Dual monitor question

I was trying to connect 2 vga flat monitors to my Geforce GTX 760 video card.

My old card had VGA and DVI-I outputs, so it was no problem.

The new one has DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI and DP outputs.

I can make 1 vga monitor work on the DVI-I output using a passive adapter. I have a passive DVI-D to vga adapter  and its not working, so I read on the net that the DVI-D will only produce VGA signal with an active adapter.

What about the other 2, the HDMI and the DP, can they be adapted with a passive adapter or do I have to buy an active one?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen HDMI to VGA adapters on Ebay but I don't know if they are any good.

I had a similar issue and eventually bought a USB to vga widget which works just fine.

On my GTX770 I have two monitors. Both monitors have HDMI inputs only and my GTX770 has DP DVI-D and HDMI, one of each (I think) so I simply use an HDMI cable to connect one and connect the other using another HDMI cable with a DVI-D to HDMI adapter and it works just fine if I set it up in the Nvidia Control Panel.

If you're stuck with just VGA ports on your monitors you will need some sort of active converter from both DP and HDMI to VGA I think. The reason is that both of those are digital signals but the VGA signal is analog.

Yeah, I studied the subject a bit and found out that I needed an active converter. Since they are not cheap, I did what everyone else does: I bought something I didnt really need :)

But a new 24 inch monitor is nice to have and the 19 is now being used for all the extra stuff like Plan G, pop up panels, gps et.

The old monitor I've thrown out, so it will probably be exported to Africa and end up in some open dump site.