Windows 10 updates mandatory!

Oh dear, thanks Microsoft. Seems W10 updates will be automatically on whether you like it or not. For the Home edition, auto updates must be on according to the licence terms.

Personally, I like to install them manually so I have complete control.

If there's a dodgy patch released you are screwed.

Only the Enterprise version will resemble what we have now.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-updates-to-be-automatic-and-mandatory-for-home-users/

I can confirm that the new OS has no opt out for individual updates, I am using the current RTM version New updates etc are currently tested via the 5 million insider users, MS are encouraging a percentage of those insiders to continue in the program to test further updates and developments, myself included, that is a new model for Microsoft. If the feedback MS receives regards the auto update is sufficiently negative it is my experience that MS respond quickly if the issue requires attention.

Windows 10 will never be " finished " that is not how MS see this OS going forward it will always be in continious develpment

Pete

Edit. the link in previous post mentions possible incompatibilites with dx 9 etc

this has NOT been my experience i have been running FSX box Fsx steam prepar3d v2 with a load of old and new addons continiously for over 6 months and never experienced any compatibility issues with dx9 dx10 or dx 11 I have read posts on several forums where others have the same experience but ofvcourse it isn't possible to guarantee this for every combination of hardware/software now in PCs

I personally have no worries or concerns with regard to windows 10 as a platform for the currently available flight sims

Microsoft? Pushy? Nah...

Well, then...I just installed a bunch of Optional Security updates for Win7...suddenly I have a persistent new icon in my task bar that wants to give me a Windows 10 Upgrade for Free. The only options are: Get it, Reserve it, Go to Update, Learn about Windows 10. There is no, "No Thanks...get this bloody icon off of my Task Bar" option.

I have no doubt microsoft have world domination in their agenda  - and yes it is annoying that you lose control over updates 

You can disable the get win 10 app  - if you don't I expect there will be pop ups regularly asking you to update - 

if you wish to disable GWX here is what you need to know  

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

Having the same problem with my iPhone, I don't need their new pay-music update yet they seem to insist I do. :huh:

Obviously they all think we are to stupid to decide for ourselves. :P

• Like 1

You only need to remove update KB3035583, took me less time than writing this post...

That worked, but not all that fast since a restart is required.

Right I forgot that ! :thum:   but restart from SSD is quick and the PC does it, not me... And I'm slow at typing...  :)  

I can confirm that the new OS has no opt out for individual updates, I am using the current RTM version New updates etc are currently tested via the 5 million insider users, MS are encouraging a percentage of those insiders to continue in the program to test further updates and developments, myself included, that is a new model for Microsoft. If the feedback MS receives regards the auto update is sufficiently negative it is my experience that MS respond quickly if the issue requires attention.

Windows 10 will never be " finished " that is not how MS see this OS going forward it will always be in continious develpment

Pete

Edit. the link in previous post mentions possible incompatibilites with dx 9 etc

this has NOT been my experience i have been running FSX box Fsx steam prepar3d v2 with a load of old and new addons continiously for over 6 months and never experienced any compatibility issues with dx9 dx10 or dx 11 I have read posts on several forums where others have the same experience but ofvcourse it isn't possible to guarantee this for every combination of hardware/software now in PCs

I personally have no worries or concerns with regard to windows 10 as a platform for the currently available flight sims

I'm building a new PC in a couple of months, probably a Skylake system. To be honest, despite the updates always on issue, I will still go for W10 I think.

Not too concerned about flight sim, as I's not using the sim much these days.

Like you say Microsoft may well add the option to turn off updates with enough negative feedback. Or some bright spark will find a way round it unofficially.

Microsoft? Pushy? Nah...

Well, then...I just installed a bunch of Optional Security updates for Win7...suddenly I have a persistent new icon in my task bar that wants to give me a Windows 10 Upgrade for Free. The only options are: Get it, Reserve it, Go to Update, Learn about Windows 10. There is no, "No Thanks...get this bloody icon off of my Task Bar" option.

I only installed the critical updates, so missed out on the icon.

talkng to a guy from Wired2fire yesterday, some of there systems were using win 8.1 like me with no issues, he was saying that go to win 10 after its been up and running for about 6 months. I think I will stick with 8.1 which has given me no issues with FSXSE, P3D and even though I rarely use it XPLANE......will only be something I will think about when I build another PC but that wont be for a while.....

Wayne

With regard to 3rd party driver updates found this gem at Avsim:-

"You can disable driver updates in W 10 by doing the following :- Right click START button and click SYSTEM.

Click ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS on the left pane.

Go to the HARDWARE TAB and click DEVICE INSTALLATION SETTINGS.

Tick the NO, let me choose what to do setting.

Then click the NEVER INSTALL DRIVER SOFTWARE FROM WINDOWS UPDATE.

And untick the AUTOMATICALLY GET DEVICE APP & INFO PROVIDED BY YOUR DEVICE MANUFACTURER  box."

All that said, I shall stay with W7 myself. For the Sim Rig anyway.

• Like 1