Challenge Update - Pacific Section - Departure board

Challenge update, what happens next.

First of all we need to make sure we cover all the continents. Therefore I propose the challenge will take this outline route. Australasia, America (North, Central then South), Antarctica then Africa before returning home.

So the next big hurdle will be the Pacific, I have secured authorisation from all the controlling authorities to take the following route:-

Leg 16

Hong Hong VHHH --> Japan - Osaka Kansai International Airport RJBB

Completed by Smeagol

Leg 17

Osaka RJBB -->> Papua New Guinea Port Moresby Airport AYPY

Completed by Mutley

Leg 18

Port Moresby AYPY -->> Australia Melbourne Intl YMML

Completed by simi_av8r

Leg 19

Melbourne YMML -->> New Zealand Wellington Intl NZWN

Completed by Joe Ellwood(& Mutley)

Leg 20

Wellington NZWN -->> Cook islands Rarotonga Airport NCRG

Completed by Martyn

Leg 21

Rarotonga NCRG -->> Hawaii Honolulu International Airport PHNL

Completed by ddavid

Leg 22

Honolulu PHNL - USA --> San Francisco International Airport KSFO

Completed by dgor

CONGRATULATIONS on completing the Pacific Adventure! :roll:

Here's what it looks like.

pacific.jpg

So most of these routes are long haul needing some heavy metal!

Once we are in the USA then that will allow us to fly some more GA and military on the route South and we can be more flexible on the locations.

Ok so we know where we're going in the short term, please keep checking back. Pilot availability needs to be proven at the time of the next flight.

If anyone has any comments (Fred?) o this route, or (John) if you wish that we visit a particular location in the States please make your feelings known.

Cheers

Like the proposed route :roll:

The next leg to Kansai(isn't that the one on the man-made island) will be decided tomorow, so get your bids in!

You're right there Phil :wink:

I like the plan, Mut. Wouldn't have thought of going that way, but it works and gets us everywhere we ought to go. As you say, it's going to take some long-legged birds to do some of these legs, but that's fine. Amelia tried it on a shoestring and hasn't been heard from since.

I don't feel strongly about any particular destinations in the US, but appreciate you asking. I'll be jumping in soon, though will be

away from home and the hardware I usually fly with for a week beginning Friday. I'll be reading the forum, but will not be able to

fly anything that week for sure.

Have a new AC that I need to do some testing on to see what kind of range I can actually achieve with it, but it looks like it may be in the 2,000 NM range, so I can hopefully fit in somewhere.

John

Mut,

Like the proposed route, a lot longer than what we could do (just trans-pacific) but to be honest I'm enjoying the RTWC and am in no hurry to get it finished. I may be able to do one long-haul, but as it stands I have a lot of work to do and will be away all weekend, and back to school on Monday, but I'll just see how it goes. Just one question though, how big is NCRG? Is it big enough to accomodate a heavy?

NOTAM: Don't forget to check out Fred's scenery topic to see if there is scenery for your leg!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Rarotonga, runway is 2,328m (7,637ft) with ILS, VOR-DME and NDB

I'm sure that will be enough? If not we can put a stop in (somewhere?) between NCRG and PHNL? OR we could fly straight from NZ to Hawaii, I thought it would be nice to pop in on the Cook Islands :mrhappy:

Like I say this is up for discussion so if any one has a comment please post here.

Re the trans Pacific legs, as I mentioned above we need to take in all continents hence this route rather than RJBB direct to KSFO. Don't forget this is not a race and I realise after the holiday pilot availability will be more scarce but I should be able to do more flying if we get stuck.

Cheers

i'm liking the routes proposed there Mut, very challenging, and a fantastic chance for some more classic shots.

Also liking the idea of popping over to the Cook islands, that could be a hairy landing in the big metal that's required to get there...!!

is it too early to bid for Leg 18? I've been looking at my hangar and have a lovely bird in there begging to stretch her vintage wings :mrhappy: and think that she'd fit in well for a landing at Melbourne..

Hi Simi, glad you like the route and look forward to you maybe taking a leg, but as I said above...

we will not be taking bids for future routes until they are due. This is mainly to help the challenge along. Pilot availability needs to be proven at the time of the next flight.

So just make sure you keep checking back Here to see where we are with the Pacific routes and are around and available when we get to PNG :mrhappy:

Cheers

Hi lads (?) - if no-one else wants to do Raratonga to Honolul, I'll tentatively ask if you'd like me to take the baton the Short route - with the Empress. Both Raratonga and Honolulu International(s) are very close to the shoreline. But if there's another bid, I'm happy to stand easy. :rockon:

Cheers - David.

Hi David, the Pacific region certainly is proving to be popular.

I have had quite a few mails asking to fly legs which is encouraging but not what we set out to do but sometimes rules are there to be modified.

I will log your bid for this leg Here please keep an eye out :rockon:

Cheers

Thanks Sam,

I will put up a post for the Americas section soon where I will ask for destinations TNCM will be on the list and I will put you down as a bid received for both once I get the "departure board" sorted as well :rockon:

Cheers

Mut,

I would like to place a bid to fly the Honolulu PHNL - San Francisco Intl KSFO leg. Proposed details are below:

United flight UAL72

Depart HNL 07:30

Arrive SFO 15:34

Non-stop

Total duration 5hrs 4mins

Boeing 767-300ER

If I am flying this leg it will have to wait until a Saturday however. That is the only catch, and if it is a burden I will not be offended if you need to choose someone else :-)

Dave

Thanks Dave I have entered your bid on the departure board.

All legs have now a bid, of course we may run into trouble and may need someone to step in watch this space.