4k TVs as displays

I've been looking a lot over the past few months at 4k tvs and trying to work out from people who use them exactly what features/specifications are necessary for a good experience.

As well as full native 4k resolution, the ability to support that resolution at a variety of refresh frequencies, HDMI 2.0 support and full YUV444 implementation appear to be necessary.

In a nutshell, (and much simplified), without those you are likely to get display induced stutters and poor display colours in some situations.

How you set up the sim with your tv obviously affects results as well but hardware with the required capabilities is a pre-requisite for getting that right!

Richer Sounds are currently selling quite cheap 50 and 55inch Hisense 4k tvs at £499 and £649 respectively. Both models support all the pre-requisites I listed above :) And, the company do a 7day no quibble return if items arent satisfactory for you :)

[You will of course need a pretty capable GPU to run at 4k, I think minimum would prob be a GTX970 or equivalent, but evidence seems to indicate a single 980ti will perform admirably with no need for SLI'ed monster GPUs!!]

I might pick one of them up for myself after my house move early next year, but posting info here in case anyone is in the same position as me and wanting to take the plunge but not happy outlaying a significant sum of money with the risk youve wasted it if it doesnt work as you want it to :)

Cheers K

I'd get a stiff neck just try to scan all over the screen at that size. :D Personally I'm the kinda guy that waits for prices to come way down and the tech to be figured out to the max but if you got the bucks and there is a great return policy(if it doesn't look that good for the price) than enjoy and let us all know what we are missing. :)  

If and when I get a 4K TV it will be to replace our existing TV, I cant see that I will be able to afford or justify a second one!  

Personally I am far more likely to go down the VR head set route as most new add-ons come with a fully working VC with custom coding for all but a few controls.  

PS Aldi have recently had some 4K 40 inch TVs for under £300. 

If and when I get a 4K TV it will be to replace our existing TV, I cant see that I will be able to afford or justify a second one!  

Personally I am far more likely to go down the VR head set rout as most new add-ons come with a fully working VC with custom coding for all but a few controls.  

PS Aldi have recently had some 4K 40 inch TVs for under £300. 

Sounds cheap, just make sure they support the necessary connections refresh rates and colour specs otherwise it will give you a Christmas present of stutters :P