Handly Page Herald

Handley Page Herald G-CEXP took to the air from Radlett on April 5, 1968 and after a long illustrious career, last flew in July 1994. Stranded at Gatwick Airport, XP was used as a towing trainer before becoming a visitor attraction on the roof of the South Terminal. Sadly this was not to last, and a change of policy saw XP join the Gatwick Airport Fire Service.

The UK Heritage Aviation Trust (Charitable Incorporated Organisation No. 1177141) have been given the opportunity to restore XP to her former glory by the Gatwick Airport Fire Service and we hope to move the aircraft to another airfield in the foreseeable future. This fund will be used to facilitate the move to a secure home, purchase spare parts and begin her restoration.

The fund raising site is at Justgiving and can be reached at: 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/hpheraldxp?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=20180227_84774&utm_content=crowdfunding

Please considering giving a small amount to secure this venerable aircraft against scrappage.

Thanks,

Joh.

Edited by J G
  • Like 1

Repeating yourself is not a good sign at your age JG.:P

It is worth keeping any older aircraft even as a static in a museum.:thum: 

Am I right in saying there were not many made because of government interference.

16 hours ago, brett said:

Am I right in saying there were not many made because of government interference.

My read of the wiki page on this seems like initially the gov'mint belly punched the project due to some "aircraft manufacturer consolidation' regulations... and let the F27 get ahead of the game...from which it never recovered due to worthy fokken competition from the f27, as well as poor timing and a "barely as good" product that just missed the gate. Looks like a lovely airframe though...sad for it's designers that it never got the chance to be a contender.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Thanks 1