A bad experience.

Hey guys.

Well, i decided to buy a new GFX card and my choice for bang for buck was the ATI Radeon 4850. This would be my first ATI card but with good reviews i thought now might be the time to move away from Nvidia. Big Mistake!!

I was really looking foreward to getting the new card so when it came and installed with no issues i was one happy chap. Of course what else would be my first try but FSX. Pretty good so far with what seemed like very smooth frames but something was wrong. Everything seemed a bit fuzzier ? Ah it had reset to 1024 so back up to my native 1280 and it looked bloody aweful. I had jaggies!! Off to the settings i went and woohoo i can crank it up to 24xAA, my old card managing 16xAA. Well thats when my jaw dropped, every setting on the card maxed and what a sight greeted me?..?..? A mess would discribe it without all the expliteves that i used. I had loaded a very complex Alpha model with bumpmapping and real gauge and what i got was a ton of shimmering with still noticeable jaggies :shock: Even the frames were only 3fps faster than my 7900GTX :shock: So fair enough maybe FSX is at its peak on my CPU but it looked worse by a long shot from my Nvidia card and i was

That's bad luck Steve, I suppose you tried all the filtering modes~?

If only we could know these things before installing. I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing myself. 5 minutes to install and 5 hours to sort out. Grrrr

So you are back with nVidia? If you should decide to upgrade don't go for the new GX series, I understand there is no improvement over the 7/8/9 series cards.

Kieran my brother has a 4870 and has no issues at all. I think its very much dependant on your own setup as to how good or bad a product is. Lucky for me Overclockers have imediately accepted it for return so at least all i lose is postage. Now which Nvidia card will i get :mrhappy:

steve

Kieran my brother has a 4870 and has no issues at all. I think its very much dependant on your own setup as to how good or bad a product is. Lucky for me Overclockers have imediately accepted it for return so at least all i lose is postage. Now which Nvidia card will i get :mrhappy:

steve

That's good news Steve, looking forward to see what you choose.

I have a 9800GX2 http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2.html it's been very good so far.

Cheers

"One that properly works with FSX!"

My system works fine with FSX ta very much. The 4850 card has been slated on many forums as a poor performer with FSX where AA comes into play. As i can only run at a max 1280x1024 with my monitor AA and AF a very important to me and as this card is not doing that well i have no choice but to lose the card. The 4850 is an incredible performer for its price in just about every other game so is a shame only FSX struggles with IQ.

I only recently revamped my PC as you know Joe and my PSU is only 550. I think the 9800GX2 is power hungry. Also in FS the 9800GTX has similar performance to the GX2 at 1650 res and come quite a bit cheaper so will probably go with that one. I'm still a bit gutted really as the 4850 is a great card for everything else i use except FSX. Maybe in time they will release a better driver but on the flip side maybe they won't. No doubt in time i'll regret seding it back.

Cheers...

steve

The 9800GTX would be a great choice :mrhappy:

I have to admit to having nothing short of an electricity sub-station in the back of my PC :rofl

Now I have sorted my bios problems out it's running well, I thought I was in for a new mobo for a while :wink:

Cheers

I'm still a bit gutted really as the 4850 is a great card for everything else i use except FSX.

If I were you I would be patient a Little while longer. Your statement above demonstrates it's not the card. ATI release drivers quite frequently, put some feedback on their site. They are probably aware of the issue and working on it. Why not send them an email to find out if it's an issue they are working on.

Have you tried an older ATI driver?

Aye i know what your saying as i got the RMA nuber to send it back and then started to read reviews of cards. The 4850 always comes up top for the price range. The card has been re-installed after a format because of some weired issues i got swapping the card 4 times. Its slick in all my games so can only hope they sort it for FSX. Funny how you can make bad choices while raging about something :rockon:

steve