I found a retail boxed version (can install onto a new machine if necessary down the road) of Windows7 64bit on eBay at a Buy Now price of 75 bucks with free shipping... and jumped on it.

In other words I'm out of business for a while till it arrives because my computer went dodgy again, and not in a helpful DodgyAlan way.

More like a horrible slowing with bonus stuttery flying experience, outright pauses, lots of graphic glitchyness related to exterior aircraft textures going away (after switching planes a couple times exterior textures stopped showing up...incrementally till exterior views only showed pilots and passenger seats).

Uninstalling recent addons didn't help. Deleting and rebuilding the fsx.cfg didn't help.

The system repair tools weren't working. System Restore didn't resolve the issues. Revert to previous system image failed.

FARK IT! I wanted to reformat the disk and reinstall everything. Scrub it clean.

Regrettably when I purchased Windows7 through a computer repair place they instead installed their Licensed for resale OEM version and gave me a system repair disk (which didn't work), and I don't have a Windows7 Install disc as a result...until this Friday hopefully at which point I will have the tool to banish all demons and bugs from my computer, followed by a long day of reinstalling the entire kit and kaboodle streamlined down to only what I use in Airhauler which bottom line would be preferable to spending an entire weekend trying to diagnose a dodgy (not in a nice way) computer...phew...was that all one sentence...is it still?

Soon I will be master of my own machine. I really don't mind the idea of reformatting and reinstalling. So long as I have a decent essential file back up plan (Everything is available on my 3TB external drive) it's like getting a brand new system again. :D

I don't see how that could help Chris. I want to reformat my drive to exorcise every possible demon in it...there won't be an OS accessible after I reformat :P

Since I really don't speak Geek...lol...I have no idea how to go beyond the "provided tools" to repair issues...and when the provided tools fail (as they do for me at least 1/2 the time..cursed perhaps? Part Irish/Murphy target?) it leaves me at the mercy of a repair shop and their basic charge of 200 bucks minimum.

Ergo, complete wipe/reinstall will be faster and cheaper in the long and short run when these problems happen, as I'm certain they will again.

Then there is the down the road issue if I ever upgrade to a new machine, I would have to buy Windows7 anyhow as new computers don't ever seem to come with the OS install disks.

I forgot how to do it but I am pretty sure there is a way to revert your rig to it's original purchased state. It was easy from what I recall, sort of like press F7 at startup and you get a bunch of options, one being to revert back to basic installed status. Sorry for not having more info but it is a good thing to look into and figured I would throw it out there.

Good luck with the new build, :thum: I might have to do this myself if things stay the way they have been going. :(

• Like 1

WHAT! $200 minimum charge :wow: :gaah:I'd find a different repair shop.

I did...it's ME! :D 

That was the point of buying Win7.

Now It will only take one day to wipe/reinstall everything (the SSD's are pretty quick at it)...a computer store can't get it back to me any faster or cheaper. :thum: