PMDG 777 Update Test

Well - an update has been released for the 777 apparently bringing better performance. I have to say, on my setup it did bring a few extra frames at cruise altitude and during takeoff. Took a quick snap too...

2016-01-0419_39_18-MicrosoftFlightSimula

Great shot Jim..I prefer smoothness myself as opposed to FPS...

Very true but if your fps drops below 18 smoothness goes out the window. So I think they go hand in hand.

Agree though as long as I don't drop below 23 it remains smooth and I'm happy. I don't really care about how high frames go or being at 30 as long as it's smooth.

Great shot Jim..I prefer smoothness myself as opposed to FPS...

Very true but if your fps drops below 18 smoothness goes out the window. So I think they go hand in hand.

Agree though as long as I don't drop below 23 it remains smooth and I'm happy. I don't really care about how high frames go or being at 30 as long as it's smooth.

yep you are correct........sometimes setting to unlimited and seeing how high it goes can be a good feeling of how good your rig is...

In his recent article about progress on the 747 QotS II ( http://www.avsim.com/topic/479621-09dec15-a-whole-lotta-747-400-goodness/#entry3337571 ), Randazzo gives some figures for VAS usage compared to the NGX, as a baseline.

He notes that the 777 uses 300Mb more VAS than the NGX. Many people have noted extra VAS usage, but this quantifies and confirms it.

Incidentally, his comment about the (still in development) 744 Mk II was: "...right now VAS use is about 240MB below the 777...  and we are still optimizing..."

But it's his comments on the 777 update which are more relevant in the context of this thread (see http://www.avsim.com/topic/481007-01jan16-new-year-new-updates-for-the-777-product-line/#entry3349565 ), in which he concludes by saying:

"We have given you back about 38% of the memory previously used by the 777, but that amount of memory pales in comparison to the amount of memory used by many other packages users are trying.  Let me make this as clear as I can: 

An OOM in FSX/FSX-SE/P3D is the computing equivalent of inviting 4 friends to the beach when you only have 3 other seats available in your car.  The last one to arrive is going to get let behind.

At PMDG we are alarmed by the massive growth in memory consumption being driven by high resolution texture packages and poorly optimized scenery packages- and we are doing everything we can to remain within our already small memory footprint...  but you as the user have to make smart decisions about what you want your sim to accomplish.  It cannot do everything- but it can do almost everything...  You gotta use your noggin', however!

Okay- so grab this update and go enjoy the addition 250MB of available memory space....  We think you will find it runs better overall."

When combined with his other comment that I quoted above, this could, I suppose, imply that prior to update 1d the PMDG 777 used 550Mb more VAS than the NGX. Hmm....

But at least PMDG are taking VAS usage seriously, and one has to agree with his comments about the general increase in VAS usage by other add-ons.

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I'd say that after the update the 777 uses 50 mb more memory than the NGX..

My interpretation of the last sentence in your second quote is that the user have an additional (not "addition" as it's typed, why else add "available" after the stated number?) 250 mb of memory available, thus they have managed to reduce the VAS usage of the 777 by 250 mb.

> "I'd say that after the update the 777 uses 50 mb more memory than the NGX.."

Absholutely! I'll drink to that! (In a minute or so, anyway...).

Randazzo shpecifically says "When we finally recompiled the entire 777 product line [bC: preshumably for version 1d], we found that in both FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D, we were consuming about 250MB less memory than we had been in the version currently on user machines."

So (pleashe forgive me, I'm under the affluence of incerhol) the 300Mb that he mentions in the first quote that I schited above, minus the 250Mb he mentions in the quote I just gave, comes to.... er, 50Mb?

I jusht love it when everyone agrees.    :D

Cheers!

B.

> "I'd say that after the update the 777 uses 50 mb more memory than the NGX.."

Absholutely! I'll drink to that! (In a minute or so, anyway...).

Randazzo shpecifically says "When we finally recompiled the entire 777 product line [bC: preshumably for version 1d], we found that in both FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D, we were consuming about 250MB less memory than we had been in the version currently on user machines."

So (pleashe forgive me, I'm under the affluence of incerhol) the 300Mb that he mentions in the first quote that I schited above, minus the 250Mb he mentions in the quote I just gave, comes to.... er, 50Mb?

I jusht love it when everyone agrees.    :D

Cheers!

B.

I'll drink to that!

I just enjoyed reading this Psoht so mcuh.

Cheers Bruce, hope you slept it off comfortably surrounded by clouds and 747 blinky lights. :stars:

:):D

P.S...where can I get some of that incerhol...sounds effective.