Plandampf 2008 - Werratal, Germany

So here we are, this is what I did in half term.

Some guys in Germany had a brilliant idea...why not use vintage old steam engines to run modern day heavy freight trains in wonderful scenery, and ask people to pay a donation for it to happen?

This idea became known as Plandampf - translated as 'scheduled steam'.

It was thought that last year's would be the last ever Plandampf, but suffiecient funds were raised for it to go ahead once again this year, on the Werratal line between Meiningen and Eisenach, in the old East Germany, in the Thueringer Wald.

Anyway, to the shots. We (Me, my Dad and my Brother), flew from Heathrow to Frankfurt on Thursday, requiring a 5:00 wake up... :shock:

A Syrian airbus pushes back

DSCF1438.jpg

Our aircraft, D-AISL, a Lufthansa A321

DSCF1439.jpg

United seem to be at Terminal 1 nowadays!

DSCF1441.jpg

Another Lufty approaches T2

DSCF1443.jpg

My favorite aircraft!! I didn't know they flew here...

DSCF1444.jpg

Ba 747 takes off in the background

DSCF1446.jpg

There's a really noticable American presence here...American, United, Delta, Continental, and Northwest!

DSCF1456.jpg

T3 as we take to the air

DSCF1462.jpg

Twickenham Rugby Stadium!

DSCF1466.jpg

London Docklands

DSCF1474.jpg

Approaching 07R at Frankfurt

DSCF1477.jpg

Luftys and Uniteds

DSCF1483.jpg

My first ever steam hauled freight! 2 x 52-8 Kriegsloks haul gravel and wood through Foertha

DSCF1486.jpg

Having got to bed after midnight, due to having a ride on a passenger train hauled by steam, it was tough to get up at 05:15 for the first train of the day!

DSCF1504.jpg

The Pacific loco 03 1010 was on one of the sets of passenger trains today

DSCF1507.jpg

A 52-8 reaches Oberrohn

DSCF1509.jpg

The next one, later that hour

DSCF1510.jpg

Back up to Foertha, which is the station near the tunnel mouth at the top of a steep climb, where i had to hide behind a bin and take the photo through a fence, in order to be out of view of the hundred odd people taking photos or videos a bit further up!

DSCF1516.jpg

One of the 52-8s sits in Walldorf, ready to head a wood train up the short climb to Meningen

DSCF1521.jpg

2 52-8s sit tender- to- tender in Immelborn, which is where the gravel is loaded

DSCF1529.jpg

Here they are seen departing with their 1600 tonne train

DSCF1533.jpg

Here's a shot of all the crowds, with the train charging off in the background. In the middle are my dad and brother

DSCF1536.jpg

An unexpected stop in Oberrohn to pass a service train. The sun sets in the distance

DSCF1538.jpg

A new class of loco! 41 1144 climbs the north side of the bank, to Foertha tunnel.

DSCF1545.jpg

2 x 52-8 storm past as they reach Oberrohn.

DSCF1553.jpg

This shot was taken through my binoculars!

DSCF1554.jpg

A double header with a wood train in Marksuhl, the bottom of the steep section of the run up to Foertha station.

DSCF1562.jpg

Two 52-8s sit side by side in Immelborn, preparing for the grand finale, 1700 tonne gravel train to Eisenach.

DSCF1574.jpg

This shot is particularly interesting due to the old semaphore signals, plus the gorgeous light. Unfortunately there is a wire in the way...

DSCF1583.jpg

My favorite

DSCF1585.jpg

No more pics of the finale due to the light disappearing, but I do have a video of it on youtube.

Here is the scene in Eisenach yard that evening. You ca njust make out the 3 front lights of a steam engine, and its steam whisping around.

DSCF1594.jpg

Sunday morning, Plandampf was officially over, but there were two related specials which we stayed around for.

41 1144 at the same spot as seen earlier...different conditions!

DSCF1597.jpg

It joined up with a train from Meiningen, and here is seen leaving Immelborn

DSCF1606.jpg

And leaving Wasungen

DSCF1609.jpg

Leaving Walldorf

DSCF1611.jpg

Here are 2 videos i've done.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CnnZ1O-vw

k7CnnZ1O-vw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HMyGxrSn-j0

HMyGxrSn-j0

Hope you enjoyed! There are many more shots, these are only the ones I thought you'd enjoy most!

Got to admit I prefer the steam locomotives, reminds me of my early youth when I use to watch them on tracks near me :yikes:

A very, very enjoyable post Phil, thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Cheers

superb stuff there phil :yikes:

love that shot of you climbing out of heathrow and the view of T3 :clap:

quite like the angle of the shots...make the trains look "cooler", especially the shot titled "A new class of loco! 41 1144 climbs the north side of the bank, to Foertha tunnel"

like the shot at frankfurt with the tails of the a/c as well....very nifty idea phil :cool:

Believe it or not, there's a railway track about 600 yards from MartinW's house. I don't hear them that often as it's down an embankment but every now and again a steam train hurtles past on its way to Tysley station, where they have a few old steamers. Even just the sound is quite thrilling.

http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/brm.htm

I must have a bash at that Shakespeare express some time. It might be quite entertaining for Katy.

Fares are a bit steep though. Stratford's not bad for me, about

Phil,

Just excellent! Great topic, great shots.

Like Mutley and Uncle Martin, I can remember steam trains from my younger days too. Diesels replaced them and they are better in almost every way, but still, something worthwhile was lost. It's good that a few are preserved and kept operating from time to time.

John

How absorbing - wonderful set of photo's, Phil - thanks for sharing! :dance2:

Loved the photo of London Docklands - Greenwich is where I grew up (you can see the park where I played cowboys 'n' injuns). :roll:

And the fantastc Dampf-Lokomotieven - my pen-friend Detlef's father used to be an engine driver for Deutsche Bahnhof, and his house was 5 meters from a slight incline in Neuss (near Dusseldorf). We used to hang out of his window, watching the incredible machines steam past - what a fantastic sight - especially at night, with the fire-box glowing - and the noise - pure magic.... :wow:

Thanks again! :clap:

Cheers - Dai. :wow:

P.S. The Heathrow/Frankfut pics were good too! :rockon:

Actually I only recall one steam train experience when I was very young indeed. It was at one of the stations in Birmingham, probably New Street Station. A train let off steam and frightened the pants of me.

Mutley must be incredibly ancient.

And John... well, probably dessicated by now. :rofl

Thanks for all the comments guys!

It truly was one of the best trips I've ever been on.

Although I'm too young to have any memories of working steam (except for this, of course), there is definitely steam in the blood, with my dad and uncle mad about it, with their father and at least 3 uncles into trains...