Harrison Ford Does a No-No

As near as I can glean from the articles I've read about this, he was cleared to land on 20L, one of two parallel runways.  Taxiway C lies parallel to Rwy 20L, further left (on the opposite side from the much larger 20R).  I think he landed on taxiway C.  It appears he screwed the pooch on this one.

In flight sim terms, substitute Rwy 19L and 19R for 20L and 20R.  Evidently creeping magnetic variation has caused the runways at KSNA to have been re-numbered sometime since FSX was put together.

In FSX, 19L is 2,889' X 75' and 19R is 5,708' X 150'.  

John

EDIT:  Article with a pretty good diagram here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4229206/Harrison-Ford-spotted-air-investigation-hold.html

...though the size of the airliner symbol is certainly exaggerated and I suspect the "hump" in his flight path is too.

JDA

Unless I missed it the article didn't mention what time of the day this happened, anyone know? Not that it matters I guess, day or night it's pretty hard to miss those two runways but as a long time pilot, with great taste it aircraft I might add, he should be given the benefit of doubt until we hear his side of the story. :yesa:

I was surprised at the amount of venomous replies I had read about his age and giving up his right to fly. These may of been in response to the articles listing his list of past accidents, which technically could happen to anyone, yet it still amazes me how angry folks can be and that's before they have even heard the full story. Having an age limit for commercial pilots make perfect sense although I have to think that there are plenty of pilots perfectly capable of flying into their later years. :) 

I agree with Brett, and from John's reply...I also agree that Hump was probably exaggerated...I doubt a small GA would have been aiming for the very end of the runway or taxiiway...more likely that he'd aim for before center for a shorter roll out to a taxiway in that STOL bushy plane. But I sure would love to see video of the incident if any existed. :)

I'm not disparaging his ability.  By all accounts he's a reasonably experienced and accomplished pilot.  Everyone has a bad day.  I won't be surprised if he gets more from the FAA than the event warrants.

There was another case of an aircraft landing on a parallel taxiway within the last year, also somewhere in California.  I don't remember the details except that it was a larger AC and they allegedly had the morning sun in their eyes, so obviously not at KSNA with runways at 02/20.  It all sounded pretty similar, however.   

I think I remember an airliner, almost certainly Delta, that did the same thing at Atlanta a few years ago.  

John

The Atlanta one is here...

http://avherald.com/h?article=42187f22

I think this is the other one I was thinking of, in December 2015, but Seatac, not in California...

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2015/12/31/tango-taxiway-a-history-of-mistaken-landings-and.html

JDA

• Like 1

Interesting reading about the other taxi landings. The Atlanta in particular sounds like a "Pilot error but give em a break considering the situation" kind of situation. Man, I'd hate to be in their hot seat after that incident, but can totally see myself doing exactly the same thing given the same "wrong" light conditions after a last minute runway shuffle, and the fatigue on board.

The others at SEATAC sound like they should consider painting or paving Tango in bright Tangerine paint/pavement considering how often it has happened there. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you, fool me thrice...why the pigeon haven't you fixed this shit???!!!

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1

Video (actually two) of the landing.  No disruption visible in his glide path to my eye.  He was well above the airliner and did not seem to have to pull up to avoid it.   It doesn't excuse a botched approach/landing but it was nothing like the close call the media would have had us believing.

I'm sorry to say you have to sit through a 30 second ad to see the video.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/02/21/harrison-ford-plane-landing-taxiway-video/

• Like 1

I cant see him being able to fly again after this.  Its a massive bad waiting aircraft or not and he is no spring chicken, surely he has got to call it a day.

Edited by J G
24 minutes ago, brett said:

He's famous and rich, whatever penalty a regular bloke would end up with just cut it in half and then half again.^_^

Homeopathic Justice...it's not real justice but if watered down and wrapped in enough BS rich white people will buy it and profess it's anecdotal benefits. :D

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 19:27, Captain Coffee said:

Homeopathic Justice..

Very amusing indeed. well it would be if it wasn't true!

Me thinks it will be worth watching this one to see how watered down the end game is!