Editors Keys - Flight Simulator X Keyboard

Very nice bit of kit, and an interesting review.

Compared to the cost other backlit offerings, the £99 price tag seems quite reasonable.

Its a shame that my typing obliterates any keyboard with printed characters (I can wear them off in weeks!)..

Interesting review Joe. Is this the one I saw at Weston?

I like the look of it and I think it could make keyboard use easier.

I currently use a Madcatz one that is just backlit in orange and is not aimed solely at FSX users. Price was £50.

However I could be swayed to this next time depending on a couple of things. The main one is how well it functions as a standard keyboard. We run a business from home and as most things are cloud based or external drives I use either laptop or sim PC.

Hopefully someone will have one at Cosford and I can take another look.

Great review.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

This is a MK2 version of that keyboard you saw in Weston with nearly 70 changes, I think it is safe to say the original wasn't up to the job :whis:

The new version will be on my stand at Cosford and probably on the Chillblast stand too as they are a reseller. You are more than welcome to try it out as a regular keyboard on my stand.

Cheers!

Joe

Good review Joe.  Interesting product and I can see the benefit.  The one drawback that I see is the keys themselves.  They are the 'chiclet' type keys as opposed to standard keys.  That makes touch-typing rather difficult.  I steer clear of those type of keys.  My MacBook has those 'chiclet'' keys and I hate them, but as it is a work computer that my company provided to me and I use it only occasionally, I manage to get by.

Hi Richard,

I had to lookup "chiclet"! I  would say that the keys are rounded just like the ones on my Dell Ultrabook and my MacBook Air. I touch type too and agree that a more conventional keyboard is far better suited. However, that is not really its claim to fame being a FSX shortcut keyboard.  It is a two second job to switch keyboards if this one floats your boat! :hat:  

Hi Richard,

I had to lookup "chiclet"! I  would say that the keys are rounded just like the ones on my Dell Ultrabook and my MacBook Air. I touch type too and agree that a more conventional keyboard is far better suited. However, that is not really its claim to fame being a FSX shortcut keyboard.  It is a two second job to switch keyboards if this one floats your boat! :hat:  

Good point about it's purpose being an FSX shortcut keyboard Joe!

• Like 1

I'd like something like this, not sure if THIS is the one I want. But I am tempted since it is so FSX specific.

I definitely would like a backlit keyboard.

Question:

Is the info on the keys only printed, or is it molded in/inset as well?

I saw it is possible to Dim the backlights, but is it possible to change the white key edge color to something more Night Vision friendly? Red/Green?

Concerns:

Forced to use default key mapping to match the keyboard. (I have several custom keys made because I couldn't remember the default strokes as they "didn't make sense to me"). Obviously, having the shortcuts printed on the keys eliminates the need to "Remember" weird key combos. I'd just need a week to get used to the change and stop using my custom keys.

I appreciate that this keyboard maker colorized some Key Groups, like the Open Windows/number keys, but I would love to have the ability to colorize specific keys for easier spotting of them in the dark, especially while using TrackIr...looking down at the keyboard even a little bit causes a huge head drop in TrackIr...kind of annoying while making a Video. Perhaps that could be done myself "custom" with a colored felt pens around the white lit key edges...or even just the front edge..but that is a kinda Micky Mousesque solution. I currently use bits of colored tape cut into graphic symbols on often used keys so I can stab at them from peripheral vision easier...circle for gear, up and down arrows for flaps...stuff like that...a very Mini Mousesque solution. :)

Nice review Joe...I just might be picking this up or adding it to the wish list... if I can't find a more customizable board with regard to lighting options.

Cheers.

I am guessing if i like and want to buy at cosford it will be through chillblast.. would i get a better deal there or through here as our sponsors? Just asking...I have been saving and dont really know what to buy yet....

I'd like something like this, not sure if THIS is the one I want. But I am tempted since it is so FSX specific.

I definitely would like a backlit keyboard.

Question:

Is the info on the keys only printed, or is it molded in/inset as well?

I saw it is possible to Dim the backlights, but is it possible to change the white key edge color to something more Night Vision friendly? Red/Green?

Concerns:

Forced to use default key mapping to match the keyboard. (I have several custom keys made because I couldn't remember the default strokes as they "didn't make sense to me"). Obviously, having the shortcuts printed on the keys eliminates the need to "Remember" weird key combos. I'd just need a week to get used to the change and stop using my custom keys.

I appreciate that this keyboard maker colorized some Key Groups, like the Open Windows/number keys, but I would love to have the ability to colorize specific keys for easier spotting of them in the dark, especially while using TrackIr...looking down at the keyboard even a little bit causes a huge head drop in TrackIr...kind of annoying while making a Video. Perhaps that could be done myself "custom" with a colored felt pens around the white lit key edges...or even just the front edge..but that is a kinda Micky Mousesque solution. I currently use bits of colored tape cut into graphic symbols on often used keys so I can stab at them from peripheral vision easier...circle for gear, up and down arrows for flaps...stuff like that...a very Mini Mousesque solution. :)

Nice review Joe...I just might be picking this up or adding it to the wish list... if I can't find a more customizable board with regard to lighting options.

Cheers.

Hi Matt

Apologies, my home internet has been down for a couple of days <boo hoo>

The keyboard has good points and other points, I won't say "bad" as some of the comments/concerns are beyond their control.

Q1 Is the info on the keys only printed, or is it molded in/inset as well?

A1 - The the legends are etched into the keys and unlikely to rub off or wear.

Backlighting is on, or off with no dimming and there is no colour switching of the light source. However, the light around the keys is not too bright to be distracting, IMO.

The developer was constrained to the key mapping that evolved with the last iteration of FSX, being Acceleration.  These mappings were carried forward to P3D so should be familiar to users of Prepar3D too.

Any reassignment of key commands within FSX could negate the default key legend if modelled on the keyboard.

Although not recommended,  I will take a took to see if  you could colour the key lights for TrackIR but only on the understanding that disassembly of the keyboard would immediately void any warranties.

I'll get back to you here Matt.

:hat: