Vicious attack and a sad loss.

Gods...I visited the site a couple days ago and saw that notice.

I'm surprised there isn't a way to get the FBI/James Bond's outfit/Geek Squad to "Pay" the ransom and follow the money to it's source. And then show that hacker SOB what a vicious attack feels like.

• Like 1

My wife had a new computer infected with Crypto-Locker - similar to what is reported here - a few days after getting it.  It was within the 30 days and she just deleted all the files and returned it.  Thankfully most of the things that were important were backed up or had not yet been moved to that machine.  We were pretty lucky.  

They wanted something like $300 to unlock it, payable, somehow, in BitCoins and indicated there was a short duration clock running on the offer - act quickly or the files were gone forever.  I suspect they hit paydirt on a lot of the infected machines; people must hate paying the ransom but I'll bet plenty of them do.

There are some sleazy bastards out there.  Kudos to the guy who's the subject of this for refusing to ante up despite a great personal loss of information.  Good for him.

John

• Like 1

One reason why most of my files are transferred onto an external hard drive that I turn off when not needed.  I don't keep any sensitive stuff on the main computer. Saves space as well. 

I have heard the FBI actually recommends paying the ransom if you need the information back even though in most cases the data is never recovered anyway. Sounds like they don't have a clue what to do nor will not get involved with individual cases.:rolleyes:

I hope all these hackers get what's coming to them.:yesa:

• Like 1

I have a very large Google drive that I have linked to a drive of the same size on a server PC.  Anything valuable gets copied to the server and synced with the google drive.