Taxiing the Alabeo C441 Conquest II

Hi, it's almost impossible for me (and for others at Avsim forums as well) to control the taxispeed while taxiing the C441 Conquest II from Alabeo. Since this product was reviewed here by Andrew Godden, that found the way to taxi the aircraft normally, I would like to have some hints from him on how to properly taxi this aircraft.

I opened a ticket with Alabeo, but they were not very responsive and mentioned that they'll look into this issue (with no more words).

Thanks, Ed

Ed,

Getting control of the taxi speed in any turboprop, no matter whom the developer or aircraft, is a fine art. I have done a lot of flying in turboprops so I didn't necessarily find the Alabeo Cessna 441 Conquest II any more of a challenge than others I fly, hence the comments in my review. I always expect it to leap forward at the slightest touch of the throttle.

Three things I always do when taxiing in a turboprop:

• ensure the propeller lever is in the full ground fine position,
  • use very small amounts of throttle and with slow increases, and
  • use the breaks (a lot).

These might seem very simple, but that's all I do.

• Like 1

Adding 2 cents that may have no value for the Conquest...I don't own it, not sure if this will have any effect:

In the DO228 with it's powerful turboprops it is possible to manage taxi speed by mostly using the mixture and prop levers, and just a tiny Boost with the throttle to get rolling then back to full idle. The props when they are semi-feathered (levers full back) give More Pull, or when set to Fine, Less Pull...The Mixture when full forward gives the engines more fuel and more thrust, while moving the mix levers back "derates" the motor making it put out less thrust. There is probably some setting for the both of them that will result in a consistent 12kt taxi, but I haven't found it yet...so I joggle those two Lever Sets (2 levers each) back and forth as necc to control the speed, plus a bit of brakes here and there when necc.

Cheers. Hope it helps.

Coff.

Edited by Captain Coffee

Ok guys, thanks for your input, I'll continue the battle. In particular the Conquest is giving me a lot of trouble if I compare it with the Do228 and other propliners. Very appreciated.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

In the real world, for some turboprops, it's normal to go in and out of beta range (reverse thrust) intermittently to control taxi speed.  It's done to avoid wear and tear on the brakes, which is the other alternative.  I don't know if your control setup allows beta or not, but if so, give it a try.

In some AC with turboprops that run at 100% rpms all the time - C-130 for one and I think the MU-2 and others, the props have a zero thrust position.  In those the prop speed is always very high and the control set up is such that the power lever controls a governor that manages both prop pitch and fuel flow.  

It might be worth looking into  a complex control setup that will let you do something like that.  The only alternative is to use brakes as needed.

John

EDIT: 

There's a good, but dated (the year FSX was released) article here that talks about ground operations and other things in the Beech 1900.  

http://www.flywestwind.com/wtc/pprograms/turboprops.htm

The most important part for the purposes of this thread says...

"MSFS does not replicate the ground fine setting, thus by selective use of reverse we can simulate ground fine and reverse. By just using a small bit of reverse simulates the slow down effect of ground fine and by using all of the reverse simulates lifting over the second gate into reverse."

It's not clear to me if, in referring to "MSFS", whether he means FS9 or FSX.  Given the date it could be either.  

The advanced control setups that are available in the registered (paid) version of FSUIPC might provide some useful features for solving this problem in a realistic manner.

JDA

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...