C-46 For Possum's Flying Service

Howdy Boys (and Girls),

My new, New Zealand, air hauler is getting going. QuikAire is doing fine up in Canada, so time to set up a winter (summer in NZ) business so all those valuable Canadian pilots won't have to suffer the BC winter.

Started by selling the C-172, then immediately went into debt to get a C-182 and did the due diligence thing until I got far enough down the road to hire out an AI pilot. Soon as that happened, I leased a DC-3 to boost the kitty and gave it to the AI pilot to go out and make some money while I slogged around with a 3100# MTOW. Then I sold the C-182 and leased a C-46.

Now we're cooking with gas!

I modded the C-46 to give it a 1000 NM range and picked up a whack of carrying capacity. After all, I'm flying in NZ. How far do you think I can go? Much better to carry cargo than gas. MTOW is 44000, with an 8136# capacity for the AI pilot (full fuel = 950USG).

So here it is: The first flight of the Commando! Just around the beanpatch, with no cargo onboard. A checkride with the local check pilot. I'm now rated on the beast and my AI pilot made Captain today so she'll be able to fly it as well.

i-Tw3XHTp-L.jpg

Radials turning - ready to rock.

i-vs2TJKf-L.jpg

Slight right turn out. Bit of a breeze off the ocean. Coming back on the throttles. This puppy is flying!

i-H9Ww7gz-L.jpg

Cleaned up and on the outbound climb

i-pXFdnHV-L.jpg

TOC and on the downwind

i-QCtkVXF-L.jpg

Gear coming down. On Base, letting down and setting up for final.

i-cN2587z-L.jpg

My first Final in this beast. One notch, slowing. I think I'm going to need two notches.

i-zT4xn7C-L.jpg

Getting a touch low!!! Can you feel the sweaty palms?

i-dt8hMt5-L.jpg

Cheated death and won again! Put her on the numbers and here's the rollout.

i-R4Jzm3h-L.jpg

Ground - Papa Juliet Mike clear of the active. Full stop.

i-fT3QWrD-L.jpg

Looks like we're gonna have to jump!

That's it - down and rated! Let's go make some money.

What's the rampie doing scratching his head? 

• Like 1

Good luck to the new company...  I will keep on flying in BC / Alaska next winter, landscapes are beautiful at that time when the WX allows flying.

But I also plan to discover NZ fabulous landscapes sometimes once I have installed ORBX NZ ( could be a good idea for a Xmas present...  :) )

Evidently more expensive to fly (gas/petrol/benzin - pick your poison). Great big twin row radials versus the two single row radials on the DC-3. The difference in capacity was not enough to justify the extra cost.

Note: the numbers, below reflect MY adjusted figures for both aircraft. The C-46 has fuel capacity has been drastically reduced in favour of AH-AI cargo capacity.

A/C - MTOW-EW-FUEL=CAP (ignore oil and crew)

C-46 - 44000-30164-5700=8136 Lb. Fuel burn is 167GPH

DC-3 - 26200-16145-3624=6431 Lb. Fuel burn is 65GPH

The C-46 simulation "feels" a lot less nimble than the DC-3. Without RW time on either type, I can't comment on how accurate the simulations are.