Longest duration scheduled flights

Here in Europe, most people feel aggrieved if their holiday flights are more than about five hours in duration. But in the world of intercontinental travel, there are many flights which are seriously longer than that. Some may recall Singapore Airlines’ almost 19 hour, 9,534-mile trip from Newark to Singapore — although the all-business-class Flight 21 was axed in 2013, nine years after it began.

Today, two airlines compete for the title of the world’s longest non-stop flight: the tied winners are Emirates Flight 449 from Dubai to Auckland, New Zealand, and Air India from San Francisco to New Delhi. Both take 17 hours and 15 minutes, though the Dubai-Auckland mileage is considerably longer — 8,819 miles compared with 7,690.

However, Singapore Airlines plan to take the title back when they resume their non-stop service from New York to Singapore in 2018, which is when the airline takes delivery of the first of seven A350-900 ultra-long-range aircraft.

For more info (and a map) concerning the current top nine contestants for the 'longest flight' trophy, follow this link.

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

17 hours cooped up in a tube, no matter how wide, would feel like an eternity to me. It's been many years since I've long hauled, London to Singapore being the longest. Through different time zones one slips into a sense of surrealism. The best in-fight entertainment sometimes comes from watching the pax. Between Delhi and Karachi I swear there were chickens in cages in the cabin, it seemed like everyone was moving house, pots and pans, everything but the kitchen sink. Wouldn't have been surprised if there were some pax on the roof.

But 17 hours? That two and a half paperbacks read in that time. Doubtless in-flight entertainment has moved on in the last 30 odd years but as someone who cannot sit still for more than 20 minutes 17 hours would be hellish.

EDIT. Second line above typo, 'in-fight entertainment' ?? But somehow seems appropriate so I'll leave it in.

Thanks Bruce, some interesting info but I'm with the others in thinking that's is one heck-of-a long flight. Catch the middle seat between some screaming toddlers and a large sweaty nonstop talker and it would feel like three days. You would be begging for a stop along the way with a long layover. :wacko2: 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, brett said:

Thanks Bruce, some interesting info but I'm with the others in thinking that's is one heck-of-a long flight. Catch the middle seat between some screaming toddlers and a large sweaty nonstop talker and it would feel like three days. You would be begging for a stop along the way with a long layover. :wacko2: 

I think I'd be in the restroom 15 hours if that was my seat.