So it is my turn to take the baton on its next leg.....and its a long one!

All the way down to South Africa from Rhodes.

I think for that kind of journey we're gonna need some heavy metal.

I'm not sure if this is a ATWC first but I thought i would snap up the opportunity. The word of our challenge has spread far and wide and a certain individual had wanted to be involved in some way. 'We would like to offer our sevices as a carrier for the baton they said'

AIRFORCE ONE.....the baton would travel with the president himself on a final trip of his term down to South Africa! The president made it clear they could take us to Cape Town but he would arrange further transport for us once there!.....

fsscr012.jpg

Taxing to the active and a speedbrake test......ever think the baton would ride on this Mut?

fsscr014.jpg

Rotation and we're on our way to sunny climates in the southern hemisphere

fsscr016.jpg

fsscr017.jpg

Making our departure turns

fsscr019.jpg

Climbing magestically

fsscr020.jpg

The cruise took us over some pretty open and empty lands

fsscr026.jpg

The light starts to fade as we head into the sun set on this long trip

fsscr029.jpg

Almost there as we make ready our landing config

fsscr033.jpg

fsscr035.jpg

We taxi to stand and thank the president for his hospitality! We're told to overnight here in cape town and then transport shall be made ready for the morning.

fsscr038.jpg

As we pushback we cant quite believe what has been provided, USA BBJ, Callsign Airforce Two as the vice president would be travelling with us to see to it that we arrive in comfort.

fsscr042.jpg

As we taxi out

fsscr045.jpg

Cleared to take off

fsscr046.jpg

Rotation

fsscr048.jpg

Climbing over the mountains

fsscr052.jpg

Our cruise was crystal clear but rain is forecast at FAPI

fsscr058.jpg

Starting our descent after the 2 hour hop, looks like we're heading right into that rain!

fsscr061.jpg

ATC kindly leave us above the rain to begin with

fsscr063.jpg

But sure enough we have to descend into it at some point

fsscr065.jpg

fsscr066.jpg

Almost ready to touchdown

fsscr068.jpg

Down and reverses on.

fsscr074.jpg

We park up and make our exit before the Vice President gets caught up in official duties! We're in South Africa!

fsscr070.jpg

fsscr072.jpg

Comments welcome

CaptHill

Excellent leg Capt 001_th_salute10re.gif

Yes I think a first for the challenge AF 1 and 2, mega aircraft, mega legs and mega shots.

Hopefully Wayne won't be throwing his shoes at Dubya at the press conference I've laid on, a pretty good dodge by the "Pres" I thought :rofl

Thanks for getting us safely to FAPI, hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers

Oh great news the baton is in South Africa, or shall I say :sleep: , I am on a film shot doing some flying for a up an coming movie about South African Jet Aces during the war. I will need to borrow a plane and get my A%$ up to FAPI to meet the baton and pick it up for the next leg, need to pull some strings and I must get hold of CP to meet me there.

Great post 'Capthill', and :cool: the baton surely did get first class treatment on this leg, well the president must recognise the importance of the baton, in the way it is bring Nations together around the globe.

Loved this leg, well done CaptHill.

• 2 weeks later...