Florida Neighborhood on Alert for Escaped Cobra

Florida Neighborhood on Alert for Escaped Cobra

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/14/florida-neighborhood-on-alert-for-escaped-cobra.html

Ooops - this is about 10 miles from me.  It's only a 2-footer, but it's still a COBRA - brrrrr - we already have native rattlesnakes (several types), water moccasins and coral snakes - isn't that enough?

Why do people feel that it's OK to keep things like this as pets?

John

I'm already equipped with something far more effective than a flute - read the shirt.

Considering my miserable musical talents, a flute would probably just make him mad anyway.  I suppose I could use a flute to beat it to death with but I don't think they make flutes long enough for that - about 18 feet would be the practical minimum.

John

• Like 1

You can't make this stuff up.  

The guy who had the Cobra also kept other "exotic" animals and the Cobra can't be found.  There is speculation that the snake may have been eaten by a "large lizard" he also owned.  It must be one bad-assed lizard.  Apparently they have gone so far as to X-ray the lizard but the results are "inconclusive".  No word about what the X-ray technicians had to say about all that.

Those snakes can get into some pretty small places, I would sleep with a gun and one eye open if I was him.:D

I'll withhold any comment about folks that keep dangerous animals of that sort for pets.

John  great I have just booked a two week holiday in May to Orlando. you better find this snake abit  quick as my wife won't get off the plane if she reads this post.:stars: 

How do I hide a laptop, any ideas ?

cheers Mike

• Like 1

I have come across these buggers in the wild in India. Nasty things, not good at all if you're bitten by them. Their strike range is not great though. They attack from a reared up position so can only strike out up to the distance they stand up off the ground, usually about a yard. 

• Like 1
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 00:31, allardjd said:

This one is only a 2-footer.

@mike H This is well over a hundred miles from Orlando.  I wouldn't worry about this particular cobra.

John

Thanks John  that's good news, we have only to look out for Gators, May Bugs and Micky Mouse.

13 hours ago, allardjd said:

It got down to about 40 degrees here overnight - probably not cold enough for long enough to kill it, but probably made it hole up somewhere warmish.

John

India gets quite cold at night, in the winter cold enough to wrap up warm. sometimes with a light frost in the hills. It would have to drop well below zero (C) for a prolonged period to kill this creature. A winter in Chicago might do it, but not in Florida.  In fact a cold night would encourage it to enter a nice warm house.:huh: