indicated_speed     = 224                   //Red line (KIAS)

The DC3 can cruise quite easily at 190+ kts if you don't mind burning some extra fuel...leaving it set to stock will gimp your AI pilot's schedules as they will stick to the speed set in the Aircraft Details...basically at that speed they will fly gear and flaps down the whole way...ouch.

You don't actually have to change the aircraft.cfg file for this...but it wouldn't hurt to do so...in which case you would need to remove all the DC3 versions from the AH database, make the .cfg change (have a look at anything else you might want to modify at this time...empty weight (looks like a lot of seats could be removed), fuel capacity (for AIs to increase cargo capacity), or renaming passenger stations as cargo stations...something I like to do.

Note that if you remove a stock plane and reimport it, it's price in AH will change...about 90,000 Dollars less after my changes.

cheers.

I believe you can still change the cruise speed in the aircraft details from the fleet list...that will at least put any AI pilots who use the plane on a normal schedule.

Edit:

I just tested this in one of my fleets. Changing Cruise Speed in Aircraft Details will shorten your AI pilots flight times.

Cheers.

There appears to be some confusion amongst developers as to aircraft specifications as they get mixed up in conversions.

The weight thing is quite easy: Pounds convert to kilograms with enough delta to catch your attention if you blow it. 1KG = 2.2Lb

Speeds, on the other hand, can be a bit sneaky. Especially MPH to KT where the delta is only about 15% difference between Knots and MPH. The bigger difference is between Knots and KPH. 1KT = 1.15MPH = 1.852KPH

Most of us are way too lazy to start inspecting the nitty-gritty in the aircraft.cfg files. However, it certainly looks as though it would behoove us to pay attention if we're flying for an AH company. At some point I was informed that the "general" info in the .cfg file was not used anywhere in the simulation. We're all familiar with that section, aren't we? Here's an example:

FSX in Black - Wikipedia in Red

A321:

[General]
atc_type=AIRBUS (1 for 1!!!!)

atc_model=A321 (but which one - there were many)

editable=0 (don't ask me what this is - I can sure edit it)

performance="Cruise Speed \n0.80 Mach  530 mph   828 km \/h\n\n - Mach 0.78 (828 km/h/511 mph at 11,000 m/36,000 ft)

Engine options \nGeneral Electric CFM56-5B3 30,000 lb thrust\n\n - GE CFM56-5B3 is indicated only in the A321-211 Model

Maximum Range\n2,454 nm        4,352 km \n\n - 3,000 nmi (5,600 km; 3,500 mi),

Service Ceiling\n41,000 ft        12,497 m\n\n - A319 CJ and A321: 12,500 m (41,000 ft) (we're assuming the A321 because of the engines specified in FSX)

Fuel Capacity\n52,500 lb        198,675 kg\n\n - 24,050 L (5,290 imp gal; 6,350 US gal) standard (I'm confused: since when did 52,500lb = 198,675kg?)

Empty Weight\n105,906 lb        48,139 kg\n\n - 48,500 kg (106,900 lb)

Maximum Gross Weight\n205,000 lb        93,181 kg\n\n - 93.5 t (206,000 lb) (We would call this MTOW)

Length\n146 ft        44.51 m\n\n - 44.51 m (146 ft 0 in) - Yikes! Must be the same A/C (the conversion is even correct)

Wingspan\n111 ft, 10 in    34.09 m\n\n - 34.10 m (111 ft 11 in)

Height\n38 ft, 7 in        11.76 m\n\n - 11.76 m (38 ft 7 in)

Seating (typical configuration)\n186" - 185 (2-class, typical)

Category = airplane

OK - here's the W&B section from FSX:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight = 187392 // (pounds) Wiki says: 206,000 - Airbus says 206,000
empty_weight = 93662 // (pounds) (not the ZFW - so no direct comparisons. This is a very operator specific number)

Rumour has it that these numbers really are used in the simulation. So do a few comparisons with the "General" information and the "Wiki" info that is copied, above.

See any that are close?

I'd be inclined to make some corrections, using this website: http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a320family/a321/specifications/

If you're going to do a lot of this, then you might want to invest in a piece of software called "FS Panel Studio" See: http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ You will only (really) be able to edit 2D panels, but that is usually all you're looking for.

I also recommend you do a bit of research. An internet search string like "making new pop-up panels in MS FSX" (or some such) might yield a mess of information in this day and age.

I'm writing this with no worries that I'm stepping on someone's literary toes. All of the copied and pasted stuff you'll see, below, is either my own text or copies of the MS FSX stock text that you got when you bought FSX.

The following is what J Allard was referring to as a simple cut n paste job: A pop-up panel takes many forms. The easiest one to make is to edit your "Panel.cfg" file which is located in the sub-directory "Panel" under each aircraft.

Example: ..../FSX/simobjects/airplanes/Douglas_DC3/panel/panel.cfg

Inside that .cfg file (read with MS Notepad" or something better) you will find these lines:

(These are the stock popups for the DC3)

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radios
Window02=GPS
Window03=Throttle Quadrant
Window04=Electrical Panel
Window05=Other Controls
Window06=Mini Panel

Several things to note here: one is that the window id's start at "00" but your keyboard shortcuts start at [shft]1. So if you add a pop up panel, you have to give it a number that is one less than the keyboard callup.

For example: If you load the stock FSX DC3 and hit [shft]3, you'll get the GPS panel [Window02] displayed over top of your 2D (or 3D) panel.

There is some other jiggery-pokery going on in the DC3 panel.cfg under "window06=mini panel", and later where this panel is called up in the 3D panel references. !!!Best not to mess with this!!!

Better to name you new panel window07 (which will appear if you hit [shft8]. So add another line that reads - Window07=RADIO_STACK_PANEL.

Your DC3 config file should, now, look like this:

[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radios
Window02=GPS
Window03=Throttle Quadrant
Window04=Electrical Panel
Window05=Other Controls
Window06=Mini Panel
Window07=RADIO_STACK_PANEL

Now to add the popup, you'll need to: first find an aircraft with the feature you'd like to have in your new popup. We know for a fact that the stock FSX C-172 has a real nice radio stack popup. Go to the C-172 "panel.cfg" file and copy the whole panel group to your  clipboard (or simply copy the text I've supplied here as I've done the work for you, however if you want to learn how this is done, follow the instructions). This is what you're looking for:

[Window01]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
size_mm=156,308
position=8
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL
zorder=3

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio,        0,  0,156,31
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1,   0, 29,156,59
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2,   0, 86,156,59
gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF,          0,142,156,41
gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME,          0,180,156,41
gauge05=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,        0,217,156,49
gauge06=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,           0,262,156,48
windowsize_ratio=1.000
window_pos=0.756,0.358
window_size=0.243,0.641

Might as well load the whole stack. There's no points for second best.

Next, you need to give the new popup a place in the scheme of things. Look down the (DC3) panel.cfg file until you find the following lines:

[Window06]
position=7
size_mm=828,150
child_3d=1
background_color=0,0,0
ident=MINIPANEL

gauge00=Douglas_DC3!asi,                      0, 14
gauge01=Douglas_DC3!turn_and_bank,          139, 15
gauge02=Douglas_DC3!ahi,                    276, 0
gauge03=Douglas_DC3!gyro_compass,           438, 15
gauge04=Douglas_DC3!altimeter,              575, 14
gauge05=Douglas_DC3!vsi,                    711, 15

This is the mysterious window06 that does not appear if you hit [shft]7. Don't sweat it! We just have it here as a reference for purposes of this discourse. Under this [Window06] you're going to paste the contents of your clipboard so that it adds the radio stack stuff to the DC3 config file.

THEN - THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

You're going to change the first line from [Window01] to [Window07].

The final pasteup looks like this:

[Window07]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
size_mm=156,308
position=8
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL
zorder=3

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio,        0,  0,156,31
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1,   0, 29,156,59
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2,   0, 86,156,59
gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF,          0,142,156,41
gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME,          0,180,156,41
gauge05=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,        0,217,156,49
gauge06=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,           0,262,156,48
windowsize_ratio=1.000
window_pos=0.756,0.358
window_size=0.243,0.641

And that's it! From now on when flying your DC3, hitting [shft]8 will pop up the radio stack including the autopilot.

See if you can figure out how to get the little widget that is on the C-172 panel - the one that switches from GPS to NAV onto your DC3 2D panel. You're going to need this too.

• Like 2