Grand Canyon Mid-Air Collision, June 1956, Arizona, USA (MSFS).

At 10.31 am, on 30 June 1956, TWA & UAL airliners collided mid-air over the Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA, & crashed into the Canyon. All 128 people on the airliners perished. At the time, it was the worst aircraft accident in the USA. It shocked the nation & the world. It led to the eventual radical improvement in ATC through changed procedures, new technology & more personnel. Hope this video helps us to fly even more safely.

• Like 2

My take is TWA knew beforehand the altitude of the other flight yet still flew at that same altitude. Period.

Between 1948 and 1955 there were 127 collisions, 30 of which were airliners. ATC was already worried about midair crashes by 1955 due to the increased speeds of newer planes and lack of ATC coverage but in classic form government did nothing until this crash and the loss of life of 128 people, then they acted late as usual.

Thanks for the video and look at this crash Frank, well done.

1 hour ago, brett said:

My take is TWA knew beforehand the altitude of the other flight yet still flew at that same altitude. Period.

Between 1948 and 1955 there were 127 collisions, 30 of which were airliners. ATC was already worried about midair crashes by 1955 due to the increased speeds of newer planes and lack of ATC coverage but in classic form government did nothing until this crash and the loss of life of 128 people, then they acted late as usual.

Thanks for the video and look at this crash Frank, well done.

Thanks Brett. There is so much history behind your 2nd para, but it would have made my video too long. Another aspect was that civil and military ATC were forced to coordinate after years of bickering.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I agree with your Swiss cheese model of probable causation. The pilots should have more aware of the situation outside the aircraft?

Thanks for posting Frank.

• Thanks 1

I like to watch real pilots flying on youtube, it is surprising how many don't look out their windscreens for other planes in a timely manner.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, brett said:

I like to watch real pilots flying on youtube, it is surprising how many don't look out their windscreens for other planes in a timely manner.

Thanks Brett. I strongly agree with you. When learning to fly, and when undergoing flight reviews, and in the official documentation, “see and avoid” or “ see and be seen” is so strongly emphasised when flying VFR, but YouTubers can fill their cockpits with cameras and fly VFR while talking to their cameras, and the authorities say and do nothing! They are probably waiting for more YouTuber accidents! Cheers.

• Like 1