Random pics of P-40 around Southern England

Very enjoyable flying!

p40218.jpg

p40219.jpg

p40220.jpg

p40223.jpg

p40224.jpg

p40227.jpg

and if you say "Nice!" Kieran I will come around there and make you clean your bedroom! :mrhappy:

Have great evening, I am off out to help my sister enjoy her birthday see you tomorrow :thum:

Cheers

Fine looking example, Mut. They weren't very capable, but the AVG did a lot of damage with them in China just applying superior tactics.

They kind of had to fit the panel in around those gun breeches, didn't they? I never knew that. Must have been kind of loud, and I wonder where all the brass ended up.

It's cousin, the P-39 AirCobra had a mid-engine behind the pilot and a drive shaft between his legs. There was a cannon firing through a hollow propeller shaft. I'm still scratching my head over how that mechanism worked, but other AC did it too, so I guess it's possible. I wonder how they talked the first test-pilot into firing that cannon. "Sorry, sir. Every time I go up, it jams."

John

I remember the photo, now that you show it again. There can't be many of them left either. I believe many of them went to the Russians during the war. They used them very effectively as "tank openers". It's a lot like a can opener, but noisier.

Anyway, good shots of the P-40 and that one always makes me think of the P-39.

John