Big Lizzie comes home.

Unless you live in a cave without TV you cannot fail to have seen the footage of our new carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth coming into her home port of Portsmouth, Hampshire.  She is an impressive ship and once fully operational will become a major asset not only to the Royal Navy but NATO as a whole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-40936071

She's a beauty, if I was close enough I would toss a coin on her for good luck.:) That port doesn't look as big as usual with that ship in it.:D

Not a cheap toy by any means and the costs will keep going up but it is a great addition to an already formidable navy in the HMS line. The only problem with carriers is that they need quite a large force just to protect them.

• Like 1

Great looking ship.  May she have good fortune throughout her career and serve the UK well for many decades. 

Love the two islands - they should refer to them as Jersey and Guernsey (or Wight and Man, though some snowflake might consider that racist).

I would have liked to have seen an angle deck too.  I guess you can't have everything.

John

EDIT:  I wonder how the Queen feels about the "Big Lizzie" moniker.  I suspect we are not amused.

Is it officially named for her or for Elizabeth I?

John

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, allardjd said:

Is it officially named for her or for Elizabeth I?

Definitely for Brenda (Our present Monarch) Her sister ship will be called HMS Prince of Wales, by the time it comes into service, Prince Charles could be King :help:

• Haha 1

The article mentions "conventional" F-35s, so probably the F-35A Air Force model without the VSTOL capability, which would be immaterial in the war games described anyway.  The F-35B has less range, payload capacity and lower g-limits than the A and C models, but the avionics are essentially the same and the situational awareness advantage described in the article applies just as well to the B model.  

John