Hello all, newbie to Mutley's Hanger here.

Flightstore did a roaring trade at Cosford and one of my 'bargains' there was the ESI Guernsey scenery DVD. Can't complain at the price but what I do have is a problem understanding what qualifies for ESI's idea of a fast machine to run the program on.

In any scenery I have FPS typically around 35 or more (set at 60) no matter what aircraft I use. My rig is i7 on an SSD for FSX, and the scenery  (not ORBX) is on another SSD. Graphics card is a EVGA 660Ti GTX.

I'm thinking that's not a bad set up. However, If I have just one of the ESI Guernsey seasons enabled, FPS is down to 8 to 12 at best. Disable all season and I'm surrounded by water but, at least, FPS is up to 22.

I've tried all manner of permutations on the scenery options but it just don't wanna know. Also, and this is the bit that really hacks me off, when I uninstalled it I now have a runway in a valley!! It seems ESI has stolen some files and I don't know how to get them back. I don't want to reinstall FSX yet again ( lost count now) but I do wonder if the FSX DVD 'Repair' option should claw back those missing files.

Any help on this little problem (arghhh!!!!) woulld be much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Richard!

And a warm welcome to Mutley's Hangar!     :D

I can't help with your Guernsey problems, I'm afraid (the runway's too short to land my 747-400 there,so it has never been part of my simming) but I had a dim recollection that I had seen something here on that topic, and indeed I found the post I had been thinking of, which might perhaps have some stuff which could be relevant — as well as pointing you towards some denizens of the Hangar who may be able to help!    ;)

Check it out here: http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/15444-earth-simulations-esi-packs/#entry125808

I seem to recall also some talk about ESI scenery conflicting with Orbx England, but I may be mis-remembering..... :huh:  (Do you have any Orbx stuff installed?).

Good luck with your problem!

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a.brian747

Richard,

ES Guernsey is a heavy hitter on framerates if you have maximum scenery and autogen density enabled. Can you tell me what LOD radius you are using? It's also worth noting that setting the framerate limiter to UNLIMITED will actually get you increased framerate performance in very dense scenery areas, although there would probably be an increased chance of "stutters".

Thanks Bruce and Christopher.

'Stutters' would be an understatement I think. It practically stands still!

Lod radius is 4.50000, Christopher. I might add that I have GenX scenery and umpteen UK2000 Extremes and VFR scenery's, all of which perform  beautifully. No Orbx as I'm not happy that it has to go in the FSX folder as opposed to it's own ( so I understand ). ESI warns about that on the instal menu.

I'll go to unlimited FPS, and I will admit that sliders are all petty well maxed out but, why should I have to compromise for that sake of this particular scenery package.

Going back to my original post, would the 'repair' reinstate the lost files for Guernsey?

Thanks for the link, Bruce. I'll take a look.

Regards,

Richard.

Further from my last Christopher, as you well know from your forum input at UK2000Scenery, if you wish to get the benefit of all the best that Gary can offer, the autogen and scenery complexity should be set at more than 'dense', particularly at airfields like EGLL, which is why I don't fancy de-tuning those sliders.

Looked at the link,Bruce. I'm afraid I went down that frustrating path with ESI and their installer. I opted to have another go by buying the DVD but, here we are again. :(

Richard.

I'll go to unlimited FPS, and I will admit that sliders are all pretty well maxed out but, why should I have to compromise for the sake of this particular scenery package.

I absolutely agree with you, Richard. I do not compromise scenery and autogen complexity on my PC, which is why I know how hard ES Guernsey can test it! It is probably the hardest hitting scenery package that I use in P3D (including ES Isle of Man, ES Shawbury Fields, and VFR London X). I run P3D v3 with a LOD radius of 4.5, although I may increase that to 5.5 when I start testing the VAS management.

Thanks again Chris,

Right, getting better results with settings as 'dense'. Any more than that it doth protest loudly,

Which leads me back to what I said earlier which is, to see Gary's work I'm going to have to adjust my settings. And that, is just crazy.

Just noticed that whatever wind direction is blowing the wind sock always points to the east! That's before if disappears close to touchdown!

The fact that ESI has gone down the tubes speaks volumes.

Gentlemen, your input much appreciated. Many thanks.

Richard.

• 2 months later...

It's no good, It's got to go.

Now, having done all the usual things to uninstall, going the Control Panel route to uninstall I get the message that I have to refer to ES's uninstaller which then refers me to their now defunct system. ESI files on the drive have been deleted ( I think) but something is nagging me that it won't delete of the listing in control panel in the normal and conventional manner.

Has anybody discovered how to get this thing out of their PC?

Any help appreciated.

Richard.

Hi Richard!

Sad to hear that it didn't turn out well for you.     :gaah:

For getting rid of unwanted things, have you tried the free CCleaner utility? In the Tools menu there's an Uninstall option which can sometimes remove things that the ordinary Windoze installer can't.

Worst case (though I can't recommend this <*cough*> ) you could search your disk for relevant directories and delete them (after a security backup in case you need to get them back), followed by CCleaner again, but this time in its Registry Cleaner mode (again, take the option to make a backup, Just In Case). You might still have to manually remove any entries in your scenery.cfg file, though.

Best of all might be one of the very serious uninstallers such as Revo. Their home page is http://www.revouninstallerpro.com/ and they used to offer a try-before-you-buy version?

Good luck,

Cheers,

B.

P.S. Which Broughton are you living in, I wonder? There are lots, as I'm sure you know, but when I was working for what was then Hawker Siddeley Aviation I lived in the one that's just on the border between Cheshire and North Wales. But that's nowhere near EGLL....     :)

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the guidance and this final attack might just be the one.

Re the surname, my parents resided SE London to start with, but I've always been within ear splitting distance of Heathrow, either east or west of the runways. Bit quieter these days but still no need to add to it with another runway ( ahem!!!).

In my youth of too long ago I heard of a distant uncle bearing the surname which may have been north of Watford but I can't be sure.

Nevertheless, it sounds like someone in the past got around a bit! :)

Thanks again for the help.

Regards and Christmas greetings,

Richard.

D'oh....

My apologies, Richard, it was obviously too near my bedtime when I added the P.S. to my previous post. Since it was on a separate line just above Country I had taken 'Broughton' to be your location. (It's me eyes, doctor...).    :wacko2:

Good luck with combing the unwanted stuff out of your machine, and all the very best for Christmas and the New Year!    ^_^

Cheers,

B.

I will admit that sliders are all petty well maxed out but, why should I have to compromise for that sake of this particular scenery package.

The scenery is designed to be maximum realism. Even the manual states that performance under current good specs should not be expected to be stellar.

ES sceneries were not designed to be run at maximum sliders unless you have a real cutting edge rig, so expectation management is probably your real issue, sorry, not the scenery per se :(

I will agree that ESI installer is a real pain though now that ES have ceased trading and there are no servers for it to communicate with :(

Despite all efforts and recommendations, to uninstall from the control panel, a message refers to the software supplier to uninstall!

I can't find any trace in FSX CFG or drive.

A nasty piece of work.

Richard.