More leaked MSFS2024 images

Is it worth getting if all I do is what I have been doing all along, pick a half decent plane, make myself a flightplan for VFR and don't bother with a GPS. I like to fly visually with a map, always have. Don't much care for career mode and the other stuff they are showing but wouldn't mind a bit better scenery.

Any thoughts?

16 hours ago, Philmurfin said:

Still just a toy then!

Really! After flying MSFS 2020 since its day of release, and now with 3,500+ VATSIM flight hours in MSFS 2020, and with hundreds of more hours of multiplayer sessions, the experience matches the concensus and praise of real world pilots.

As MSFS 2024 is an iterative development that expands and further builds on MSFS 2020 it is certainly NOT a toy. This has been highlighted extensively by independent reviews, again, including by real world pilots.  It expands the whole MS Flight Simulator product concept to being more than just a jump in and fly flight simulator, by adding in adventures, careers, etc, to increase the appeal and providing aditional purpose in using the product. This will not appeal to some pundits, obviously, but then it was not just developed for such blinkered purists. As a flight simulator, MSFS 2024, can be different things to different users, whatever it is that floats your boat.....oh, and it has them too!

So, I am not sure how you have come to your extremely insightful assessment, an assessment which is extremely out of touch with the general concensus. Maybe you are one of those blinkered X-Plane users or merely a flying bus driver, both of which always seem to have a very biased view and that anything less is beneath them, who knows.

Bring on 19 Nov 24, I am going FLYING!!! :pilotic:

• Like 1
On 20/09/2024 at 05:20, brett said:

Is it worth getting if all I do is what I have been doing all along, pick a half decent plane, make myself a flightplan for VFR and don't bother with a GPS. I like to fly visually with a map, always have. Don't much care for career mode and the other stuff they are showing but wouldn't mind a bit better scenery.

Any thoughts?

Brett,

In short, no!

It is no secret that an objective of MS in developing MSFS 2020 and now MSFS 2024 was for a multi-platform flight simulator. This expanded their customer base to include the younger flight simmer. There is still truth though in the well worn cliche, "Consoles are for kids, PCs are for real simmers!", and there are certainly limitations in the functionality of MSFS on the xBox. MS also set out to creating the truly "next level" flight simulator and one that offered far more than just simple point to point flying. Again, this latter functionality is merely just a personal preference, and does not compromise nor detract from the fidelity of the aerodynamics and flying model on the PC based platform. Any limitations in the aerodynamics and flying model do not exist on the PC platform. Certainly based on my extensive flying experience in MSFS 2020, as eluded to in my post above, it very much is a bona fide flight simulator.

MS made a quantum leap in flight simulator development with MSFS 2020 and I am specifically referring to the development of the aerodynamics and flying model, scenery, graphics, expansive world, etc., and MSFS 2024 takes this to the next level again. The additional user experiences, such as adventures, careers, etc., are merely secondary to the core flight simulator, and it this latter which does not necessarily appeal to all.

X-Plane and the other legacy flight simulators, whilst continuing to evolve and possibly improve their flight dynamics, do not appear to have made the same level of the quantum leap in scenery, graphics, and expansive world that MSFS has. If simple point to point flying is your preference, then the legacy flight simulators will continue to serve you well. This makes these legacy products no less a flight simulator, as some would quickly label MSFS 2024, it just simply means they appeal to a different type of genuine flight simmer. However, the biased group of X-Plane users, particularly, continue to be so anti MSFS as a bona fide flight simulator. If the truth be known, very few of them probably have any first hand experience using MSFS 2020 let alone even owning it, so it beggars belief how they can come to any intellectual conclusions about MSFS 2024 - oh wait, the friend of a friend of an X-Plane user I saw make a post on AVSIM told me! :rofl:

The legacy flight simulators, whichever you are now using, will continue to serve your needs very well. You could consider MS 2024 Standard Version, however the implications of the hardware requirements could be a large consideration for you. For your purposes, I certainly could not justify the potential total cost, including any hardware requirements, to move to MSFS 2024.

Enjoy flying your "toy" flight simulator though, which just reminds me of a saying by Confucius about real knowledge is knowing the extent of one's ignorance! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, brett said:

Any thoughts?

Hey Brett. If it ain't broke don't fix it! 2020 will still be supported for a few more years. There are some good sceneries available from Orbx Direct including some fantastic bush flight bases to download.

• Like 1

Andy, I have been flying in MS2020 since its release, like you I find this sim very enjoyable and for all the reasons you have stated above have elevated it to 'The Bees Knees status' above FSX. As sim pilots I think we all fly place to place, we all just do it in different ways. As I do enjoy time and distance flying the most, I have taken full advantage of the advanced avionics in the glass panels for IFR flying. "Toy" you must have mixed me up with someone else.

Joe, I was looking at pre-ordering the Deluxe package of MS2024, it's only a hundred bucks and as I enjoy flying closer to the scenery it looked to me like they have improved said scenery. They also said they are taking more of the beef on their own servers with would serve me fine. I noticed they were holding many improvements back from 2020 so they could put the in the newer sim, as much as I like MS2020 there are still a few minor things that need to be fixed for a better sim experience. Will those be improved in the next few years in 2020, I'm not sure since they (MS) have a financial need for us to buy the next sim. I think I will buy it, who knows, I might get my inner mission playing mind back.

To you both,

I still fly on a laptop for reasons you know, it's a gaming one,

Predator Helios 300, 
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz (Clockable)
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Graphic card  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Not the best but it has worked well in this sim using a combo of High and Ultra settings. I also have decent Wi-Fi.

Thanks for all your input guys.

6 hours ago, brett said:

Predator Helios 300, 
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz (Clockable)
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Graphic card  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Not the best but it has worked well in this sim using a combo of High and Ultra settings. I also have decent Wi-Fi.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Brett,

Following up further, I found some information on the recommended hardware specs for MSFS 2024. It appears your current gaming laptop is close to the recommended spec, albeit short on RAM which is at the minimum level.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/

Contrary to my earlier recommendation, for the experience you are looking for, an upgrade to MSFS 2024 is probably worth the investment. The difference between the Standard Edition and Deluxe Edition is minimal, the Deluxe Edition includes everything from the Standard Edition plus ten additional aircraft and five additional handcrafted international airports. The included aircraft in each edition will have a combination of new aircraft and upgraded MSFS 2020 aircraft, and the number of included MSFS 2020 aircraft also increases with the higher editions. Either way, you will have no shortage of choice for aircraft. Reviewing the aircraft lists for each MSFS 2024 edition show which new aircraft and which upgraded MSFS 2020 aircraft are included.

Unless the ten additional aircraft and five additional handcrafted international airports are attractive to you, the Standard Edition would suffice. As with MSFS 2020, I would also expect there is the ability to purchase an upgrade to a higher edition if you find later that you want to expand your experience. With the price being, "...only a hundred bucks..." for the Deluxe Edition, the choice is yours.

Regards
Andrew

• Thanks 1

Andrew, thanks for that. I'll look and see if I can upgrade my RAM, although I haven't had a problem yet it's something that we can never have enough of. Whether or not I can do this with this laptop is another question.

I would have stuck with the Standard edition, but they smartly put the analog panel on the Cessna 172 in the Deluxe one which tells me it is still a popular choice for flying. I took on the task of learning and being comfortable with the glass panels which are great for IFR flying but those buttons drive me nuts when I just want a relaxing flight. Score one for Asobo. 

It's funny, when I first got into flight simming I couldn't get enough of trying to fly every plane available, now I fly a group of the same ones that I feel comfortable with and have a certain level of realistic assets. 

Anyway, appreciate the helpful comments. 

This short video provides a good side by side comparison of the graphics in MSFS 2020 and MSFS 2024. These comparison images were officially released by Microsoft at the recent MSFS 2024 Global Preview Event held in early Sep 24.

Towards the end of the video is an excellent system specifications chart for NVidia/Intel and AMD based PCs. This chart also includes an answer to the all important bandwidth question.

Cheers
Andrew

• Like 1

Sold!

Except for the dulling of colors in the Grand Canyon everything looks much improved. or should I say ten times improved. Thanks for the look. 

One thing I hope they have done is to show a bit of color difference between a mowed grass strip and the non-mowed, in MS2020 it's been all the same with that moving thick half grass, half weedy looking stuff. It has made finding the exact strip a bit tough.