A Troll Through a Download Libary

I just did a slow troll through the 27-1/2 pages (10 per page) of new files in the Flightsim.com file library and would like to share a few impressions and thoughts.  I think their "New Files" button brings up everything uploaded in the last 30 days - 257 new entries in this case.

First and foremost, this has reinforced a creeping sense I've had lately that X-Plane really is becoming a mainstream contender in the flight simulation genre.  There is a surprising amount of new freeware listed there for X-Plane, along with much also for FSX and P3D, of course.  It's also worth noting that the flow of FS2004/FS9 stuff seems to continue unabated as well.  There is even some new stuff being added for FS98, though I can't imagine why.

The makeup of what's there in terms of content is about the same as always with one exception.  It seems to me that AI flight plans have fallen out of favor and I didn't see too much of that offered.  In the not too distant past there were pages and pages of that being uploaded every month.  Otherwise, in descending order of frequency, it seems to be repaints, scenery (including airports), fixes to earlier things, complete aircraft (AI and flyable) and the occasional panel, instrument, sound file or utility.  Repaints dominate, as always.

Of course this is just what's been uploaded in the past month - all the older stuff, barring the odd deletion for one reason or another, is still available in their file library.  It's a great resource. 

I have to acknowledge the developers here.  I believe a large part of the reason for the popularity and longegevity of this hobby/addiction of ours is because of the unending stream of new "stuff" that we're presented with.  This applies to both the freeware and the payware developers.  Both have done sterling work to keep pushing us forward.  One of the many charms of the whole FS thing is the richness of our options to make of our personal simulators what we want them to be with add-ons of one kind and another.   In addition to those who produce the new freeware, we should also be grateful to those who maintain the on-line file libraries for us.  Flightsim.com is my favorite but there are a number of others as well and they make an important contribution.

It doesn't hurt either that the hardware has largely caught up with the software.  Middle of the road systems seem to be able to handle a fairly robust FS without too much in the way of problems.  It hasn't always been like that.

It's a great time to be a flight simmer!

John

• Like 4

It's a great time to be a Wealthy Flight Simmer. :)

I agree the freeware offerings make so much content available to newcomers and old timers alike, but the "cutting edge" stuff is creeping up (appropriately i think given the work put into them) in prices...especially the top end hardware necessary to seamlessly run it all. 

My system from 3 years ago is struggling to keep up with some of my new addons...and my library has stalled growing (except the occasional new aircraft, which I have to make room for by deleting an older one usually) until I can afford a newer machine to run it all. When I do, I think I will be leaving good old FSX behind and migrating to P3D.

• Like 2

That's an interesting post, John, and happy independence day, we didn't want you anyway! :D

There certainly seems to be a surge in interest in X-Plane and why not? It seems to be in as much active development as P3D and some of the alternative technology is excellent. My investment has been in P3D though and I could not afford to bring XP up to the same complexity.

However, we are always happy here at Mutley's to promote X-Plane. If anyone has any news then feel free to post away in our forums.

BTW, flightsim.com is my preferred download site as well.

My progression from default FSX to a world of so many different freeware options was eye opening and a learning experience combined. By all means give thanks to all those tireless developers that made flight simming such a great experience. I have since moved on to mostly payware but my simming fun wouldn't be half as good without all those neat little airport gems, gorgeous re-paints and fantastic utilities. Thanks to all those hard working hobbyists.:hat:

Like Matt my hard drive looks like in just ate a Thanksgiving dinner and is sleeping on the couch but I have had a great time cooking all those ingredients to it fatten it up. Might be time for a diet as there is a lot of unused stuff just sitting there after being superseded. :D 

x-Plane is a viable flight sim and I wouldn't doubt it has much to do with all those that have been bitten by that which is FSX and are perfectly happy with something that runs good right out of the box. Happy to see hobby developers making addons for it because like FSX before it the sim needs just as much help prettying it up. If I had the room I would probably pick it up just to check it out.

Good post John and thanks for sharing that bit of assessment.:)

47 minutes ago, mutley said:

...and happy independence day, we didn't want you anyway! 

I'd say it worked out fairly well on both sides of the Atlantic.  Maybe you were just placing us in ready reserve status in case the Germans got too feisty, which they did, twice.

Anyway, it looks like that hatchet has long been buried and I count the UK as one the US' two greatest friends in the world.  (The other one?  I'm not saying but it lies somewhere south of Lebanon and north of Egypt.)

John

• Haha 2

Some of the best aircraft I have used were freeware, often rivalling top-end payware (at the time - about 3-4 years since I was majorly active in simming). The DM Flight Sim stuff, and the CL-44 project that met an untimely end when the creator sadly passed away far too early were complex yet fun. Some of the Russian stuff too was incredibly complex (not helped by having the manuals in Russian as well as all the gauges!)