Leg 8, Soerstokken ENSO to Honningsvag ENHV

Hi all! Sorry for the slight delay in procedures, I got back from Germany on Sunday and have been working solidly with schoolwork ever since.

I am pleased to say the baton has arrived up in the far North, and the pics will be up later. Again, sorry for the wait.

So here we are, the baton is ready to be propelled at 300mph over 1000 miles, into the Arctic Circle! You're in for a ride.

As you may notice, today the baton is on board a SAS Dash 8 Q400, a lovely aircraft in my view.

fsscr003-24.jpg

Leg 8 of this epic voyage is under way!

fsscr004-27.jpg

Climbing away from Soerstokken's runway 15, we head for the fjords.

fsscr005-24.jpg

FS Terrain + UT Europe doing a nice job here.

fsscr006-23.jpg

Hardangerfjord, one of Norway's biggest.

fsscr007-19.jpg

Some difference in this prop to that on the Wright Flyer!

fsscr008-19.jpg

She's nicely lit by the late afternoon sun.

fsscr009-16.jpg

The Hardangervidda, a vast expanse of ice on a high plateau.

fsscr010-20.jpg

Our Q400 soars gracefully northwards.

fsscr011-21.jpg

Approaching Trondheim, Norway's second city.

fsscr016-13.jpg

One of these fjords was the hiding place of the German battleship Tirpitz. (Was she a battleship or a battlecruiser, I can't remember..?)

fsscr019-15.jpg

As we reach our next waypoint, Bodo, we pass into the Arctic Circle at 66 degrees 33.

fsscr021-15.jpg

Now we are over the Lofoten Islands, famous for their natural beauty and how remote parts of them are.

fsscr023-9.jpg

Pressing on north, the light fades ever so quick, and by Tromso, the worlds most northerly city, we are in near darkness.

fsscr025-13.jpg

Having passed Hammerfest, we descend and turn for our approach into Honnigsvag

fsscr029-8.jpg

Onto final, I hadn't realised when bidding for the flight that it involved such a dramatic approach!

fsscr031-5.jpg

As you can imagine, I was rather caught up in putting the thing on the ground, and consequently was sent this by a late night onlooker, as i skidded to a halt inches from fallin into the sea...

fsscr032-12.jpg

But all is fine, the baton is safe.

fsscr033-10.jpg

A shame it's not summer, reef, I would enjoy handing you the baton during a never ending sunset! As it is, we'll have to settle for the grim, perpetual twilight of a Nordkapp autumn.

Night all!

Bravo on that landing Phil :clap:

Later on in the challenge there are other difficult or challenging approaches too!

Great choice of aircraft and livery and expertly captured and commented too Phil.

As our most senior ATWC pilot salute1.gif you certainly came up with the goods!

Thanks for getting the baton safely to Honningsvag :yikes:

Cheers

Excellent post Phil !! The flight was over some fantastic scenery and the commentary especially the geographic references really made for a perfect ATWC leg. Nice to see the Dash-8 also, not seen a full flight from this turbo but she has nice lines.

Due to my leg being long i actually flew it as soon as i recieved it and thus actually had the last of the sun for my flight. Even at the suns highest it was still only just above sunset. I agree on the approach, deffinately one of the tightest i've ever seen and you did a good job getting her down especially as you had not seen it before.

Top marks all round Phil, was a joy to read :yikes:

steve

:thumbup: Awsome shots Phil, really enjoyed looking at those, an honour to have handed the baton over to such a qulified pilot.

Joe it must make you feel good to know that the baton is being kept safe on it's journey around the world by such qualified pilots. I sure am proud to be a part of the journey and share an experience with a really great bunch of guys like Phil.

Thank you all.

Wayne,

This has been a truly great adventure so far, I really couldn't ask for more!

Phil was our very first ATWC pilot and has been supporting me ever since, that's why he is the most senior ATWC pilot, cheers Phil.

It's a shame you were not there for the last one Wayne but there's plenty of action lined up yet :wow:

Cheers