757 - CS or PSS... comments/advice for which to choose?

Hi all,

i think its about time i got myself a 1/2 decent payware 757. I know Captain Sim and PSS both have variants, but, and here's the ultimate question: whose is better?

I'm aware that CS version is built in 'blocks' and this means you must get each block individually in contrast to the PSS which is a single installer pacakge. I'm not bothered either way by this at all, i'm purely interested in the end result and the quality of the aircraft FDE, 2d Panel, VC, animations and external looks etc etc.

my system is getting on to be geriatric now with an 2.1GHz AMD and my good ol' (allbeit overclocked!) ATI9600Pro 256mb, so fps will also need to be considered also - i dont want a frame hog!

so, guys 'n' girls, what do we think.... its over to you!

Hi Simi,

I have the CS 757 and it's stunning visually but I don't have time to play with the avionics too much. I don't think CS have released Block D/F - Custom Flight Model and Advanced Systems Programming yet so if this is what you are after the PSS (Or JF) version will be the one for you.

Maybe Martin or Fred have opinions as they are more into airliners than me.

Cheers

Hi Simi,

It depends on what you're after to be honest. The CS757 undoubtedly has better visual model, but it lacks any complex systems like a PMDG or PSS simulation would have. On the other hand, the PSS bird has a slightly less realistic visual model, but in true PSS style the panel is one of the best around. You get systems and an FMC to play with too.

Dave

The PSS 757 fly's like a cessna!

There was confusion with the FDE, it has now been re-written by Rob Young, the best FDE creator in flight sim.

Certainly doesnt fly like a Cessna now :yikes:

Someone else wrote the PSS 777 FDE and then Rob came on board and did a fine job.

As for the 757, I thought Rob was on board from the word go.

There was an issue with the FDE I believe, a freeware version was being used initially for testing until the Rob Young version was ready, it accidentally got released with the product. It was a simple mistake and has now been corrected I believe.

Last I heard from JF, and MartYn will probably know more, is that initially the 757 will be released as an FS9 product unless PSS get a move on and manage to finish the FSX update, then the 757 will be FS9 and FSX compatible.

As for the 757 behaving like a Cessna, you have to be careful when you hear these comments, what exactly does 'handling like a Cessna' mean?

If the intention was to imply that the control axes have the feel of a smaller plane in terms of roll rate etc. then this can easily be addressed in the FDE.

Personally, as I am a man that insists on pin sharp 2D panels, then the PSS products are the best in my opinion, and now Rob is on board writing the FDE’s it's top notch in that respect also.

I remember when the 777 was released after SP2, Robs FDE did get me thinking, I commented on JF that it seemed to have too much inertia, it was decidedly tricky to slow down for approach, even with gear and flaps down. Courtesy of Norman, (ex pss) I received a reply from Rob himself explaining that the 777 has tremendous inertia due to its size and also due to the residual thrust from those enormous engines.

Not satisfied to take this on face value, I did my own research and discovered that Rob's 777 FDE was spot on in that respect. The 777 decelerated at exactly the rate it should.

I'm sure when released, and perhaps after the release of the 757 patches that are being worked on by PSS that the FDE will be pretty much spot on.

Personally I can't wait and to wet your apetite hear's a gret web site with all the 757 info and prcedures you need. :-)

http://www.757.org.uk/sops/index.html