Still confused more so now

Hi Guys, here's hoping someone can assist.  I have installed the drivers (thanks for the link Joe), but I need more information  on the trackclip pro and the hat clip I may have to use the hat clip for a number of reasons.

1. it does not appear to fit on my wireless headset
  2. my headset is wireless and do not want to be constrained by a cable. My monitor on which the Trackiir camera sits is a  full screen size 50" tv and so it very difficult to centre it I am hoping the baseball hat will be a better option, any ideas guys

The hatclip is made to clip on the bill of a baseball cap. It uses reflectors and the light source is in the "camera" and is reflected back to the camera.

They make another device (TrackClip Pro, I think, an additional purchase) that clips to a headset bow. That device has to be powered (USB port) and has it's own light sources (IR LEDs on three plastic "stalks"). These light sources are tracked by the TrackIR camera, instead of the reflectors on the hat clip.

John

The TrackClip Pro does require power for the IR LEDs, so to use it, you're going to have a wire.

The tracking, etc. of the TrackClip Pro is supposed to be superior to that of the hat clip. For one thing, with the hat clip option, the camera/sensor is working with reflected light and spurious light in the room or in the background can interfere. Other reflective objects behind you can be particularly problematic because they too reflect back some of the camera's output.

When using the TrackClip Pro, the LEDs are very strong light sources (to the camera - invisible to you) and are more easily discriminated by the camera than the reflected light in the hat clip option. In that mode, the camera is receive-only and does not need to transmit any IR light.

I've found the TrackClip Pro a better option but your situation has constraints that mine doesn't.

If by centering you mean the device alignment, which is an option on one of the F-Keys, there are sensitivity adjustments in the setup menus that can help you tune that. If you mean the physical centering on the top edge of the monitor, not sure what the problem is. I have my camera offset to the left of physical center of the monitor because the TrackClip Pro is on the left headset bow. if the camera is centered on the monitor, my face sometimes partially masks the LEDs with certain head movements.

John

Just a thought - maybe the TrackClip Pro could be jury rigged with a battery. It's just a light source, not doing anything exotic through the USB connection. The USB port is just supplying current; no communications going on via that port.

John

I confess I didn't reinstall this after upgrading my computer. If I had more room...ya, it's awesome, but my situation made wearing headphones and the proclip wires a pita for me. John's suggestion of a self powered unit would be excellent...clipped to a soft headband instead of phones or billcap would be easier to use.

I think Froogle mentioned a solution in one of his videos a few months back.

If I remember correctly he connected the TrackClip Pro to a "power pack" usually used for charging mobile phones when away from home and it worked perfect..

Thank you very much John for your fantastic information, I have learnt more about Trackir from you, than the  manual I am afraid this is going to be a slow process as I can only get assistance from a non technical/fsx person at weekends. Does the camera have to be sited on the monitor you are viewing ?

I think Froogle mentioned a solution in one of his videos a few months back.

If I remember correctly he connected the TrackClip Pro to a "power pack" usually used for charging mobile phones when away from home and it worked perfect..

thanks, I will try and locate that video

I confess I didn't reinstall this after upgrading my computer. If I had more room...ya, it's awesome, but my situation made wearing headphones and the proclip wires a pita for me. John's suggestion of a self powered unit would be excellent...clipped to a soft headband instead of phones or billcap would be easier to use.

Thanks Matt, from what I have seen yes its awesome

If using the hatclip, the camera must be located so it illuminates the reflectors on the clip and can "see" them to track head movement. A central position is best.

If using the TrackClip Pro, the camera must be able to "see" and track the three IR LEDs in the stalks on the clip. Since those are positioned beside the head, not out in front of it, a camera position little to the left of center works best.

I don't think it would work in either case if mounted anywhere else other than somewhere along the top edge of the monitor. On the desk would be too low and would introduce some angularity that would probably cause problems. The camera mount is not really a clamp, more of a universal mini-tripod that is designed to rest on something. Clamping it to the left edge of the monitor doesn't seem to be an option, though that location might work if using the TrackClip Pro and if a way could be found to actually clamp it.

John

There is a window that shows the IR dot's position within a grid relative to the camera's view. It is important during your set up, and each time you put it back on, to ensure those lights are well centered, or a bit high in that grid window...as it is easier for your head to duck Down out of the camera's view, than Up, having it positioned so the camera is pointed just slightly low, will help it all stay connected if you look down at your feet in the cockpit.

Re-Center is also available on a hot-key without dropping back to the setup menu.  If, for instance the TrackkClip has shifted on your head, or you've slouched in the chair, you can just hold your head steady for a half-second, pointed where you think straight-ahead should be, and hit the hot-key.  The thing will re-align to your new position.  It sounds more complicated than it is and becomes pretty intuitive.  I find that recentering once in a while on long flights is desirable because I seem to change my position in the chair.

Thank you Froogle of Borg.

I happen to have one of those battery packs, perfect size for the job, plugged in right next to me...although I do NOT have a wireless headset. If i find something in Fry's on sale I might just give TrackIR a go again this way.

This is the Frooglesim video on using a cell phone booster to make the TrackIR wireless, kind'a, sort'a...

John

thanks for that John, Froogle's video is a good idea. But I have put my track clip pro away for future use.............maybe. Right now I am going to use the hat clip as its an easier option,, I guess I need to read the manual as right now its all skewed