Rex_P3D Uninstall_Reinstall

I'm going to start this thread while I'm waiting for P3D to Uninstall - takes forever. I've already restored my scenery/texture files using the Rex procedure and then backed everything up in P3D. The reason for all this activity is that Rex Essentials didn't work in my P3D sim. I started this with the intention of going to the PMDG 777 and got keen on seeing some better upper air textures. After an initial glitch where Rex would not recognize my account for P3D, which was solved by the boys at Rex, I found that a lot of the advertised functionality within Rex just didn't work. Principally, the flight planning and then the "Fly Now" buttons.

I'm assuming the textures worked out OK as there were clouds about in the test flight that I did. Problem with that was that I was using real world weather and it was a beautiful day here about so there wasn't much cloud activity.

The flight planner in Rex just didn't work - period. I tried several times loading up short flights. They showed up in the box but that was the end. When I hit the "fly Now" button which is supposed to launch P3D and load up all the weather, etc., nothing happened. No P3D, just a button that did nothing.

So I gave up on that and went to the page where there was another big "Fly Now" button. Pushed it - nothing!

P3D has uninstalled so I'm going to disappear for a while to re-install it. I originally had P3D in the default Win7 location C:\Program Files (X86)\Prepar3d 3D v3\ etc. Rex insists that it should be installed outside that default path, so that's where I'm headed. Incidentally, FSX has always been mounted at C:\FSX. I don't know why I installed P3D in the default location - silly of me, no?

See you later.

I'm back - 4 hours! That's how long it took to backup and remove both P3D and Rex Essentials. I did have dinner in the midst of all that and did a few short flights in P3D to make sure that my recovered scenery (see another post on the CYYJ RW27 ILS Fix in this forum) and added aircraft files all went back in with no problems. All appears to be sweetness and light on the P3D front.

Rex - now that's another thing altogether. I re-downloaded all the files for Rex Ess & O'Drive - it's supposed to be the latest and this is where I run into an issue: The 'About Rex' tab on the RHS of the GUI reports that I have version build 3.8.2014.1126. The Rex website has a Service Pack shown as a 'Hotfix'. This hotfix, when I click on the file in their download centre comes up with a great big warning - 

Before I go any further the lot of you are probably asking why I'm not researching this on the REX website. Trust me, I have tried. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I sure can't find anything that comes close to a question like mine

You MUST have version 3.8.2014.1126 installed PRIOR to installing this service pack! Check your version FIRST!!

OK - that's good, see the line above: I have that version (3.8.2014.1126)

Then it goes on to say this:

In addition, this only applies to early adopters of SP3 (those who installed the SP3 before December 12). If you installed SP3 AFTER December 12 you do NOT need to install this hotfix and it will fail to install.

I cannot find any Service Pack on their website other than the one that downloads with this warning (above) embedded. Huh???

During the installation process, the installation wizard will ask you to identify a location where to install the upgrade. Be sure to click the "BROWSE" button and select the main REX ESSENTIAL PLUS OVERDRIVE folder where you originally have it installed. If you do not select the correct location the upgrade will not work properly and you will have to start over.

OK - That's clear - - - Let's look a little further down the page - we have this:

SERVICE PACK 3 HOTFIX INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

FROM: REX ESSENTIAL PLUS OVERDRIVE BUILD 3.8.2014.1126 - YEP! That's my version. But, WHAT'S THIS?????:

TO:      REX ESSENTIAL PLUS OVERDRIVE BUILD 3.8.2014.1211 ---Here's another version number, higher than mine, I take this to mean that I will have version 1211 IF I do the update . However, the instructions clearly state that I shouldn't do this if I installed (what??) SP3 after December 12th. I guess I did because I didn't even buy the thing until January the 5th.

So what would you do, dear reader?

- Install the thing only to have to go through the whole rigamarole all over again

- Ignore the whole works and ASSUME you already have SP3 installed (obviously not because the version number hasn't incremented).

I've one more day before I have to leave. I'm going to sit on this overnight and have another look at it tomorrow. If anyone can offer up a bit of wisdom, please go ahead.

Hi March,

My sympathies for all this palaver, my advice is to fire up the main REX program go to the info/about page where it shows your version and there should be an upgrade check button? push this to see if it takes you back to REX to download the latest patch. (This is all from memory so may not be totally accurate)

Cheers,

Joe

Marhy this may be a bit of a silly thought, I used to run REX with OD and I thought I had to set the path in the set up or options for REX to fire up P3D, I am sure it needs you to input the .exe somewhere, I now run REX4 and I open that to chose my textures, once installed that launches AS16 and FSX... I may be talking complete buzzcocks though...best of luck with it though as it is worth getting sorted....I do feel your pain, had it recently with P3D to the degree where I have uninstalled completely...

Thanks Joe,

Seems there have been a lot of changes over at Rex. I'm betting that what you're thinking of is what they now call the 'Download Centre'. Updates are not there, they seem to reside in the 'Support Forum' page.

About_Rex_1.jpg

I'm going to bite the bullet and install the SP3 despite the semantics issue on the upload page. I think the proof is in the statement that 1126 becomes 1211 after the hotfix.

23 minutes ago, wain said:

Marhy this may be a bit of a silly thought, I used to run REX with OD and I thought I had to set the path in the set up or options for REX to fire up P3D, I am sure it needs you to input the .exe somewhere, I now run REX4 and I open that to chose my textures, once installed that launches AS16 and FSX... I may be talking complete buzzcocks though...best of luck with it though as it is worth getting sorted....I do feel your pain, had it recently with P3D to the degree where I have uninstalled completely...

There is definitely a place in the second tab under 'Weather Engine' where you have to tick a few boxes. Those boxes are:

- Enable Rex Weather Engine - Ticked

- Enable Auto-Start the Rex Weather Engine - Ticked

- Enable Auto-Launch the Flight Simulator - Ticked

- Enable Vatsim  - (Not ticked in my case)

- Enable green message bar within the simulator - Ticked

- Enable weather data download - Ticked

Thanks for the thought, I think I have that covered.

• Like 1

OK. We can put this to bed for now.

I installed the SP3 file with all the warnings on it. Installed fine and now my version matches what it is supposed to be. Fired it all up and most of it works as advertised. The flight plan function still needs to be studied. I can make one and (supposedly - I can find several written this morning, but ATC can't find them) save it and use it. The 'Fly Now' button injects the weather, P3D loads, but I still have to create the flight plan within P3D to have it recognised by ATC and acted upon.

More time needs to be spent on this one.

The good news is that I'm getting some decent real-time weather for a change. I think I'll fire up the Lear and head across the mountains to CYCC and see what happens.

edit: Oops - that's CYYC 

Edited by Quickmarch
mistake in ICAO

I was under the impression that the Flightplanning bit was a subscription thing to a group of some kind?...I still have it but not loaded as I changed to REX4 TD....I have tried to open the manual but cant for some weird reason...I found this by rstough who I think is a REX person, its from a while ago but may be an option for you though I am not sure how it works...

REX Flight Planner:

- The REX Flight planner was never meant to replace or be a detailed flight planner like that in FSX or FSBuild, etc. It was mainly meant to bring the user a visual view of the weather tied to the users flight plan. Many just import their flight plans from FSX into REX to view the weather conditions during their flight. It also allows the the weather engine to select the best textures that would match the weather conditions along your route.

best of luck, at least you are getting the great textures now....

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne,

I was just hoping it would connect with ATC to get the IFR flight plans in the system before firing up the sim. I'm new to the P3D version of ATC but the few flights I've done have all resulted in problems getting hooked up to the ATC system. Mostly this consists of not starting with an IFR clearance. I just get instructions from ground to the hold line and a VFR clearance. One flight refused to let me launch because the wx was below VFR minimums, so no way to air file. I've not found a way to get the thing out of the VFR loop, short of shutting down the sim completely and starting from scratch.

Going to take a bit of experimenting.